IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

"Wheel of Fortune" rattle when decelerating\coasting from ~35mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 02:08 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

That last video is similar to what I hear, and Lobuxracer you're right, dd thing is it only happens at low speed between certain ranges.
Old 06-12-19, 06:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

I removed the console entirely and went for a drive today to check some things out.

1. The noise is much louder without the console - it does a pretty amazing job of making the cabin quieter.
2. The noise sounds like it is coming from or possibly through the shifter mechanism.
3. Shifting into neutral and removing the load from the driveline while the noise is in progress makes no difference to the sound or the sound level.
4. Shifting into manual mode makes no difference to the sound or the sound level.

Upon restoring the console to its proper position (the console and all relevant parts needed to keep it in the car were not present for the drive), the noise temporarily subsided. The quiet lasted about 15 miles, then returned. There is also the same noise on acceleration at almost precisely 18 mph indicated. It is possible to make the noise pretty constantly on a small downgrade if you keep the speed in the right range. I have a short road very near my home that is a small downhill followed by a similar small uphill. I looped it (I am sure if anyone was watching they were thinking I was up to something nefarious) about a dozen times to try to isolate the source, but it really sounds as if it is coming from inside the shifter mechanism. There is no guidance from the factory on disassembling the shifter mechanism. It is a remove and replace only part. As one might guess I am hesitant to disassemble it without a spare on hand to replace it. I found a junkyard part for $220. I have to think about whether I want to gamble on it being the actual cause. The other thing to do is to ensure the bolts connecting the shifter to the transmission are tight and the wear points in the mechanism are not loose (worn bushing, etc.) causing the noise to come up through the shifter itself.
The following users liked this post:
Quadrphnia (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 04:43 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 61 Posts

That noise is normal trans whine.
Want to hear it more,just get a solid trans mount from figs.

You will hear all the strangest nosies from the trans. Definitely not for the picky type. Lol
Old 06-13-19, 06:58 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Wheel of Fortune rattle is exactly what mine sounds like in reverse on cold days with the steering wheel 70-100% hard over. That's the perfect way to describe the sound.
Originally Posted by PJSnow
Well here is the video intended for that previous post (#10 above):
I don't have this sound, the one I was referring to is much louder and much more of a SNAP. Regardless I'll be keeping up with this thread.
Old 06-13-19, 08:04 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll have to give a better listen, but I believe I also have this noise as it's present at the same exact speeds 35-40. I don't think mine is as loud. My car, 2008, had some missing clips under passenger side front door (it holds the rocker panel plastic). I replaced those, but I was thinking my noise was related to a panel that was "flapping" at a particular speed. I'll give a better listen.
Old 06-13-19, 07:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by viprez586
That noise is normal trans whine.
Want to hear it more,just get a solid trans mount from figs.

You will hear all the strangest nosies from the trans. Definitely not for the picky type. Lol
No. Mine never did this until very recently.
Old 06-13-19, 10:58 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I removed the console entirely and went for a drive today to check some things out.

1. The noise is much louder without the console - it does a pretty amazing job of making the cabin quieter.
2. The noise sounds like it is coming from or possibly through the shifter mechanism.
3. Shifting into neutral and removing the load from the driveline while the noise is in progress makes no difference to the sound or the sound level.
4. Shifting into manual mode makes no difference to the sound or the sound level.

Upon restoring the console to its proper position (the console and all relevant parts needed to keep it in the car were not present for the drive), the noise temporarily subsided. The quiet lasted about 15 miles, then returned. There is also the same noise on acceleration at almost precisely 18 mph indicated. It is possible to make the noise pretty constantly on a small downgrade if you keep the speed in the right range. I have a short road very near my home that is a small downhill followed by a similar small uphill. I looped it (I am sure if anyone was watching they were thinking I was up to something nefarious) about a dozen times to try to isolate the source, but it really sounds as if it is coming from inside the shifter mechanism. There is no guidance from the factory on disassembling the shifter mechanism. It is a remove and replace only part. As one might guess I am hesitant to disassemble it without a spare on hand to replace it. I found a junkyard part for $220. I have to think about whether I want to gamble on it being the actual cause. The other thing to do is to ensure the bolts connecting the shifter to the transmission are tight and the wear points in the mechanism are not loose (worn bushing, etc.) causing the noise to come up through the shifter itself.
There is no physical connection between the shift mechanism and the gearbox its all electrical, it sounds like tail shaft which are a pain to get to, not if you have a hoist though.
Old 06-13-19, 11:11 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Worn bushings, ujoints etc. All the videos in this thread sound exactly like trans NVH.
You're all describing a noise occuring directly above the trans tunnel which is an echo chamber itself.
Remember any noise is simply vibration.
In one video the low speed lugging in high gear is going to generate vibration regardless of how new or tight tolerances are.

Originally Posted by isfvss
There is no physical connection between the shift mechanism and the gearbox its all electrical, it sounds like tail shaft which are a pain to get to, not if you have a hoist though.
Nope.
Old 06-14-19, 01:47 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks viprez never assume anything
Old 06-14-19, 02:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Sorry, not going to believe this is normal. I bought the car new unlike many members here now. It never made this noise until recently and it is NOT normal. Sure it might be a worn bushing in the shift linkage, or some piece in the shifter mechanism itself showing its age, but when you go 150k miles with nothing, then this pops up, it isn't normal at all.
Old 06-14-19, 04:23 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

Can you post a sound/video clip?
Old 06-14-19, 05:11 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry, not going to believe this is normal. I bought the car new unlike many members here now. It never made this noise until recently and it is NOT normal. Sure it might be a worn bushing in the shift linkage, or some piece in the shifter mechanism itself showing its age, but when you go 150k miles with nothing, then this pops up, it isn't normal at all.
Mine is a 2011 and only has 52,000 miles. Not sure if it has to do with mechanical wear or if age has something to do with it?
Old 09-01-19, 01:04 AM
GCCISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have the exact noise pop up recently. Have you managed to sort what the actual issue is?
Old 09-01-19, 02:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Forgot to talk to you about this... But I think I have this phenomena when I pull away in the morning..

Throwing in my .02 cents based on age of parts; has anyone replaced the Rear Engine / Trans. Mount that sits right under the center console box undercarriage ???

Joe Z
Old 09-02-19, 03:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Might be that, but I suspect its either a bushing in the shift linkage or the driveshaft center bearing. Still need to get the car up in the air and check.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Z (09-02-19)

Quick Reply: "Wheel of Fortune" rattle when decelerating\coasting from ~35mph