Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 06:25 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My criteria for my next car is:
-Faster than the F? Check.
-More stylish than the F? Check.
-More rare than the rest of the USDM sport coupes? Check.
- In the low 30s range? Check.
-Somewhat reliable? Half check.
-Cheaper to modify than the F? Check.

Also, why is the dodge viper so expensive? Lol

Last edited by ninten5; 09-11-18 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-11-18, 06:26 AM
ninten5
Driver

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

not harsh at all. The new 5.0 Mustang is the best in my opinion. 11s stock. I have had two lsx series chevys. Great engine in garbage cars in my opinion. Vettes impress me zero times I see them. I’m from indiana. Corvettes have always and will always be a mid life crisis car... or an old mans sports car. albeit now they are very expensive.

if I want to build an all out track car that I was going to destroy, it would be a vette. Otherwise I’m biased and don’t like them lol.
Thats like comparing a $35k is250 to a then $55k ISF.
Old 09-11-18, 07:04 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
My criteria for my next car is:

Also, why is the dodge viper so expensive? Lol
-a dime a dozen? Check
-a motor that doesn't sound as good as the F's? Check
-dude magnet? Check
-F a chick magnet? Check
-very little cargo space and only 2 seats? Check

And the viper is much more exclusive compared to the vette. See them much less and the srt10 motor is better than the vettes motor in just about every way possible. And personally, I like the look of the Viper better than the Vette
With all that said, the only Vette I'd ever consider owning (up until this point at least) is the new ZR1....but only at around $100k (don't think it's a $140k+ car as it looks the exact same (minus the front bumper) as a $70k ZO6.....and you can't tell me there's a $70k premium for what little performance you get over the ZO6.

V.
Old 09-11-18, 07:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
-a dime a dozen? Check
-a motor that doesn't sound as good as the F's? Check
-dude magnet? Check
-F a chick magnet? Check
-very little cargo space and only 2 seats? Check

And the viper is much more exclusive compared to the vette. See them much less and the srt10 motor is better than the vettes motor in just about every way possible. And personally, I like the look of the Viper better than the Vette
With all that said, the only Vette I'd ever consider owning (up until this point at least) is the new ZR1....but only at around $100k (don't think it's a $140k+ car as it looks the exact same (minus the front bumper) as a $70k ZO6.....and you can't tell me there's a $70k premium for what little performance you get over the ZO6.

V.
Wow I get this is a Lexus forum but clearly he wants another option and is leaning towards the Vette. Because of the tons of 2IS on the road the F blends in. Have to take a double look to see if it's a IS-F or not. Most people don't even know the difference. Sounds like Vette meets his requirement.
Old 09-11-18, 07:27 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Thats like comparing a $35k is250 to a then $55k ISF.

The vette Is more expensive, right? I’d still take a 2018 mustang. What year vette is the C7? I don’t know the bodies, but I’m guessing it’s the new stingray. How much faster is it than the new 5.0? I doubt it is much. New mustang runs 11.80s with auto transmission. Hardly like comparing a 250 to an iSF.

if you want a vette, then you have plenty available. I just think they are the most over rated car out there. if It’s your style, then enjoy!
Old 09-11-18, 08:02 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Wow I get this is a Lexus forum but clearly he wants another option and is leaning towards the Vette. Because of the tons of 2IS on the road the F blends in. Have to take a double look to see if it's a IS-F or not. Most people don't even know the difference. Sounds like Vette meets his requirement.
He asked for opinions and a thumbs up or thumbs down in the original post.... If his decision was already made, he wouldn't have asked for opinions.
Only thing you get from a stingray over the ISF, Imo, is that it's SLIGHTLY faster than a stock F. A full bolt on F will hang tight with it however....
I say wait til the C8 drops next year and pick up a used Z06 (prices are predicted to plummet on all c7 models when the c8 drops. Partially because they made far too many c7s....more than any other model Corvette ever). The Z06 will be a proper upgrade from an F (performance wise), not a stingray.

