LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 trans overheating issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-22, 10:54 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by jbuffett
A quick update since I've now also attended a Lexus Performance Driving School event, at Circuit of The Americas (the US Formula 1 track) in Austin. If you've never done one, absolutely go do one. We did some quick back-of-the-napkin math and it's hard to see how Lexus isn't losing money on these events (i.e. marketing expense). We did 11 fast laps around COTA in LC500's, two autocross segments of 3 laps each in the new IS500 then about 10-15 minutes of skidpad time each in an RC-F. The per-driver cost isn't trivial, but for comparable experiences at the same venue for how much you get to do with breakfast/lunch included it's a bargain.

In the Q&A session with Scott Pruett I asked about the LC's cooling, he acknowledged that it was a GT car rather than a track car, and that it needed more cooling to be a track car. For the main track we would do 3-lap segments, there were 4 groups of 3 participants with an instructor in a 4th car in the lead. The instructors all drove RC-F's, all the "hot laps" where participants could ride with instructors at the end of the day were done in RC-F's. The RC-F has upgraded trans cooling over the LC.

The day started off cool in the 30's, and got into the high 50's or low. The pavement warmed notably from the sun over the day. My two friends and I were the "fast group" of our 12, we passed other groups twice and our instructor really let us push the cars. The fastest speeds we typically saw on a good lap were up to about 140. They recommended against manual mode, they also recommended Sport over Sport S+. I ran the entire day in Sport and never experienced a high trans temp warning. My two friends ran in Sport S+ for one of their runs and both saw a high trans temp warning at the end of their runs. We were driving in a group so pushing the cars largely the same on those runs.

I expect that a hotter day would have caused more issues, however I also never expect to run my own car this hard. So to confirm the general consensus reached earlier, "probably not a problem for how most of us will drive these cars". I'd still prefer more trans cooling for the car -- cooler average temps long-term means less issues -- but at this point I'd say it's not necessary unless/until I start experiencing these issues myself on hot days.
Great follow-up!

I parrot your thoughts exactly. I wish the LC had a better trans cooler as well but the way 99% of us drive 99% of the time it will never be an issue.

COTA is a fabulous track to drive. I haven't done the Lexus Experience at COTA but I did get to participate in the AMG Driving Academy there in 2014. I particularly love the Turn 6 thru Turn 10 sequence. Glad you got to experience it!
The following users liked this post:
vraa (03-21-22)
Old 03-20-22, 10:37 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
COTA is a fabulous track to drive. I haven't done the Lexus Experience at COTA but I did get to participate in the AMG Driving Academy there in 2014. I particularly love the Turn 6 thru Turn 10 sequence. Glad you got to experience it!
The S's then turn 10 was where the "hot lap" at the end of the day really showed me how to improve my driving. I did particularly well on skidpad so got to hot lap with Scott Pruett, he basically went right over the curbs through the S's. Turn 10 for us had a slight bump which, combined with being flat out and the apex being a little blind until you top that hill, I had a really hard time not lifting for. The car just hits the bump at 10 and hops sideways a little bit, which is unnerving to do at ~120 MPH.

We're watching for the one next year at Road Atlanta.
vraa (03-21-22)
Old 03-31-22, 05:16 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 565 Likes on 305 Posts

besides the tranny overheating, why on earth did they only come with 8 way adjustable seats and not 16 or possibly 32? for a 120k+ car to have only 8 way adjustable seats on a GRAND TOURER makes no sense.

I was shopping for one to replace my 2008 maserati gran turismo and i had a few issues that kept me from buying it at full sticker.

1) heavy
2) 4.7sec for 0-60 is the same numbers my maserati gran turismo was doing back in 2008. Granted i know its not a numbers car, but i feel that at this price point you really should be getting more pep for that sort of money.
3) the infotainment is kind of a joke. Thank god they have apple car play now but it still seems outdated.
4) The interior just isnt as nice as something like a S class coupe or SL. especially the seats.... i really cant forgive them for the limited adjustability on the seats

they nailed the exhaust note, nailed the reliability (probably) and the styling but missed on a few important things. Ill keep my granturismo... it depreciated so much i might as well drive it into the ground.
Old 03-31-22, 10:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,296 Posts

^^^^Actually the seats in the Touring package are 10 way and 8 way with the sport seats with the Alcantara inserts. For me the seats have plenty of adjustability. I can't imagine what additional adjustments would be. IOW, the seats fit me just fine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...and-seats.html
LXSDO (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
besides the tranny overheating, why on earth did they only come with 8 way adjustable seats and not 16 or possibly 32? for a 120k+ car to have only 8 way adjustable seats on a GRAND TOURER makes no sense.

I was shopping for one to replace my 2008 maserati gran turismo and i had a few issues that kept me from buying it at full sticker.

