IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lc 500

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 05:24 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lc 500

Test drove a LC 500 over the weekend. Very nice car, but not worth the 92K sticker price if you ask me.

Seats are very comfortable, exhaust note is a tad bit raspier(more exotic sounding then the F) heads up displace is nice, sliding guage cluster is neat. Wasn't a fan of the chrome rims. 10 speed transmission seamed a bit much, doesn't shift a quick as the F. Now if you were to line up the Lc next to the F you would see a difference in a drag race, but from one car to the other i couldn't really feel the extra horsepower. Now if/when they make a LCF watch out.

I still like the ISF better

just my opinion.
Old 11-27-17, 06:46 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice. Thanks for the review.

Did you get to take it around any decent turns? Curious how the handling compares.
Old 11-27-17, 09:17 AM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 118 Posts

I also had a chance to test drive a LC500 although the salesperson didn't let me take it up to freeway speeds so I'll share my impressions of driving it with minor bursts of acceleration and in-town feel.

Stock exhaust does sound way better compared to ISF stock, seats are very comfortable, build quality and materials are amazing. Downshifts sound great as usual with all the cars with this motor, I might have heard some minor crackle. I mostly drove it in S+ and the transmission wasn't terrible, agree it's slightly slower than ISF but a lot smoother too (which I prefer ISF's raw feel). I also agree I didn't feel a noticeable power difference between the ISF and LC500, as mentioned it would probably show more in a drag race. Handling was pretty nice, got to take some tight right handers on a green light and turn in feels better than ISF in my opinion. The car does feel lighter than how much it actually weights, it might be more apparent how heavy it is at higher turning speeds but at street driving it wasn't too noticeable if you aren't thinking about it. Ride quality was firmer than ISF but not harsh to me, felt like a balance between RCF and GSF, Chrome wheels are terrible to me personally.

Overall I feel like the car would be nice to purchase used in the future, maybe not for the price tag they are asking NEW. Especially if coming from a non ISF/RCF/GSF and want the V8 from Lexus with attention grabbing styling.

Only time will tell if the LC F will surprise and amaze. (hopefully)
Old 11-27-17, 10:14 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Having attended the Lexus Performance Driving School recently, I thoroughly enjoyed taking the LC on the track (Auto Club Speedway). Seats fit me pretty snug, especially with the side bolsters. Only thing challenging was getting out of the vehicle, as I know the area around the hamstring/thigh felt the full weight when I exited. Upshifts were quick; very comparable to my FBO F. 10 speed is overkill, but back when the ISF was new, people though 8 was as well and I'm pretty sure numerous automakers adopted that approach since.

The car felt very planted on the high speed "roval", and though it is a heavy thing, a sharp left and quick right turn that followed did not have me braking uncharacteristically or wondering if I would begin to plow into a corner. Straightaways are where she shines, and even downshifting felt more rapid than in the IS F, as expected, and sounded much more melodic in comparison to all the F's stock. Overall a beautiful product that should have only been offered as an F variant. Despite rumors and talk of LC F, this engine should've been a part of the F marquee. Not sure what is next, but the car is selling pretty darn good, since I'm seeing them a lot more now (non mfg plates).

My gripes...
-2+2 seating? It was hard as is with the IS F fitting two people back there with a dedicated door for each but the LC makes it difficult for sure
-colors; it would have been nice for Lexus to incorporate some of the color palette that was offered for the LFA into the available color options. But oddly enough, it makes me want Caviar, which I thought I could never do another black car following my F.
-park; a slight quirk, but one that could accidentally get someone veering forward trying to remember how to engage the parking function. It's slight, but not something I prefer
​​​​​​
​​​I wouldn't see a need to mod this thing. Given its competition, it really stands out and competes well spec wise. Sounds great, looks amazing, and for what I think it's worth, it is a great cross balance of luxury and performance, something the brand needed to prove it can do since the last major announcement of spindle grille and implementing a sportier look and feel across its lineup.
Old 11-27-17, 10:54 AM
threefiveo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Having attended the Lexus Performance Driving School recently, I thoroughly enjoyed taking the LC on the track (Auto Club Speedway). Seats fit me pretty snug, especially with the side bolsters. Only thing challenging was getting out of the vehicle, as I know the area around the hamstring/thigh felt the full weight when I exited. Upshifts were quick; very comparable to my FBO F. 10 speed is overkill, but back when the ISF was new, people though 8 was as well and I'm pretty sure numerous automakers adopted that approach since.

The car felt very planted on the high speed "roval", and though it is a heavy thing, a sharp left and quick right turn that followed did not have me braking uncharacteristically or wondering if I would begin to plow into a corner. Straightaways are where she shines, and even downshifting felt more rapid than in the IS F, as expected, and sounded much more melodic in comparison to all the F's stock. Overall a beautiful product that should have only been offered as an F variant. Despite rumors and talk of LC F, this engine should've been a part of the F marquee. Not sure what is next, but the car is selling pretty darn good, since I'm seeing them a lot more now (non mfg plates).

