IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OEM style spoiler painted or carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 02:24 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts
Default OEM style spoiler painted or carbon fiber

My OEM spoiler is riddled with so much water damage due to rains that trying to buff it out made it worse. It looks really faded with a ton of scratches. Wondering what would be a good OEM replacement without having to pay OEM pricing.

I see a lot of ebay ads like the one below and was wondering if anyone has any feedback with any oem spoilers they have used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-2006-20...ty!91377!US!-1
Old 06-05-19, 09:36 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I recall quite a few years ago someone on here bought one from eBay and wrote a positive review on it. Cant recall the user name but it was on a MRM ISF. Looked good from his detailed photos too!
Old 06-06-19, 07:12 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Just be aware if you get an OEM replica style one off of eBay all of them (or at least the vast majority) don't use the OEM mounting holes/posts and are 100% attached via double sided tape only. If that doesn't bother you then great but it just made me a bit uneasy and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of leaving the holes open or trying to plug them with something.
Old 06-06-19, 09:23 AM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by WillAP1
Just be aware if you get an OEM replica style one off of eBay all of them (or at least the vast majority) don't use the OEM mounting holes/posts and are 100% attached via double sided tape only. If that doesn't bother you then great but it just made me a bit uneasy and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of leaving the holes open or trying to plug them with something.
That's what I was worried about. It seemed like all the ebay ones (OEM replicas) are only double sided tape....
Old 06-06-19, 03:58 PM
Lundy11
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

OP I have an OEM CF spoiler I'm taking off in a few weeks when my new one arrives . Stands out too much on a white car IMO. There are a few chips in it but I'll probably be listing it once I get it swapped out
Old 06-06-19, 03:58 PM
Eckotyper
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn’t post pictures of your damage, but if it is carbon, you could think about removing it...wetsanding through all the road grime and soap scum, elements that’s left on it and such... and then get it hit with a automotive clear to give it a look closer to its better years. I’ve did this plenty times with carbon that the gel coat ages.
Old 06-06-19, 10:58 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Eckotyper
You didn’t post pictures of your damage, but if it is carbon, you could think about removing it...wetsanding through all the road grime and soap scum, elements that’s left on it and such... and then get it hit with a automotive clear to give it a look closer to its better years. I’ve did this plenty times with carbon that the gel coat ages.
Its not carbon fiber. I’ll take pics tomorrow
Old 06-07-19, 01:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
My OEM spoiler is riddled with so much water damage due to rains that trying to buff it out made it worse. It looks really faded with a ton of scratches. Wondering what would be a good OEM replacement without having to pay OEM pricing.

I see a lot of ebay ads like the one below and was wondering if anyone has any feedback with any oem spoilers they have used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-2006-20...ty!91377!US!-1
Rain doesn't damage paint. Minerals in the water do. When I lived in Sacramento, I had to completely wipe down the car when washing to prevent water spots. Now that I live in Georgia, I just hit it with a leaf blower and I'm good. Zero water spots here because the water doesn't contain the California lime.

Good luck with your search. Might want to check the junkyards too if you want OEM fitment at a lowish price.
Old 06-07-19, 02:29 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Rain doesn't damage paint. Minerals in the water do. When I lived in Sacramento, I had to completely wipe down the car when washing to prevent water spots. Now that I live in Georgia, I just hit it with a leaf blower and I'm good. Zero water spots here because the water doesn't contain the California lime.

Good luck with your search. Might want to check the junkyards too if you want OEM fitment at a lowish price.
Yes! The California lime! I've lived here so long i had forgotten how it was to live on another state and not have to deal with it. Not to mention whatever the birds are eating here burn through my paint really fast too...LOL
Old 06-11-19, 06:30 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought an ebay item. Like others have said, it's a wrap that is held on by double sided tape. The craftsmanship of the carbon fiber and clear coat is better than expected, as is fitment. If allowed here, I can post a link to the exact ebay seller I bought from. If not, I can PM OP.

This is what it looks like on my car:
Attachment 489181

OEM style spoiler painted or carbon fiber-lbhnjxuh.jpg
Old 06-11-19, 11:39 AM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by MpKSonic
I bought an ebay item. Like others have said, it's a wrap that is held on by double sided tape. The craftsmanship of the carbon fiber and clear coat is better than expected, as is fitment. If allowed here, I can post a link to the exact ebay seller I bought from. If not, I can PM OP.

PM me please
The following users liked this post:
1USBISF (10-08-19)
Old 06-11-19, 11:39 AM
davidcausa
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MpKSonic

was thinking of picking one up, what did you plug the old holes with?
Old 06-12-19, 07:07 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidcausa
was thinking of picking one up, what did you plug the old holes with?
3M tape on both sides. The tapes are touching where the OEM holes are. I cleaned the entire trunk very thoroughly with denatured alcohol and microfiber cloths to make sure everything sticks for a long time.
Old 10-07-19, 04:19 PM
JWarr00
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is more or less the same lip spoiler I attempted to install yesterday, and had to fight it back off today. Did the long slow persnickety cleaning process, test fit, align, adjust, etc, etc. Problem was ~50% of the leading edge never grabbed the trunk, and by today I could see gap all over the place. Came here searching for alignment/placement pictures (so far these are the only ones that were easy to find), and the setup looks close to identical to what I had. Approximately flush above the large center emblem, and as you move to the edge, the spoiler tapers in slightly just the same.

Mostly posting out of frustration, bought a new roll of the good 3M tape for the next go-round. Fortunately I see that the one major thing you did different was remove the OEM pin-plugs and cover with 3M tape, I left the pins in place. The other thing I did differently was fabricate in very thin aluminum shims with a reverse threaded expander female bolt where the open holes are at the end (broke lots of test pieces of ABS to get this to work) with the intention of using washers and bolts for a little insurance over 'just tape'. Thinking that between the OEM pin-plugs and the added depth of a rubber washer and the thin plate modified the underside just enough to throw the entire fitment out the window.

Was almost a total disaster when one of the bolts fell into the trunk lid, fortunately the access hole for tightening said bolt is the lowest point of the interior panel, and when I angrily shut the lid, it rolled itself out into the trunk.

Will see if I can add pictures to show the modification, even though at this point, considering how much fight the tape gave me where it was adhered, I am 100% confident in 'just tape' (so long as there is contact all the way around with no obvious gaps).