IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thoughts on 1 owner high mileage 2008 IS-F with no service records ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 10:51 AM
Eggplantgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on 1 owner high mileage 2008 IS-F with no service records ?

Hi all !
I'm currently searching for a 2008 or 2009 ISF in the higher mileage range. I came across one reasonably priced with the leather and exterior color options that I'm looking for. The car is a one-owner no accidents and just under 90,000 miles.

the car looks to be well-maintained cosmetically. I search the Lexus database, but was unable to come up with any service at all on the vehicle. I know the rule of thumb is, to buy one that has service records.

pros-
-the color and leather options I have been looking for
-Priced reasonable
-one owner no accidents

cons- no records at all besides what the dealership service prior to putting the car up for sale. That consisted of oil change, front rotors and front brake pads.
-Car is not local to me, about 225 miles away.

I know there are a lot of people that choose to work on the their cars and choose not to take them to the dealership.
what are the forms thoughts with a situation like this?
Old 01-13-18, 11:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

My "F" is in the same boat. No Service Records at all. Why, because I do my own work. Can you get the name of the previous owner from the dealer?

Lou
Old 01-13-18, 11:53 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I always do all my own maintenance on my cars. With the Lexus I try to put the service info on the owner site when I remember so if I ever do decide to sell it there's some sort of history. If the car is clean and seems mechanically inclined then I don't think it's worth shying away due to service records. My S2K I'm the second owner and there's zero service history in 11 years since I've owned it because I've done all the maintenance myself but car still runs and looks great.
Old 01-13-18, 12:02 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
If the car is clean and seems mechanically inclined then I don't think it's worth shying away due to service records
I think like this as well

I also agree with trying to get the original owner's contact info and inquire more that way. If you feel comfortable after that, you've verified there are no accidents, and everything else about the car is appealing to you, it makes sense to go check it out and drive it

I also work on my own cars, so from this point on, there will be very little to no service history on my F

Last edited by BlckGhst; 01-13-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 12:02 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Either way, I would buy and extended warranty if you can... These cars are mechanically sound but there are things that will go wrong, and when they do you are usually looking at some substantial cash to fix them in labor or parts.
Old 01-13-18, 12:09 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm with flowrider. Nothing on my history except recalls and the first 4 oil changes from the first owners. What's the VIN? Can you post a link to the ad?
Old 01-13-18, 12:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

My car has no Lexus service records other than recall work, and not all of that has been done. I do have a complete used oil analysis history of this engine from Blackstone though. But then again, I don't really care, I have no plans to part with this car any time soon.
Old 01-13-18, 12:40 PM
Eggplantgs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replays.
this is the add http://www.deluxeautosales.com/inventory?q=Isf+
Old 01-13-18, 01:11 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

There's a crap ton of service records. I haven't looked through it but here it is. VIN JTHBP262685002115
LEXUS DRIVERS blue.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by ZDCATC:
Eggplantgs (01-13-18), Nikeboi09 (07-25-22)
Old 01-13-18, 01:41 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

The good news is it has a new water pump and radiator. Don't worry about the burning/rotten egg smell. It's kind of normal. Do a search to find more info. I wouldn't be too worried every time you see "customer declines" this or that. I'd say most owners are shocked when they're quoted $1200 for new brakes or tires so they decline the service and put it off for a while. The car seems to have a lot of speaker issues and body repairs. If the navigation unit touch screen isn't working it's an easy fix that costs a few hundred dollars but you can tell Deluxe Auto Sales that it's a part that retails for $7319 and use that as leverage.

Last edited by ZDCATC; 01-13-18 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eggplantgs (01-13-18)
Old 01-13-18, 01:47 PM
Eggplantgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZDCATC
There's a crap ton of service records. I haven't looked through it but here it is. VIN JTHBP262685002115
Attachment 472738
Thanks!

That't srange I looked online and came up with nothing. I also called my local lexus service center to have them run the vin. They also said it came up empty .
Old 01-13-18, 02:31 PM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP if you want it you may want to hurry and check it out and jump on that deal because you more than likely increased the number of people looking at that car by posting the link.
Old 01-13-18, 03:23 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Originally Posted by N2LEX2L
OP if you want it you may want to hurry and check it out and jump on that deal because you more than likely increased the number of people looking at that car by posting the link.
Oops.

OP, here's the grey one you were also looking at:
LEXUS DRIVERS.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Eggplantgs (01-15-18)
Old 01-14-18, 09:11 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was gonna say that looks like a car I had looked at in NJ reading your first post and sure enough it is.

I passed on it as its not in the best of condition IMO, previous body work, one of the headlights was cracked, full of water,driver seat bolster collapsed etc. and it seems like cars in Nj/NY area like that live a hard life, roads are rough, lots of fender betters, etc.

Its a good price but its priced well for a reason IMO, IE not a mint car if thats what you are looking for.

Dont mean to be negative, just giving you my honest opinion

Last edited by sc3dreamin; 01-14-18 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 11:00 AM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDCATC
Don't worry about the burning/rotten egg smell. It's kind of normal.
I recently created a thread asking about this and no one said this. Kuni Lexus of Portland is currently replacing a leaking headlight and Im having them check this issue out also while its there (as of now they claim they dont smell anything, ugh) but do you have any other info on why its considered kinda normal? Id like to solve this issue if at all possible and Im continuing to research...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 1 owner high mileage 2008 IS-F with no service records ?