"Wheel of Fortune" rattle when decelerating\coasting from ~35mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 01:58 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default "Wheel of Fortune" rattle when decelerating\coasting from ~35mph

Hello All,

Starting a new thread for an issue that has been reported on various other threads, but with no dedicated solution (as of yet.)
The vehicle I have is a 2011 ISF with ~65k miles now. Noise was present since ~40k miles.
Mods are only XForce catback exhaust. The exhaust is not the culprit since the noise was present before and after install.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10506339
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9779090

Issue is when coasting on decel from ~35mph, a "rattle" or "wheel of fortune" clicking noise can be heard within the passenger compartment, but difficult to isolate where the rattle is coming from.
The noise sounds like it's emanating from the passenger front area, but again, difficult to isolate.
It is not all the time, but it is pretty frequent, I would say I hear it maybe 7/10 times when decelerating.
The rattle also goes away upon decel from ~28mph and lower. Meaning the rattle noise only can be heard when decel from ~35mph until ~29mph, then goes away.

Items/services performed that does NOT fix the issue:
- Replaced both front wheel hubs
- Checked rear wheel hubs for loose "ring nut." Tight, and no noises
- Checked all plastic under panels to see if they're flapping, all secure.
- Checked to see if the water pump was leaking. Not leaking.
- Checked for crack headers, no cracks.

Anyone who has any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by itsmike177; 06-06-19 at 02:01 PM.

Popular Reply

04-12-20, 03:22 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Well finally had time to install the new OEM trans mount... As mentioned previously you can no longer order the fully built part number.. If you do, they will either cancel your order or reprocess it with all the part #'s separately..

The old mount in my car was driven 11 years & 180k miles.. On my 2008.

The new mount measured approximately 5-6 mm taller in its new condition. I opted to order 8 new nuts & bracket for a cleaner fresh install.

I only was able to take a short brief drive and it appears to have solved the noise issue. I've had to take short drives to air up a slow leaking tire every few days. So I know how to create the noise at slow constant speeds.

Once we get back to normal life & driving conditions I can fully report of the noise is 100% solved.

Even if this isn't the source of the noise, for sure my OEM unit reached the end of its service life.
Distored & compressed. Will need to inspect further for separation or cracks.

Here's some pictures of part numbers needed & installation..

Preferable to be done on a lift, if doing this work at home you will need proper jack & jack stands.
DIY at your own risk.

Joe Z

FYI - These same parts are found on all RC F & GS F

Old 06-06-19, 02:46 PM
smaggs
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

You checked headers for cracks but did you check the flange to the XForce exhaust for possible leaks? Initial thought sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere...
Old 06-06-19, 02:51 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by smaggs
You checked headers for cracks but did you check the flange to the XForce exhaust for possible leaks? Initial thought sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere...
Thanks for the suggestion, but yes, checked all the connections such as header to exhaust bolts.
Rattle decel noise issue is present before and after the XForce exhaust was installed.
Old 06-06-19, 03:02 PM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a very similar issue but it sounds more like a faint frog croaking. It is not loud at all and I need to try to hear it (video does not pick it up). I have narrowed it down to coasting between 33 mph and 29 mpg. Sounds like it is coming from the area near the cup holder. I can't figure out what it is. Not the most annoying or worrying sound because it is so faint but it bothers me that I can't figure it out. Would love to know if anyone here can figure it out.
Old 06-06-19, 09:13 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I would check your drive-shaft, maybe needs to be re-balanced. The drive-shaft bearing support would be my main suspect as I had pretty similar experience on my other car (not ISF).

Last edited by Rossi; 06-06-19 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 09:58 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I had PPE headers installed and somehow my heat shield was slightly bent making my passenger side rattle whenever I accelerated. I just went under and re-bent it back. I have a video of it, not sure if you're having the same problem.

Skip to 0:59

Old 06-07-19, 12:16 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Wheel of Fortune rattle is exactly what mine sounds like in reverse on cold days with the steering wheel 70-100% hard over. That's the perfect way to describe the sound.

