IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I want more power, but I don't want more noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 04:24 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I want more power, but I don't want more noise

So I've been thinking about the PPE equal length headers and exhaust, but the dual mode exhaust is pretty pricey.

I'm not really interested in more exhaust noise, I like the stock levels.

Given the stock headers are the biggest bottleneck, I was thinking headers, a quality mid pipe with 2 Gesi cats and leave the rest as it is.

Any input appreciated.

I did go for a ride in an RCF with Borla catback and it was too loud for my taste. I was told the Borla is quieter on the ISF but I'm not convinced I really want that.
Old 04-09-19, 04:26 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

power cost money headers give u the most gain
Old 04-09-19, 04:28 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by ISF4life
power cost money headers give u the most gain
I am fine with those, I just want to know what route I should go after the headers since I don't want added exhaust sound beyond what the factory provides.
Old 04-09-19, 04:34 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

with out adding Joez exhaust, then your best bet would be stripping the car to the lightest possible lolz weight to power ratior lolz. But who would want to driving in something like that
Old 04-09-19, 08:29 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by ISF4life
with out adding Joez exhaust, then your best bet would be stripping the car to the lightest possible lolz weight to power ratior lolz. But who would want to driving in something like that
Joe Z is loud, I don't want loud.

Next response please.
Old 04-09-19, 08:45 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Joe Z is loud, I don't want loud.

Next response please.
A guy named "caymandive" mounted headers to an otherwise stock exhaust and saw some good gains.

Maybe reach out to him.
Old 04-09-19, 10:47 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm considering going with headers and then maybe having dual e-cutouts just past the headers maybe pre cat or just after. Flip a switch and you have an open exhaust, with the noise, flip a switch and it's back to stockish.
Old 04-10-19, 04:21 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Your best bet is headers and stock exhaust, or a custom exhaust with really quiet mufflers. Unfortunately, the major power gains on this car are headers / exhaust. I’d recommend headers and an RR racing tune.
Old 04-10-19, 05:37 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

My X Force Varex is as quiet as stock when closed. It's also pretty restrictive when closed too. Needs to be in open position to get most performance.
Old 04-10-19, 05:42 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Also - I think Sikky build shows about a 40whp increase with headers and stock exhaust..

Old 04-10-19, 06:58 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Wasn't the HKS exhaust known to be more quieter than stock?
Old 04-10-19, 07:16 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

The Borla for the ISF is silent compared to the Borla for the RCF. I ran mine for a year and it was never loud enough for me but did give a nice burble though with minor drone around town. I do believe the Borla cat back is also quieter than the JoeZ. In your position I would do a tune first, then headers if that’s not enough power. (I noticed a bigger difference with the tune than with the catback). At that point it’s probably the most amount of power with the quietest set up. From there you can look at replacing the axle back portion with better mufflers and bigger piping or deleting the secondary cats, all things a catback would accomplish.

i am on stock headers.
Old 04-10-19, 08:24 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
The Borla for the ISF is silent compared to the Borla for the RCF. I ran mine for a year and it was never loud enough for me but did give a nice burble though with minor drone around town. I do believe the Borla cat back is also quieter than the JoeZ. In your position I would do a tune first, then headers if that’s not enough power. (I noticed a bigger difference with the tune than with the catback). At that point it’s probably the most amount of power with the quietest set up. From there you can look at replacing the axle back portion with better mufflers and bigger piping or deleting the secondary cats, all things a catback would accomplish.

i am on stock headers.
I would do a tune on a factory turbo car first, but not on an NA V8 car, that's a waste of money in my opinion. The gains are small compared to the money spent.

I also don't like off the shelf maps, only custom dyno tuning. (all from previous experience)
Old 04-10-19, 08:58 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I was in the same position as you, I didn’t want more noise but there was no way around it to fully optimize the opportunities there are for bolt ons.

I started with just the PPE headers and stock exhaust, while the gains were there, the bottle neck is the stock exhaust. I then got a Borla cat-back with Magnaflow cats welded in. Performance is awesome but it’s too loud to me.

Looking back, I should have gotten the PPE dual mode, since I want it quiet 75% of the time I drive. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-10-19, 09:01 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I would do a tune on a factory turbo car first, but not on an NA V8 car, that's a waste of money in my opinion. The gains are small compared to the money spent.

I also don't like off the shelf maps, only custom dyno tuning. (all from previous experience)
If you want to listen to your opinion, then do so lol, but you asked for ours. Sorry to be rude, but I saw a nicer difference from the $700 tune than the $1200 exhaust. The tune is also self learning according to RR so no matter what mods you add after, it will adjust. As far as I know there’s very limited dyno tuning available that has been proven, so RR is basically the best choice you have.

For what what it’s worth, my catback and tune ISF has ran against 2 Headers/catback/tune ISF several times and I’ve only ever been 1 car behind from 30-100 or so. My lighter wheels could have helped as well. The headers sound glorious but just isn’t worth the $3k cost and emissions failure to me.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 04-10-19 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: I want more power, but I don't want more noise