IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Some fun with TT4C @ Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 07:22 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Some fun with TT4C @ Thunderbolt

Went to the track this past Monday with TT4C (Track Time 4 Cars) @ NJMP Thunderbolt.

Setup:
* 265 R888 Square Setup Proxies
* RR USRS, RR Tune, RR Exhaust
* Figs UCR's -2.35*
* RR Racing Penske Racing Suspension (16/14 - Tuned by Penske)
* Brakes were MU-800 w/ Stock Rotors / Fresh Motul 600

Opinion:
* I've gone to Thunderbolt with 500WHP STI and 420WHP Evo 9, I did not time myself before either, however, I think both STI and Evo handled a lot better on Thunderbolt than the ISF. Thunderbolt seem to complement lower HP and lighter car, it's hard to put down all the power with ISF as well as turns are sharper and come up quicker, shifting ISF's weight is not easy either, I need to eliminate the body roll and shed some weight. I still had a blast and was able to put down 1:38.56 best time and ran some consistent laps. I was dialing in my tire pressure for all 5 sessions, I wasn't gunning it as I do it on Lightning, but I tried to hold my lines and improve time from lap to lap. This is the first time I ran my F with FIGS UCR set at -2.35* Camber and having a worry free from camber-slipping session. Enjoy the vids, best spent $265

There's lots of passing, I'm not saying I'm fast, There are faster cars and as always, nobody's trying and is driving casually, this isn't a race but a Track Day.

Last edited by bbong; 05-14-17 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eedo123 (05-17-17)
Old 05-15-17, 11:55 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's your camera/display setup ?
Old 05-15-17, 01:35 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good driving man! Looks/sounds like the car is set-up pretty well. I understand what you mean when you say some tracks are difficult for the F. Out in Atlanta we have AMP, it's a tight lower speed track and the F just rolls and it's hard to put down the power. It was the first track I took the F too and I felt a little disappointed compared to my G35 and S14. BUT then I ran Road Atlanta which is fast, the track is wider, there are less narrow turns, elevation is more gradual (in most places) and I was in amazement of how well the F did. I do liek working with a heavier car with power. Contrary to popular belief , it teaches you skills on weight management and being smooth that sometimes, a lighter car hides. When I jump back in my S14 after driving the F, i'm like "wow, this is so easy!".
Old 05-17-17, 06:28 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Max16
What's your camera/display setup ?
Sorry for the late reply
1. Camera is GoPro Hero 4 Silver
2. Mount:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XIB6SK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XIB6SK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. OBD2 Bluetooth Device for logging telemetric (engine speed, temps etc)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U0YNMS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U0YNMS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Android Holder suction cup
5. Harry's Laptimer for Android (This links with OBD2 Bluetooth device and with GoPro Hero and turns all on automatically when you cross the start line), provides logs, G forces, GPS location and times
6. Final editing is done with RaceRender for PC

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Good driving man! Looks/sounds like the car is set-up pretty well. I understand what you mean when you say some tracks are difficult for the F. Out in Atlanta we have AMP, it's a tight lower speed track and the F just rolls and it's hard to put down the power. It was the first track I took the F too and I felt a little disappointed compared to my G35 and S14. BUT then I ran Road Atlanta which is fast, the track is wider, there are less narrow turns, elevation is more gradual (in most places) and I was in amazement of how well the F did. I do liek working with a heavier car with power. Contrary to popular belief , it teaches you skills on weight management and being smooth that sometimes, a lighter car hides. When I jump back in my S14 after driving the F, i'm like "wow, this is so easy!".
Thanks, appreciate it. I think car is setup nicely, but I haven't been to such tight course with F yet and it shows. When I run fast courses the F really shines, with the Thunderbolt it required some work, but I agree with you, you get to know your car a lot better at such courses, at one point I was able to take the whole corkscrew sideways, which I have not done before.
Old 05-18-17, 06:39 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I was shopping for a video setup.
I already have the gopro so I'll look into the Kiwi and the laptimer.