Lets Play Guess the 0 to 60 - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

LC Model (2018)

Lets Play Guess the 0 to 60

Old 05-11-17, 02:15 PM   #31
missedapex
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos View Post
Did anyone actually read the MT article? My emphasis in bold.

"It lacks a dedicated launch program (which ordinarily enhances the transmission’s torque converter effectiveness, but here triggers a limp mode), so the 0-60 mph arrives in a stomp-and-go 4.8 seconds in the LC 500, and the quarter mile arrives in 13.2-second at 110.2-mph. Wheelspin is very slight with traction-control disabled. Anything under 5 seconds to 60 mph is “quick” in our book, but not what we’d call sports car quick. (Test driver’s notes reveal that the best run was achieved in Normal mode with the transmission in Drive, rather than Sport+ mode or manual shifting.)"

Does this mean they got the best results in normal mode without manual shifting or did they only test in with that method? It seems highly unlikely that it would be the former. My ISF would certainly not be as quick in Normal mode and leaving the auto to its own devices. I've heard of RCF owners getting better acceleration out of Sport than Sport+, but that's still with manual shifting in something other than normal mode.
You bring up a very interesting and valid point. I don’t read it the same way that you do, but I appreciate that you could be correct. I would be astonished that an outfit such as MT would not have tried and tested the other drive modes. When I read that portion of the paragraph and tried to come to some reasoning why they would have achieved a better time using ‘Normal’ mode. I was wondering if the shift points were less aggressive in ‘Normal’ mode thusly allowing the RPMs to drop further down and into more of a ‘sweet spot’ vs the other modes. Maybe, manual shifting and Sport/Sport+ modes overshoot the peak TQ/HP curve combo that is best for acceleration given their testing parameters (temp, traction, weight…).
missedapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 05:35 AM   #32
xellos
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedapex View Post
You bring up a very interesting and valid point. I don’t read it the same way that you do, but I appreciate that you could be correct. I would be astonished that an outfit such as MT would not have tried and tested the other drive modes. When I read that portion of the paragraph and tried to come to some reasoning why they would have achieved a better time using ‘Normal’ mode. I was wondering if the shift points were less aggressive in ‘Normal’ mode thusly allowing the RPMs to drop further down and into more of a ‘sweet spot’ vs the other modes. Maybe, manual shifting and Sport/Sport+ modes overshoot the peak TQ/HP curve combo that is best for acceleration given their testing parameters (temp, traction, weight…).
Yeah, it doesn't seem likely that MT wouldn't thoroughly test the LC's acceleration in all modes either. Just shocking that normal mode would put up the best numbers.
xellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 04:07 PM   #33
missedapex
Driver School Candidate

With even more ‘reviews’ (I used quotes as some of the write-ups are hardly at the level I would consider an honest review) coming in, there seems to be a very pronounced thread materializing. Which at its roots is that the LC is a beautiful luxury car that does not live up to its $100K price tag when it comes to performance even for a GT car. While I agree this can be debated for days with no clear or decisive winner. I just find it unfortunate that the LC’s performance was not fully realized with the plethora of gearing options granted by the new 10 speed. I hope the rumors around the LCF are not just rumors.
Old 05-17-17, 04:59 PM   #34
Frog98
Driver

I would like to see a variation of the new LS engine in the LC. Be nice to get some of that weight down. It is a great looking car!
Frog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 05:02 PM   #35
G Star
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
With even more ‘reviews’ (I used quotes as some of the write-ups are hardly at the level I would consider an honest review) coming in, there seems to be a very pronounced thread materializing. Which at its roots is that the LC is a beautiful luxury car that does not live up to its $100K price tag when it comes to performance even for a GT car. While I agree this can be debated for days with no clear or decisive winner. I just find it unfortunate that the LC’s performance was not fully realized with the plethora of gearing options granted by the new 10 speed. I hope the rumors around the LCF are not just rumors.
Have some links to reviews that talk about this? The ones I've read have shown writers content with the price for what you're getting. Moral of the story is that LC is a very desirable car even at 100k.
G Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 08:38 PM   #36
missedapex
Driver School Candidate

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-spend-100-000

https://www.cars.com/reviews/2018-le...1420695302013/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...t-test-review/

If the LC 500’s engine makes 471 peak horsepower at 7,100 rpm, has a reported 168-mph (electronically limited at the top of 5th gear) top-speed and ten (!) gears, one would hope/guess that those cogs’ ratios would be set rather close to one another to keep the engine on the boil—or at least first through fifth would be short, leaving sixth through 10th with mind-numbing fuel-sipping overdrive ratios. Part of this is true: seventh gear is 1:1, and gears eight-10 are indeed overdrive, but a tall (numerically small) 2.94:1 rear-differential ratio, conspire to take the kick out of what is potentially a spicy recipe. Even accelerating at wide-open throttle, gears one through four linger and pull for an inordinate amount of time. It sounds great, and there’s a definite surge of power as the tachometer sweeps over the 4,000 mark on its way to peak torque output at 4,800 rpm. So why not upshift into that sweet spot every time? Instead, redline upshifts into gears three-five occur downslope of the engine’s torque curve thereby missing out on the surge of torque.

Last edited by missedapex; 05-18-17 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 12:18 PM   #37
Ahhadanny
Driver

Quote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-spend-100-000

https://www.cars.com/reviews/2018-le...1420695302013/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...t-test-review/

If the LC 500’s engine makes 471 peak horsepower at 7,100 rpm, has a reported 168-mph (electronically limited at the top of 5th gear) top-speed and ten (!) gears, one would hope/guess that those cogs’ ratios would be set rather close to one another to keep the engine on the boil—or at least first through fifth would be short, leaving sixth through 10th with mind-numbing fuel-sipping overdrive ratios. Part of this is true: seventh gear is 1:1, and gears eight-10 are indeed overdrive, but a tall (numerically small) 2.94:1 rear-differential ratio, conspire to take the kick out of what is potentially a spicy recipe. Even accelerating at wide-open throttle, gears one through four linger and pull for an inordinate amount of time. It sounds great, and there’s a definite surge of power as the tachometer sweeps over the 4,000 mark on its way to peak torque output at 4,800 rpm. So why not upshift into that sweet spot every time? Instead, redline upshifts into gears three-five occur downslope of the engine’s torque curve thereby missing out on the surge of torque.
Because it is not defined as a performance car. It's a car to attract eyeballs and offer a smooth ride.
As my local dealer told me, the performance of LC is enough for a Lexus driver. And they don't expect to sell very many of them since you have lots of alternatives at the price 100k.
Ahhadanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 04:36 PM   #38
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhadanny View Post
Because it is not defined as a performance car. It's a car to attract eyeballs and offer a smooth ride.
As my local dealer told me, the performance of LC is enough for a Lexus driver. And they don't expect to sell very many of them since you have lots of alternatives at the price 100k.
I guess Oregon isn't the right market. My dealer has sold out their allocation for the year.
TimboIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 07:13 PM   #39
missedapex
Driver School Candidate

Well I just got back from a test drive and I will admit that the car does have some get up and go. It does not pull as hard as I had wished but it fees plenty quick enough after 20mph'ish. The back seats are a joke, my 14 year daughter could not sit behind my seat and had to sit behind the sales person on the passenger side. Net net, I put a deposit down for the next one that comes in with the performance package.