IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I want more power, but I don't want more noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 09:21 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

JOEZ IS NOT loud , when it break in iz fairly deeply but not loud and nice tone. i have it for 7 yrs , Joez himself has it for 10 yrs lolz. most socal ISF OG owners has it , u got to listen to it in person . From new, to fairly used and used used
The following users liked this post:
YeShrug (04-10-19)
Old 04-10-19, 01:24 PM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

More performance by improving restrictive components, yet muffling the free flowing sound ? Sounds like Nitrous, weight reduction, and/or a drop in air filter are your only options.

FWIW, my Joe Z (V2 w/ quad tips) sounds near stock after the cold start dies down and is blissful when you get on the throttle (as it should be).
Old 04-10-19, 03:35 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by YeShrug
More performance by improving restrictive components, yet muffling the free flowing sound ? Sounds like Nitrous, weight reduction, and/or a drop in air filter are your only options.

FWIW, my Joe Z (V2 w/ quad tips) sounds near stock after the cold start dies down and is blissful when you get on the throttle (as it should be).
Already have the HPS intake with the aFE drop in air filter. Not going forced induction with this platform, as the compression is 11.7:1 and I really don't want to put Nitrous on an engine that wasn't specifically built for it.

I suppose I need to see/hear more modded ISF's before I can make my decision.
Old 04-10-19, 03:38 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
If you want to listen to your opinion, then do so lol, but you asked for ours. Sorry to be rude, but I saw a nicer difference from the $700 tune than the $1200 exhaust. The tune is also self learning according to RR so no matter what mods you add after, it will adjust. As far as I know there’s very limited dyno tuning available that has been proven, so RR is basically the best choice you have.

For what what it’s worth, my catback and tune ISF has ran against 2 Headers/catback/tune ISF several times and I’ve only ever been 1 car behind from 30-100 or so. My lighter wheels could have helped as well. The headers sound glorious but just isn’t worth the $3k cost and emissions failure to me.
No problem, you were not being rude, no offense taken.

Looks like the RR Racing ECU package can be dyno tuned after all:

"Can you work with me or my tuner to improve my tune?
In most cases yes. If you plan on taking your car to the dyno, please contact us ahead of time in order to discuss the type of datalog data we need in order to fine tune your ECU, should it be required. In most cases, custom tune fees will range from $200-$300. "

Last edited by 2URGSE; 04-10-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 05:49 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
If you want to listen to your opinion, then do so lol, but you asked for ours. Sorry to be rude, but I saw a nicer difference from the $700 tune than the $1200 exhaust. The tune is also self learning according to RR so no matter what mods you add after, it will adjust. As far as I know there’s very limited dyno tuning available that has been proven, so RR is basically the best choice you have.

For what what it’s worth, my catback and tune ISF has ran against 2 Headers/catback/tune ISF several times and I’ve only ever been 1 car behind from 30-100 or so. My lighter wheels could have helped as well. The headers sound glorious but just isn’t worth the $3k cost and emissions failure to me.
Seems like you liked it.

I've been interested in the tune...but $800 seemed a bit expensive for 12-15HP.
Old 04-10-19, 06:56 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

You have the wrong car then. Get yourself a Tesla and you will have all the instant torque you want with no added noise what so ever.
Old 04-10-19, 08:33 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your options - get all upgrades - stick with Stock exhaust or a dual switching exhaust. The joez and other exhausts will be too loud for you.
Old 04-11-19, 12:29 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

He hears my car on a monthly basis (JoeZ, Sikky V2 headers) and thinks it's too loud. I make it loud when I want (sport mode and manual mode) but driving in auto and sport mode off (which I rarely do around him), it's QUITE! Very deep sounding, but not loud. He has heard xforce from one of our local Family and Hayward and Scott from a local F'er. A lil over a year ago he hear borla and thought it was stock....so I'm telling him that's the route to go....but he's stuck on the borla sound on the RCF he heard a few days ago, which is way louder than on the IS-F.
But more power will come with more noise.
Anyhow, he has a TON of options....gotta start listening!!