1) heavy
2) 4.7sec for 0-60 is the same numbers my maserati gran turismo was doing back in 2008. Granted i know its not a numbers car, but i feel that at this price point you really should be getting more pep for that sort of money.
3) the infotainment is kind of a joke. Thank god they have apple car play now but it still seems outdated.
4) The interior just isnt as nice as something like a S class coupe or SL. especially the seats.... i really cant forgive them for the limited adjustability on the seats

they nailed the exhaust note, nailed the reliability (probably) and the styling but missed on a few important things. Ill keep my granturismo... it depreciated so much i might as well drive it into the ground.
well aren't you a little ray of sunshine?

- seats are incredibly comfortable for even long drives
- car doesn't feel heavy when driving, particularly as i have the dynamic handling package
- plenty of faster cars to be sure, but plenty fast enough for me
- infotainment / trackpad is indeed bad, would prefer a rotary controller, but i'm glad i don't have touch screen fingerprints
- interior materials and fit are excellent

i really cant forgive them for the limited adjustability on the seats
haha, sorry you can't forgive lexus. would be nice if the height of the front/back of the seat bottom could be adjusted separately, and maybe a seat bottom extender, but when i just get in and drive, these things are the furthest thing from my mind as i grin from ear to ear.

enjoy your 2008 maserati.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
LXSDO (04-01-22), raider888 (04-01-22)
Old 04-01-22, 11:54 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Best seats in the game. Comfortable. Don't need gimmick adjustments.
Old 04-01-22, 06:45 PM
breplica
Pit Crew

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a Steelcase Gesture office chair at home. It is at best a 6 way or maybe 8 way adjustable seat. For long duration comfort it ****s over any 12 way or 16 way or whatever way seat you can find in any car that has ever existed

My dad's porsche panamera has 16 way adjustment (or was it 18 way?) and my LC500 sport seats literally **** all over it in not just in comfort but how well you are held in the car during cornering.

This obsession with paper specs and numbers baffles me. The LC500 is not a numbers car. if you're that kind of buyer, this car is not for you
The following 5 users liked this post by breplica:
bitkahuna (04-01-22), DRGibbons (04-04-22), guanche2k9 (04-02-22), raider888 (04-01-22), vraa (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 10:24 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by breplica
I have a Steelcase Gesture office chair at home. It is at best a 6 way or maybe 8 way adjustable seat.
I find them to be better chairs than the Aeron IMO
breplica (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22, 04:26 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Badhobz
they make adjustable beds with the onions your looking for, try a Temperpedic, comfort Plus! Lc is not for you man!
Old 04-04-22, 06:39 AM
pedroelbee
Driver

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

1) heavy

I totally disagree on the interior comment. I think it's luxurious, even opulent, without being ostentatious. I find the new Mercedes interiors kind of tacky honestly, way too much going on. The LC's interior is just stunning, well-built and high-quality. Go ahead and buy an S class coupe, and join the hundreds of others you see every day.
Old 04-04-22, 09:22 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pedroelbee
I totally disagree on the interior comment. I think it's luxurious, even opulent, without being ostentatious. I find the new Mercedes interiors kind of tacky honestly, way too much going on. The LC's interior is just stunning, well-built and high-quality. Go ahead and buy an S class coupe, and join the hundreds of others you see every day.
Get the LS, best of both worlds. The problem was the LC did look good in pre-release pics, so ordered one as soon as the books opened. I do regret buying the LC though. It’s has nice styling and the interior quality was ok, but just didn’t excite me. It was not a great daily (lack of trunk and rear seats) and nothing special for a weekend car.
Old 04-04-22, 09:29 AM
pedroelbee
Driver

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Get the LS, best of both worlds. The problem was the LC did look good in pre-release pics, so ordered one as soon as the books opened. I do regret buying the LC though. It’s has nice styling and the interior quality was ok, but just didn’t excite me. It was not a great daily (lack of trunk and rear seats) and nothing special for a weekend car.
Compared to a Lambo I guess not, but compared to 98% of other stuff out there, I think it's a really exciting vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by pedroelbee:
FLBill (04-05-22), threeputt (04-04-22)
Old 04-04-22, 03:19 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 249 Posts

I was shopping to replace my 2008 maserati gran turismo

.I'll keep my granturismo... it depreciated so much i might as well drive it into the ground.
There's a reason your 14 year old Maserati GranTurismo is only worth $15-20K. I think it's probably a perfect car for you. Keep enjoying it in good health. I'll keep my LC, Thank you.
Old 04-04-22, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by fodalo
Badhobz
they make adjustable beds with the onions your looking for, try a Temperpedic, comfort Plus! Lc is not for you man!
adjustable beds with the onions?

Old 04-05-22, 06:10 AM
threeputt
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
adjustable beds with the onions?

Perhaps he meant options and not onions
bitkahuna (04-05-22)

Quick Reply: LC500 trans overheating issues?