IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Regrets on selling the ISF

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 09:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Regret selling my IS F? Not going to happen. Bought new, kept it 10+ years, and have no plan to sell it at all.
Me too

Lou
The following users liked this post:
cvt (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 09:29 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Had both the isf and rcf. Sold the isf and went to a rcf. No regrets at all. The design, interior, and performance is a plus on the rcf
Old 01-24-19, 11:23 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by BirgeyT1
I had my first one for a year and it was my daily. Ended up with a super long commute and sold it for something with better gas mileage and instantly regretted it and missed the car a ton. Fast forward a little over a year, got a daily driver, sold the other car that had replaced the ISF, and then bought another ISF that I can just use as a weekend car. Not selling it ever!
What was the car you replaced it with initially?
Old 01-24-19, 11:24 AM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by Spam89
Had both the isf and rcf. Sold the isf and went to a rcf. No regrets at all. The design, interior, and performance is a plus on the rcf
Was there anything about the ISF you didn't like or were you just wanting to upgrade?
Old 01-24-19, 11:51 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello cvt,
I've had two ISFs. One was an '09 CPO that I bought in 2010 and traded it in for a new '12. Both were Starfire Pearl White. I had a couple of issues with the '09 but no issues with the '12. I traded in the '12 for a new '13 C63 AMG (with performance pack) sedan which I sold in April of 2018 about 8 days shy of 4 years of ownership. Like the '12 ISF I also had zero problems with it. I then purchased a 2018 E63S wagon Edition 1 which is one of only three in the U.S. Now the '13 C63 was a "unicorn" as I actually bought it in '14 but it was new with only 43 miles on it. That's how I came to own it for just under 4 years.
I feel very fortunate to have been able to experience the ISF and the W204 C63 as they were really fun to drive and also quite practical too. Never modded the ISF cars as everything offered was not street legal. I almost pulled the trigger on a Weistech supercharger (CARB approved) for the C63 but realized that getting all of that power to the rear wheels would be a challenge as it already easily spun the 265 PSS tires. The E63S is all wheel drive so, like the GTR, it puts the power down with minimal wheel slip and no rear end drama. It's amazing that something this heavy (4669 lbs) can move and handle like it does. As much as I like the ISF I do not regret selling either of them as I also don't regret selling the C63 or any other cars/trucks that I've owned. Sometimes, it's just time to move on as there are so many great cars and trucks out there to experience.
cvt (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 12:19 PM
Eckotyper
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As of now I have no regrets on selling the ISF. I had a 11 starfire pearl, I bought it with about 65K on it, and just traded it in this part Monday with just under 115K. While I loved the way the car drove, reliability and such, 115K is scary. plus the car depreciated over 50% of what I bought it for in just 3.5 years. I still had some equity in the car loan compared to pay off, so I decided to get out while I could still recoup some funds.
cvt (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 01:10 PM
BirgeyT1
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
What was the car you replaced it with initially?
I replaced it with a 2016 CPO Acura ILX A spec
Old 01-24-19, 01:13 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by BirgeyT1
I replaced it with a 2016 CPO Acura ILX A spec
That's what my wife drives! it's not a bad car...a good set of stickier tires would make it more fun but...yeah, I get it.

How long did it take before regret started setting in?
Old 01-24-19, 02:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I miss my ISF rarely but no way I'd go back. I beat the American Muscle Cup Champion at Auto Club in an Advanced Drivers Time Trial....... on oem stock tires. It's hard to miss the ISF when I can eat cars for lunch that I used to worship. The grid photos speak for themselves

The ISF is an amazing sports sedan but after 9 track days and 21000 miles in a ZL1 it was far less reliable than my 2018 ZL1. Valley plate leak, intake box knock, tranny flares, etc ..... ZL1 just eats 4 tires at every oil change and asks for as much abuse as possible.

The organic design of the ISF makes it so beautiful and I will admit that the exhaust note is sweet. The ZL1 is loud as F. So loud in fact that I have been booted from AMP and have to wait for a 105db day at Laguna Seca. (Stock).

Meanwhile the Lexus page I started on Facebook is over 18,000 people !! Still representing but I know where the track performance is.