V.
DaveGS4 (04-18-19)
Old 04-11-19, 06:10 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
Seems like you liked it.

I've been interested in the tune...but $800 seemed a bit expensive for 12-15HP.
It's all relative I guess. I spent about $2k on my wheels to shave a few pounds and look better, others spend $4k on their wheels to shave a few more pounds than I did and for aesthetics. I was on the fence about the tune for a while and was ready to sell it if unhappy, but alas I am happy. Also that 12-15 hp is more a jump in mid range torque, something you feel every day, not just a higher HP at redline for sheet comparing.
Old 04-11-19, 07:49 AM
tred
Driver School Candidate

I completely understand where the OP is coming from.

I loved my noisy cars in the past, high school, college and throughout my 20’s I drove cars with a loud exhaust. As you get older and get into a more professional role it becomes less appealing day to day. My drive is 45 miles round trip to work; I park in a parking garage with others and have clients ride with me on a monthly basis. A loud exhaust or one that drones just isn’t realistic these days (nor do I really want it)

I have a weekend car that is set up a bit different, but day to day a loud car sucks. I just ordered the RR racing I/H/tune and I plan on keeping the stock exhaust in place. Thanks for sharing the dyno info everyone.
Apone (04-11-19)
Old 04-11-19, 05:51 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tred
I completely understand where the OP is coming from.

I loved my noisy cars in the past, high school, college and throughout my 20’s I drove cars with a loud exhaust. As you get older and get into a more professional role it becomes less appealing day to day. My drive is 45 miles round trip to work; I park in a parking garage with others and have clients ride with me on a monthly basis. A loud exhaust or one that drones just isn’t realistic these days (nor do I really want it)

I have a weekend car that is set up a bit different, but day to day a loud car sucks. I just ordered the RR racing I/H/tune and I plan on keeping the stock exhaust in place. Thanks for sharing the dyno info everyone.
I'd be curious how that dyno's out. I too had a 3 inch exhaust turbo vehicle, and it just wore you down so much after a while.
Old 04-11-19, 07:38 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
You have the wrong car then. Get yourself a Tesla and you will have all the instant torque you want with no added noise what so ever.
Will just pretend you didn't say that.
Old 04-11-19, 07:43 PM
2URGSE
Racer

RR Racing uses Techstream or Fusion App for data logging.

I called National Speedway Inc. in Wilmington, NC. They do not use the above to tune, but was cool to hear they already worked on an ISF before installing headers.

There may be more companies coming out with a tuning solution, just may take more time. All in all, I'm not in a rush, I'd rather wait and plan out this project.
Old 04-11-19, 08:13 PM
NoFsport
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
So I've been thinking about the PPE equal length headers and exhaust, but the dual mode exhaust is pretty pricey.

I'm not really interested in more exhaust noise, I like the stock levels.

Given the stock headers are the biggest bottleneck, I was thinking headers, a quality mid pipe with 2 Gesi cats and leave the rest as it is.

Any input appreciated.

I did go for a ride in an RCF with Borla catback and it was too loud for my taste. I was told the Borla is quieter on the ISF but I'm not convinced I really want that.
why would you want headers if you’re gonna restrict them with stock or low flow cats?? If it’s power you want once in a while just spray.
Old 04-12-19, 08:09 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NoFsport
why would you want headers if you’re gonna restrict them with stock or low flow cats?? If it’s power you want once in a while just spray.
People want different things. I know there's a lot of guys/gals here that will sacrifice anything for power. I was one of them. I took a normal family sedan and doubled the output and one of the mods was a 3 inch exhaust. It was ear splitting loud. So much so that it was kinda embarrassing, and exhausting to drive. Some of us don't want to be the center of attention always, and the ISF excels in that. It is a joy to drive for many simply because it's understated lexus quietness, but it hides a beast of a motor.

The stock exhaust manifold isn't a great design, and there is power to be made there. But some of us don't want that constant exhaust noise. I think the PPE dual mode would work well, or like I said earlier a e-cutout dump would give you the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: I want more power, but I don't want more noise