However mine only happens in reverse and it only happens once per drive. It's a low frequency "snap" type sound, metal on metal. I've no idea why it happens with my car but I'm damn near certain it's the same issue as you, just more intermittent. Again, really good comparison on the sound, WoF is EXACTLY what it sounds like.
Old 06-07-19, 01:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

I have this same noise the OP describes and it's driving me nuts. Really only on decel between 38 and 34 mph, and it's more like a chatter than anything to me. The source sounds like the passenger's door or the glove box or maybe the B pillar when I am sitting in the driver's seat. I have not had the wife drive me around at the right speed while sitting on the right to better localize the source. Earlier this week, I thought I had found the source when I removed the entire glove box and found a plastic panel above the panel for changing the cabin air filter. This panel has tabs at the top, and a long groove on the bottom that is supposed to fit into the plastic shell for the rest of the glove box. I tapped on it, and it made what I thought was the sound, so I taped it with HVAC aluminum tape and went for a drive. Silence for a 10 minute test drive. The next day, and it was back again. This was after:

1. Replaced sunroof seal and lubricated with 3M 08897 dry type silicone lubricant
2. Lubricated passenger's side door seals with 3M 08897 dry type silicone lubricant
3. Removed passenger's seat and examined the switch assembly (I recall I8ABMR had a rattle with this in his car) as well as everything else on the seat to be sure all was tight and not rattling and all kid's trash was removed from under the seat and mounts.
4. Checked all dashboard mount bolts for tightness (this seemed to coincide with the passenger's airbag replacement - factory says the dash needs to come out to do this, after disassembling this area, I am not so sure this is true)
5. Did the obvious - removed all items from the glove box and from the door storage (that was actually the first thing I tried), and I have removed the car seats to ensure it isn't something in the car seat causing the noise.

I noticed the other day while making a dash across the border that at 85 mph the noise shows up too. It feels like I have a wheel out of balance (very possible) and the vibration it causes at 85 mph causes the noise to show up. I don't recommend everyone with the problem to run out and test this, but if you have an opportunity to try it, it could be another data point.

Any additional input on this is absolutely welcome. If we pool our experiences, we might actually find the root cause, but I have a suspicion it has something to do with the dash simply because it did completely disappear briefly when I had everything but the safety pad removed and reinstalled (I was working on wiring up my illuminated door sills, and I want it wired just like factory, so I had a considerable amount of stuff removed.)

Another quick thought - do all of us have illuminated door sills or not? I hadn't thought about it, but I could remove the lit one and replace it with the original unit for test purposes.
Old 06-07-19, 01:13 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

- It's not the heat shields as I've triple checked and they are not hitting anything.
- I do not have illuminated door sills and issue is still present.

Driveshaft / driveshaft bearing suggestion would probably be the next thing to check, but if it was out of balance, wouldn't vibrations be felt?
The car is smooth from 0 - "above highway speeds."

Lubox maybe right, could be something in the dash....which I'm not ready to disassemble just yet....
Old 06-10-19, 06:38 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

So we were able to record the sound this weekend (you will need to turn up your speakers or put on headphones to hear it). It is very faint but it seemed to be more prominent in the center storage under the armrest. That is the only place the video would pick up the sound.

Attachment 478250
Old 06-10-19, 03:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's weird. I had the center console out to install the noise filter on the aux input and I couldn't find anything that looked like a noise maker when I had it out - except the screws on the ashtray were loose.

So the only place loud enough to record it was right on the center console? Might be time to take a ride with it removed and see what's up.
Old 06-11-19, 01:44 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

This was exactly what I had asked like 2 years back, "Wheel of Fortune" Noise coming on while decelerating.

I'm surprised that most believe it is coming from the interior as I remember I could hear it coming from the wheels (I believe mine was the driver's side front wheel).

I could hear it much clearer if my window was down and it was a sound coming from outside the car and not inside the car.

I suspected the wheel hubs but haven't changed them, seeing how the OP has already changed his hubs I think that won't be the problem.

if it's a wheel of fortune sound that comes on while decelerating and goes with the movement inertia of the car wouldn't that make it more likely that it would be an issue with the wheels or differential?
Old 06-11-19, 01:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Defratos
This was exactly what I had asked like 2 years back, "Wheel of Fortune" Noise coming on while decelerating.

I'm surprised that most believe it is coming from the interior as I remember I could hear it coming from the wheels (I believe mine was the driver's side front wheel).

I could hear it much clearer if my window was down and it was a sound coming from outside the car and not inside the car.

I suspected the wheel hubs but haven't changed them, seeing how the OP has already changed his hubs I think that won't be the problem.

if it's a wheel of fortune sound that comes on while decelerating and goes with the movement inertia of the car wouldn't that make it more likely that it would be an issue with the wheels or differential?
The odd thing here is it only happens between 38 and 34 mph indicated for me. The rest of the time, nothing.
Old 06-11-19, 02:13 PM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

So I can't post a video straight from my computer... it needs to be uploaded to youtube first...

Well here is the video intended for that previous post (#10 above):
Old 06-11-19, 02:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes indeed, that's it. Very interesting that the loudest place to record is with the console box open.

I'll pull mine out and go for a drive to see if it gets louder. I am starting to wonder now if Rossi has it right and the driveshaft center bearing is showing its age.

Quick Reply: "Wheel of Fortune" rattle when decelerating\coasting from ~35mph