V.
Old 09-11-18, 10:29 AM
ninten5
Driver

Name me another sports car that meets my checklist? A *****stang sells as many in a year as they have made C7 vettes in all 5 years now. So no its not a dime of dozen. About the IS-F, only reason I picked one up was for the JDM factor, engine and trans, LITERALLY. Car looks old, inside and out, especially a white one, looks like the IS250 chicks drive. Maybe a USB is worth holding for me. For low 30k, I am looking at a RC-350 maybe F sport, IS350 f sport, maybe the Infiniti Q60 but not a red sport. A C7 will outpace them all. Only JDM car left is the GT-R, which is north of 50k.

Again, I've owned a honda, toyota, nissans, infinitis, an acura, and now a lexus. I dont hate any brands just want to try them all. My avg car owning time is 12-18 months.
Old 09-11-18, 10:45 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Stingrays are boring, cheaply built, and a dime a dozen. It'll also look, and be outdated in another year or 2. Always a new model out every 2 years....and the old ones just look "old" after a few years☹️.

V.
I'd disagree with the boring factor - it is definitely more fun than any of the Lexus current offerings (LFA not available anymore, note).

OP, if you can get a Stingray, by all means get it - that car completely meets your requirements, assuming you can get it used at the desired price.

Otherwise, raise your budget. Sub $30K doesn't give you a lot of options these days new.
Old 09-11-18, 10:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Name me another sports car that meets my checklist? A *****stang sells as many in a year as they have made C7 vettes in all 5 years now. So no its not a dime of dozen. About the IS-F, only reason I picked one up was for the JDM factor, engine and trans, LITERALLY. Car looks old, inside and out, especially a white one, looks like the IS250 chicks drive. Maybe a USB is worth holding for me. For low 30k, I am looking at a RC-350 maybe F sport, IS350 f sport, maybe the Infiniti Q60 but not a red sport. A C7 will outpace them all. Only JDM car left is the GT-R, which is north of 50k.

Again, I've owned a honda, toyota, nissans, infinitis, an acura, and now a lexus. I dont hate any brands just want to try them all. My avg car owning time is 12-18 months.

​​​​​​​From what I've read of your posts, your vehicle seems like nothing more than an appliance to you. But, yet you want others to notice your appliance and give positive comments on it. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as it gets you from point A to point B and others give you a warm feeling about owning it. You tire of them quickly and do not build up a bond with them and that's fine, most folks are just like you.

But, IMHO, most us on this forum are not like that. I've owned owned cars now for 61 years, and the number of different makes just about equals yours. I tend to keep them longer, but none nowhere near as long as I've had my F, going on ten years now. Every car I've owned, except one, in those 61 years has been modified to some extent, to make it mine. I don't really give a darn what other folks say about them. My car its mine, and as long as I like it, that's all that matters.

A Vette and an ISF, really not comparable in any way - except they both have 4 wheels and a V8 engine.

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
GS430FTW (11-12-18), Weapon F (11-10-18)
Old 09-11-18, 11:35 AM
ninten5
Driver

Lou, I do give off that car salesman vibe, dont I? I started buying and selling cars at 17 so I guess I kinda am. Its not so much them noticing me (I would've owned a BMW or Merc) if I truly cared. I'm just bored of the car visually, I do modify my cars a bit (wheels, wider tires, lights, etc) but when I redid my shocks, I felt like I got robbed lol $1400 for all for corners! Performance mods arent cheap either, I can literally drop a few thousand on I/H/E or upgrade to a vette? What would you do in my position?
Old 09-11-18, 11:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,298 Posts

^^^^Can't help you there. Our mindsets are quite different. I would never own a Vette, but believe it or not I also have a Silverado. Go figure The ISF, as my personal car, is the ONLYl car I've ever owned that has four doors, again go figure If I were buying today, I would luv an LC500. But, then again, I've had the fantasy of a RestoMod - a 1970 TransAm

Lou
Old 09-11-18, 11:55 AM
ninten5
Driver

I never thought I'd own an American car either but the vette (C6) was my poster car growing up. Now when I got a ride in a C7, I was like OK the interior quality has become acceptable now. The addiction is real, I'd love to buy a GTR but Ive set a limit for myself in terms of price. Oooh a 70s TransAm, dont think Ive seen one before!
Old 09-11-18, 12:03 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

