IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR Racing tune worth it without headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 08:26 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I ordered the intake + tune (and AOS option) because of the discount!

With the tune being seemingly reliable, I think it will only make the car feel better (not necessarily faster, but smoother is faster in my opinion).

Quick question: will the tune adjust itself along with the KCLV number being auto-corrected once I put headers on?
Old 11-30-18, 11:26 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah - its same tune with or without headers. Only time a change is required is if you go with their intake...

I ran tune with only a a catless after market exhaust (stock manifolds intact with cats) - I felt a noticeable bump in power and responsiveness in the butt dyno. I then gutted stock manifolds at a later date and also felt an increase - but significantly less than when I first got tune.

I think you will be happy with tune with or without headers!

Last edited by Vervish; 11-30-18 at 11:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vervish:
LexusfanVA (11-30-18), mk416 (12-03-18)
Old 11-30-18, 12:10 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
I ordered the intake + tune (and AOS option) because of the discount!

With the tune being seemingly reliable, I think it will only make the car feel better (not necessarily faster, but smoother is faster in my opinion).

Quick question: will the tune adjust itself along with the KCLV number being auto-corrected once I put headers on?
Per my conversation with Simon, the tune is self learning and will not need a retune if I decide to go with headers in the future. Nice to know!
The following users liked this post:
rjfjdudj (04-05-20)
Old 11-30-18, 12:13 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vervish
yeah - its same tune with or without headers. Only time a change is required is if you go with their intake...

I ran tune with only a a catless after market exhaust (stock manifolds intact with cats) - I felt a noticeable bump in power and responsiveness in the butt dyno. I then gutted stock manifolds at a later date and also felt an increase - but significantly less than when I first got tune.

I think you will be happy with tune with or without headers!
Thanks very much for the input! I am super excited, really hoping to throw it on the dyno after the tune to see if I can get 390whp or so. At any rate, even a nice torque bump in the midrange would be welcomed. I gapped a Scat Pack this week 3x in the same morning, both of us were surprised, but now I want more surprises 😈
Old 11-30-18, 01:13 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I got the AOS, intake, tune, and also had the xforce exhaust the last time I dynoed. Best I could make was 375rwhp and 350tq. I think 390rwhp is a bit much.

I've since got headers but have not had a chance to redyno.
Old 11-30-18, 01:19 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patton6964
I got the AOS, intake, tune, and also had the xforce exhaust the last time I dynoed. Best I could make was 375rwhp and 350tq. I think 390rwhp is a bit much.

I've since got headers but have not had a chance to redyno.
mustang or dynojet? I saw on dynojet with just catback people were getting 370-375whp..no?
Old 11-30-18, 01:33 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

It was a dynojet
Old 12-02-18, 11:10 PM
Jondls33
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Please update on the gains since I’m on the same boat.. I would like I get the tune as well and I don’t plan on getting headers. I just don’t know if it’s even worth it w/o headers.
Old 12-02-18, 11:21 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jondls33
Please update on the gains since I’m on the same boat.. I would like I get the tune as well and I don’t plan on getting headers. I just don’t know if it’s even worth it w/o headers.
I would rather get headers, keep your mpg's and get proven gains
Old 12-03-18, 03:59 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackisF08

I would rather get headers, keep your mpg's and get proven gains
From the few members I’ve read about who have headers with cats, the gains are there but not nearly as much as without cats. I’ve been sent a few dyno sheets by people with no headers and the gains seem to be there, and torque improved everywhere too. Hoping once I’m tuned to make it up to RR to get a proper dyno run.
Old 12-03-18, 08:12 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Per my conversation with Simon, the tune is self learning and will not need a retune if I decide to go with headers in the future. Nice to know!
Thanks for checking!
Old 12-03-18, 02:37 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I ordered my tune as well using the sale. I’ll be happy to be rid of that silly O2 sensor light.
Old 12-05-18, 12:06 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
I didnt know the tune would be self learning to that extent. Im Sydney AU based so i went with a local tuner.
I had mine tuned with an exhaust setup but later got PPE headers, retuned and made more HP. I would of assumed for something as substantial like headers (airflow, timing) differences etc, a retune would be worthwhile vs a retune for just changing spark plugs etc.
Old 12-05-18, 01:41 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF5L
I didnt know the tune would be self learning to that extent. Im Sydney AU based so i went with a local tuner.
I had mine tuned with an exhaust setup but later got PPE headers, retuned and made more HP. I would of assumed for something as substantial like headers (airflow, timing) differences etc, a retune would be worthwhile vs a retune for just changing spark plugs etc.

the cars ecu it is self learning regarding of tune or not, car just gets adjust it to the tune after usage. off the shelve tune is good for just plug and play but when people really wanna maximize a custom tune would be better. not everyone has the same exact mods and not everyone leaves at the same altitudes
Old 12-06-18, 10:30 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

First impressions! RR Racing shipped very quickly, original ETA was Tuesday evening but I got it Monday morning. I found out that Windows software was needed for the tuner, not a huge deal, and was honestly the hardest part about the whole install lol. The only Windows device I have is an old computer running 10 so I spent more time disabling the firewall and updating the computer so that the tuner could be updated. Reading the ECU took 3 min, sent the file and had a fresh tune file sent back that same evening! Writing took maybe 5-10 minutes total.

The paperwork says that ECU resets to 15 KCLV and may need some pulls or 1+ hour driving, but immediately I felt a difference. November-March I run my stock 08 wheels with Continental DWS06 tires and not to be cliche, but right off the bat I could feel more loss of traction in 1st and 2nd. Redline was increased to 7200, though he said some people keep it the same or go to 7400. I don't hit redline too often but can confirm that it went higher into the red. Overall seems to pull a bit better/easier. Also, in traffic going 20-40 I feel less drone/back pressure building up, not sure how exactly that works but the benefit is it lets the car coast to a stop with less noise/drone. Very noticeable since I spend up to 45 minutes just chugging along in traffic. Pops are still there if I want with engine braking/shifting combos. MPG I haven't compared in depth, but my commute this morning testing just the highway seemed to be about the same, maybe even higher by a mpg and that's just using the trip computer. A lot of traffic and different routes I take so once I refill the tank a few times I'll know more. At the very least it has not gone down.

I was hoping to get a dyno run in before the tune, but looking more like a spring time with tune dyno instead. Once I am on summers again will have to hit the strip and see if I can knock down my 12.7 to 12.5 or better, my reaction time and grip could have improved in the past for sure. TLDR first impressions are positive with zero negatives, will give another update in a few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
21ce (12-08-18)

Quick Reply: RR Racing tune worth it without headers?