My gripes...
-2+2 seating? It was hard as is with the IS F fitting two people back there with a dedicated door for each but the LC makes it difficult for sure
-colors; it would have been nice for Lexus to incorporate some of the color palette that was offered for the LFA into the available color options. But oddly enough, it makes me want Caviar, which I thought I could never do another black car following my F.
-park; a slight quirk, but one that could accidentally get someone veering forward trying to remember how to engage the parking function. It's slight, but not something I prefer
​​​​​​
​​​I wouldn't see a need to mod this thing. Given its competition, it really stands out and competes well spec wise. Sounds great, looks amazing, and for what I think it's worth, it is a great cross balance of luxury and performance, something the brand needed to prove it can do since the last major announcement of spindle grille and implementing a sportier look and feel across its lineup.
I was at the Performance Driving School as well, team green here. :-) I thought the LC500 was a great car overall. The differentiator for the LC from the GS and RC I found mostly related to the chassis. The car felt more stable and well balanced. You can feel the additional width of the car on the track. The park button was interesting and had more of a Prius feel to me than a proper sports car. I'm eager to see what Lexus brings for the LC F model. I would love to see a return of the ISF, having the 4 doors is a must for me and the GS, while great, is a bigger car than I need 90% of the time.
Old 11-27-17, 12:12 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

My neighbor purchased an LC 500 for his wife and he asked me if I wanted to drive it. We put it through some of it's different driving modes. Everything posted above is true and the car really is exceptional, for his wife. Big car, very heavy and in my opinion drove like it as well.

I really don't think the LC 500 would have a chance against my IS F (RC F wheels, tires, lower control arm bushings and cat back Borla). It may have more power, but that 600 pound weight penalty would be really hard to overcome. Kind of thought the thing was a tank. I also have two LS 430's and I like them better that the LC 500. His wife loves the car though. Hasn't a clue what 470 horsepower means.

One thing, the neighbors wife said: people are constantly asking her if they can have a picture with them standing next to the car. No one has ever done that with my car.

Loren

Last edited by lorenr; 11-27-17 at 12:13 PM. Reason: change name
Old 11-27-17, 12:44 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

get giant amounts of attention with an LC, youre not going to get that in an ISF. had tons of people ask and talk to us about the car. You can see people looking at you just driving around town. LC maybe slower than an ISF but its still fast enough. More to a car than how fast it is. The reviews and praise its been getting is better than what the ISF ever got.
Old 11-27-17, 01:17 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
get giant amounts of attention with an LC, youre not going to get that in an ISF. had tons of people ask and talk to us about the car. You can see people looking at you just driving around town. LC maybe slower than an ISF but its still fast enough. More to a car than how fast it is. The reviews and praise its been getting is better than what the ISF ever got.
More power to you, but some short-lived attention does not justify the price tag still.
Old 11-27-17, 04:01 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Last mag review I saw was 13 flat in the 1/4 mile. Certainly not going to walk away from even a stock ISF if those numbers are accurate.
Old 11-30-17, 07:02 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Last mag review I saw was 13 flat in the 1/4 mile. Certainly not going to walk away from even a stock ISF if those numbers are accurate.
Old 11-30-17, 06:23 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

LC500 looks amazing and sounds amazing

I have one, it "feels" slower than the IS-F though
Old 12-01-17, 05:47 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I sat in it and the interior is amazing and super comfy but if I'm spending $100k on a 2 seater I think I'd rather have a Z06. I just don't understand why they stuck the same ol V8 in it. Make is special and put the V10 in it.
Old 12-01-17, 06:42 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I sat in it and the interior is amazing and super comfy but if I'm spending $100k on a 2 seater I think I'd rather have a Z06. I just don't understand why they stuck the same ol V8 in it. Make is special and put the V10 in it.
People are already complaining about a $100k Lexus....what kind of price tag do you think the v10 would give the LC?!? Lol. They're upping the prices little by little...I'm quite sure if and when the LCF arrives it'll be more than special....not only the car, but the price tag as well, lol. But regardless, it'll sell as long as they don't pull a price tag anywhere near the LFAs'.

V.
Old 12-01-17, 03:08 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Z06 and LC are apples and oranges, the interior of the LC feels and looks like something out of a fantasy luxury space ship

The Vette is a basic muscle car with some go fast capabilities

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-01-17 at 10:12 PM. Reason: poor word choice
Old 12-02-17, 07:55 AM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol @ comparing the LC500 to the Z06. No one that would actually shop for one of these cars would consider the other one instead; they serve completely different purposes. LC500 might get cross shopped with base 911 models, or more likely Merc SL.

I haven't driven one, but last time I was in for service, they started up the LC500 and the LFA in the showroom and revved them back to back. The LC500 sounded much tougher than I expected, given this will likely be a car driven by non-enthusiasts. Fantastic interior, and I would certainly take a road trip in it. Certainly wouldn't buy it for performance or DD, lots of other options in that price bracket that are more attractive.

Quick Reply: Lc 500