Hope you guys are all doing well. Much love from the Track Junky.
Attached Thumbnails Regrets on selling the ISF-photo792.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo405.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo546.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo578.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo679.jpg  

Regrets on selling the ISF-photo615.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo257.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo858.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo18.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo77.jpg  

Regrets on selling the ISF-photo527.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo199.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo978.jpg   Regrets on selling the ISF-photo406.jpg  
cvt (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 03:45 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt

Holy cow....talk about boomerang effect! So what made you sell and come back multiple times? What made you sick of it and what made you miss it?
Worked at a lexus dealer and fell in love with the F but I was young and had no money so I bought a “rebuilt title” one. Had the opportunity to get a GTR lease short term and jumped on it. Once that was over, I missed the soul of the ISF and couldn’t stop looking at this site so I found another one. Sold it due to lack of driving it, traveling for work, etc. missed it too much and regretted it so got my 3rd one recently. Hoping I don’t make that mistake again. It is my weekend car now and I look forward to driving it
cvt (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 03:51 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I miss my ISF rarely but no way I'd go back. I beat the American Muscle Cup Champion at Auto Club in an Advanced Drivers Time Trial....... on oem stock tires. It's hard to miss the ISF when I can eat cars for lunch that I used to worship. The grid photos speak for themselves

The ISF is an amazing sports sedan but after 9 track days and 21000 miles in a ZL1 it was far less reliable than my 2018 ZL1. Valley plate leak, intake box knock, tranny flares, etc ..... ZL1 just eats 4 tires at every oil change and asks for as much abuse as possible.

The organic design of the ISF makes it so beautiful and I will admit that the exhaust note is sweet. The ZL1 is loud as F. So loud in fact that I have been booted from AMP and have to wait for a 105db day at Laguna Seca. (Stock).

Meanwhile the Lexus page I started on Facebook is over 18,000 people !! Still representing but I know where the track performance is.

Hope you guys are all doing well. Much love from the Track Junky.
It looks like you did 25 track days on the ISF. Do you think the ZL1 will hold that long (any owner's report that kind of abuse)? No problems with the ZL1? In the rare times that you miss it, what do you miss about it?
Old 01-24-19, 04:42 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Why do I feel like barfing?...
The following 2 users liked this post by mahcah:
LexusNN (01-24-19), ZDCATC (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 05:00 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by mahcah
Why do I feel like barfing?...
I don't understand...why?
Old 01-24-19, 07:49 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Regret selling my IS F? Not going to happen. Bought new, kept it 10+ years, and have no plan to sell it at all. I pondered what I would buy if I totaled it as a thought exercise, and couldn't come up with anything I really would appreciate the way I do my IS F. If anything, I'd probably buy another GS F because it does the daily driver well and with some effort, might feel close to what my IS F delivers. But SELL my IS F? Not likely any time soon. Supra will get sold before the IS F does.
Originally Posted by flowrider
Me too

Lou
Same here Lou and Lance order my new at time 2011 USB in August of 2010 it arrived in November of 2010. I Daily drove my ISF until August of 2017 then car went into semi retirement lol, I no longer Daily drive any car at this point but thats another story. It has 94k miles after 8 plus yrs, FB0 on for 7yrs, tuned, Coilovers with other suspension goodies. It was tracked at Limerock, Monticello, New Jersey Motorsports Park, back in 2011,2012, 2013 1/4 mile English Town and Atco, Auto crossed, navigate potholes of NYC, driven thru Snow storms, 100 degree humid summer days, bumper to bumper traffic, back roads of upstate New York, with no major problems other than normal parts that just wear out over time normal maintenance stuff. Not many cars that can do all of that without some major issue down road. I'm 54 and owed all sorts of cars muscle cars,euro cars, JDM, etc. Are there faster cars now yes, there will always be something faster, shinier, newer but more me my ISF holds special place the first True F car from Lexus. So I'm keeping my ISF. I've kept my F in show room condition full paint correction all year around. Paint and interior immaculate condition. Just few pics over last 8yrs.

Old 01-24-19, 07:56 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Quick Reply: Regrets on selling the ISF