IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No ISFs for sale?? What do you think it means? Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 08:56 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No ISFs for sale?? What do you think it means? Good or bad?

Just tossing out a topic to the forum for facts or opinions around the rarity of the Lexus ISF and what does that mean to the resale of the 2008 - 2014 Models?

I’ve been looking for a while at the amount of ISF’s for sale nationwide and they have been very rare . Today’s search yielded only 5 to 9 nationwide. Granted covid 19 has definitely had an impact yet the ISF has always been low in used car inventory.

I am not looking to buy, as I have one already, but just looking to see if fellow Lexus owners think this rarity is a good thing or a bad thing ?
is it rare because no one really wants one?
or is it rare resale because everyone is holding what they got?

what do you all think or know? Fact or opinions welcome?
Old 01-10-21, 09:39 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Owners like them so they keep them. Like the Lx470.
The following 2 users liked this post by winterturb:
LexusfanVA (01-11-21), vraa (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 10:48 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I regret selling my IS-F and my LX470

My life is mostly full of bad decisions
The following 5 users liked this post by vraa:
alpha0M3G4 (01-15-21), Beachtyme (03-25-21), chelms166 (01-30-21), Quadrphnia (01-29-21), texnJpr (04-25-22)
Old 01-11-21, 06:44 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

The vast majority of the ones I see posted on nationwide sites or at dealers are trash or just not aware. I know about 20+ local DC owners and the vast majority of them including myself bought their cars off private owners. A ton of ISF's I see posted on the FB ISF pages sell to other private owners.

As an example, my 2012 white on red ISF in stock shape is listed as $25-29k on KBB "trade-in". NADA quotes it at $23k trade in with retail of $27k. Seeing what ISF's on the FB pages have sold for in the past 6 months, I have no question I could sell it at $32k next week, and $36k+ if I'm patient. I also have quality modifications and the car is pristine with paint corrected and protected with ceramic, so if I found the right buyer, or parted it out I could probably get $38k+

The car market has also exploded the past year with Covid. LX/GX values have gone up nearly 40% in some cases. Seems a lot of people are downsizing from newer 4runners to older GX/LX's, and probably from newer turbo or $$$ sports cars to older reliable V8's. Also, seems every other month ISF's are getting crashed or exported, so numbers are only going lower.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (01-16-21)
Old 01-11-21, 07:14 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Is the surge in used car demand related to bad economic circumstances? I ask because, if I get in a bind financially, I’d be looking for something cheaper than an ISF (theoretically).
Old 01-11-21, 08:16 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
I regret selling my IS-F and my LX470

My life is mostly full of bad decisions
lol. Two of the best vehicles Lexus ever made. Sorry shouldn’t laugh as I sold two Lx’s in 2020 thought I did good until the price jumped a month later. Oops. Mine were rusted out with high miles so letting them go although hard wasn’t as bad as if they were pristine.

vraa (01-11-21)
Old 01-11-21, 08:23 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by winterturb
lol. Two of the best vehicles Lexus ever made. Sorry shouldn’t laugh as I sold two Lx’s in 2020 thought I did good until the price jumped a month later. Oops. Mine were rusted out with high miles so letting them go although hard wasn’t as bad as if they were pristine.
Life is about laughing! I laugh every day!

Now I have to troll on ih8mud just to get my LX fix

I don't feel the 200 series will leave a lasting impression on me - feels too fat and unwieldy
Yri (01-18-21)
Old 01-11-21, 08:30 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Life is about laughing! I laugh every day!

Now I have to troll on ih8mud just to get my LX fix

I don't feel the 200 series will leave a lasting impression on me - feels too fat and unwieldy

it does. I was looking at them and bought a tundra TRd Pro instead. Better ride same running gear and half the price. Will last just as long. The only issue is parking at Costco and The grocery stores. Otherwise the space inside is marvellous compared to the LX

Am looking forward to trying an LC to see if it’s as special as the ISF otherwise keeping the ISF until some better comes along. ( been waiting for Mercedes to build a better car than the w123 and that’s never happened).

The ISF may end up being the best car Lexus ever builds
Old 01-11-21, 08:33 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Is the surge in used car demand related to bad economic circumstances? I ask because, if I get in a bind financially, I’d be looking for something cheaper than an ISF (theoretically).
Over the summer it was due to the limited new cars on the lot due to April automaker shutdowns. Plus, more people were leaving the cities or had extra time on their hands and needed or wanted a vehicle and the extra stimulus helped. Many used car values have gone and stayed up.

There's a clear divide because for some of my friends the shutdowns were painful, but for a majority they saw a great way to save on their vacations and commuting expenses, and some industries simply flourished. For me personally in April I wanted a cheap 4X4 and to go more offroading, but it seems so did everyone else. Overlanding hobby seems to have shot up like crazy. Since early 2020 I've contemplated upgrading to a new Supra or used F80 M3, but am very happy with the ISF and if really needed will just downsize to a GX/Miata.
Hardrvin (01-13-21)
Old 01-11-21, 08:51 AM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Isf numbers have been low for a long time and there are a good number of salvage/rebuilt titles surprisingly.
clean title units seem steady and may now appreciate in value.
Most cars of what I call the golden era of motoring/manufacturer wars 80s-90s have been going up past 10 years

past 2 years has seen a remarkable jump for e36 m3, s2000, e46m etc

overlanding as mentioned has exploded during the covid situation itself raising the values of many lx/gx and other trucks

e36m was astonishing due to the fact a little over 4 years ago can get a clean taken care of driver for 4-8k all day. That same condition I see now exceeds 12-15k easily.
Old 01-11-21, 09:27 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

good for us owners lolz, bad for those suckers wanted one
Old 01-11-21, 10:58 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

The ones listed in Marketplace don't seem to go to quick, however there is always many more WTB ads than cars for sale. So the Supply is indeed short of demand.
Old 01-11-21, 01:34 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by winterturb
it does. I was looking at them and bought a tundra TRd Pro instead. Better ride same running gear and half the price. Will last just as long. The only issue is parking at Costco and The grocery stores. Otherwise the space inside is marvellous compared to the LX

Am looking forward to trying an LC to see if it’s as special as the ISF otherwise keeping the ISF until some better comes along. ( been waiting for Mercedes to build a better car than the w123 and that’s never happened).

The ISF may end up being the best car Lexus ever builds
That's one of my biggest beefs too - I'd love the Tacoma TRD Pro, but no LED headlights make me sad.....
Old 01-11-21, 02:00 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

That's one of my biggest beefs too - I'd love the Tacoma TRD Pro, but no LED headlights make me sad.....
Dont drive it a night. always a simple solution for complex problems. Or put a big red neck light bar on it. The suspension of the Pro's sure makes them nice rides. The Pro will be like the ISF 15 years down the road, hi resale and well sought after.
Old 01-11-21, 02:44 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

I wish! My cravings for pizza always happen at 2am and the pizza truck that's open on east side of downtown Houston is at least 10 minutes away!

Quick Reply: No ISFs for sale?? What do you think it means? Good or bad?