IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

actual performance gains from xforce exhaust and rr racing tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 02:59 PM
BirgeyT1
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mike33
I am considering gutting the primaries, but I'm hesitant because of not being able to return to stock if I do not like it for some reason... What is the noise level like with the gutted cats? Currently mine
sounds as quiet as stock when the varex valve is closed... If I do decide to gut them I will definitely test and post the results.
It's pretty much just as loud as aftermarket headers.
Old 01-24-19, 03:03 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I ran the Xforce with primary cats in place for a few months before gutting. I did not note any significant change in exhaust note at all...with valves closed it is still as quiet as stock (maybe quieter!). I felt a modest bump in power - nothing out of this world.

With valves closed, the exhaust note sounds like stock while cruising in mid/low revs, at high RPM hoever, it sounds like a large airleak to me. I never drive hard with valves closed..
Old 01-24-19, 03:10 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
ETs aren't the big indicators of change unless your goal is drag racing. MPH through the traps tells all for hp gain and isn't as driver dependent as ET is. It would be interesting to normalize the data for the DA and see how much was conditions and how much was actual power increase.
Agreed, mph is going to show if there are hp gains. I've added the DA corrected times to my crude chart, and there is a definite mph increase when the Xforce exhaust (valve open) was added, and again when the RR tune was added. I'm pretty confident the numbers show there are hp gains with the exhaust and tune, with the exhaust giving the greatest gain.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (01-26-19)
Old 01-24-19, 03:21 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I ran the Xforce with primary cats in place for a few months before gutting. I did not note any significant change in exhaust note at all...with valves closed it is still as quiet as stock (maybe quieter!). I felt a modest bump in power - nothing out of this world.

With valves closed, the exhaust note sounds like stock while cruising in mid/low revs, at high RPM hoever, it sounds like a large airleak to me. I never drive hard with valves closed..
Thats good to hear that it can be as quiet with the valve closed, this makes it very tempting to do... I also find the muffled sound under full throttle a little annoying, but I'm glad I went with the varex for the stock noise level when I want it.
The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (12-26-19)