OP, I'm kind of similar to you and have also been contemplating an upgrade over the past few months. Well, either an upgrade or a full upgrade of coilovers/11+ lights, headers, and a 3rd set of wheels over the winter. I switch cars every year or so, and my ISF is the longest I've owned a car in miles and time(47k/22 months). In no particular order, the C6Z, C7, SRT Charger, Viper GTS, C63, E63, CTSV2, F80 M, 240iM, M6 V8TT, Q50RS, F Type, RCF are all on my list, but I can't say any of them are calling me besides the GTS Viper(dream car since kindergarten, but that is still a year or two away as I just got married and am saving for a home with a garage). However, the jump from a 200-300hp car to a 400HP+ car isn't as big as 440HP to 500+ imo. They're all fast, rare, and a class above the STI's, Evo's, Mustangs, and G37's that everyone and their aunt seems to have nowadays..

For me, the C7 is low on the list for me seeing as how it's pretty much a base model and parked next to a GS, C6Z or C7Z, and any ZR1 it just looks cheap. Everyone knows what a Corvette is, and while the C7 looks good, they are everywhere. Park the ISF next to a GSF, RCF, or even an LFA and it'll still grab attention from people who know. Park a C7 at a show and it's just an off the shelf Vette. The ISF may be a little bit slower, but I think it's more special. Personally I like the F for now. It's cheap to own and drive year round and I think you'd like it more with more mods(exhaust, handling upgrades, visual mods etc). Get the C7 if you like, it's still a good car and the best Corvette ever and makes my past C5 look like a bucket in and out. Forgive my rambling..

TLDR:,I think the C7 isn't special unless GS/Z06/ZR1, even then, I think I'd rather go Viper or German, but a modded F is plenty for now.
Old 09-11-18, 12:16 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

y settle when u have c8 mid engine coming out starting at 155k lolz , u only live once , once is enough
Old 09-11-18, 12:29 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
OP, I'm kind of similar to you and have also been contemplating an upgrade over the past few months. Well, either an upgrade or a full upgrade of coilovers/11+ lights, headers, and a 3rd set of wheels over the winter. I switch cars every year or so, and my ISF is the longest I've owned a car in miles and time(47k/22 months). In no particular order, the C6Z, C7, SRT Charger, Viper GTS, C63, E63, CTSV2, F80 M, 240iM, M6 V8TT, Q50RS, F Type, RCF are all on my list, but I can't say any of them are calling me besides the GTS Viper(dream car since kindergarten, but that is still a year or two away as I just got married and am saving for a home with a garage). However, the jump from a 200-300hp car to a 400HP+ car isn't as big as 440HP to 500+ imo. They're all fast, rare, and a class above the STI's, Evo's, Mustangs, and G37's that everyone and their aunt seems to have nowadays..

For me, the C7 is low on the list for me seeing as how it's pretty much a base model and parked next to a GS, C6Z or C7Z, and any ZR1 it just looks cheap. Everyone knows what a Corvette is, and while the C7 looks good, they are everywhere. Park the ISF next to a GSF, RCF, or even an LFA and it'll still grab attention from people who know. Park a C7 at a show and it's just an off the shelf Vette. The ISF may be a little bit slower, but I think it's more special. Personally I like the F for now. It's cheap to own and drive year round and I think you'd like it more with more mods(exhaust, handling upgrades, visual mods etc). Get the C7 if you like, it's still a good car and the best Corvette ever and makes my past C5 look like a bucket in and out. Forgive my rambling..

TLDR:,I think the C7 isn't special unless GS/Z06/ZR1, even then, I think I'd rather go Viper or German, but a modded F is plenty for now.
Maybe we go to different types of meets/shows. I've been to a few and the IS-F didn't grab much attention. Most people ask if it's a real F or assume it's a F-Sport from what I've seen. Many assume it's a regular 2IS until they look up close. A base C7 doesn't get much attention either if it's attention is what the owner is after.

Quick Reply: IS-F to a C7 corvette