IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 ISF buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 09:53 AM
mattknot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 ISF buying advice

I am looking to make an ISF my next daily driver, have been in a 03 s2k for the last two years and while I love the car living in a miata++ gets old. I have been looking at cars <$25k and am leaning heavily towards an 08 ISF. Is there anything I should be mindfull of before going that route? I am aware brakes on these cars a pricey. What else should I be on the look out for? The cars i'm seeing in that price range are in the 80-110k mile range. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-29-17, 10:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Welcome to this site. Lot's of GREAT information here and lot's of GREAT members who freely share much information. But, you have posted to the wrong forum. You should have posted here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/

I have owned my '08 ISF since new, NINE years now, and have FBO. I have no plans to get rid of my "F" any time soon

Also, this forum has an excellent search function. I would advise you get to know it. May I start you off with these:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-with-v8.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-2008-isf.html

Lou
Old 10-29-17, 09:23 PM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy mine and call it a day. Exactly what your asking for.
Old 10-30-17, 11:49 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The S2000 is a wonderful car (I had 2) and you will find many here came from owning them previously as well.
Brakes do wear out quickly (heavy car) but are no longer that expensive to replace as aftermarket replacement rotors are now on the market and there are many pads to choose from. They are also extremely easy to work on if that is your sort of thing.
There are some trouble spots with these cars to look out for, see if they have already been addressed in any car you are considering buying. The threads listed by flowrider detail the issues.
In short, it is a great car with very good reliability. Parts/work is expensive as it was a $65k car when new and VERY few were ever built. Dealer is unfortunately the only place to get some things or to have work done.
Look for a car with few owners, service records and is in very good physical condition. The car was expensive so most were originally "adult" owned, however as prices dropped with age many have seen some abuse from others. There is a growing aftermarket supporting these cars, but nothing like you would get from a more common vehicle.

I'm another owner since 2008.
For maintenance think oil changes, tires and brakes. There was a car here that was just purchased with >333,000 miles driven year round in Illinois (rust belt) and was in quite good condition. These cars hold up. Don't be afraid of higher milage cars.
The following users liked this post:
spacexmase (11-02-17)
Old 11-01-17, 08:55 AM
mattknot
Driver School Candidate

Thankyou all for the feedback, I've been doing a good deal of looking in the last few days and going to go check out a one owner ISF later today.
Old 11-02-17, 05:09 AM
mattknot
Driver School Candidate

I end up buying the ISF, it was a one owner 83k miles in fantastic condition apart from needing new brakes all around, very excited. Thanks again all for the advice.
The following users liked this post:
spacexmase (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 11:53 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. You won't be disappointed. Maintenance isn't as expensive, and I'm sure there are vendors here on the forums who have parts that any IS F owner may need to keep these cars running great. I wouldn't exactly run to the dealership or parts department for OEM parts just yet. Members here have reported using the same part number for parts such as rotors and finding them much cheaper elsewhere. You just need to shop around and see what's available locally. Best of luck and enjoy your F!
Old 11-02-17, 01:01 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by mattknot
I end up buying the ISF, it was a one owner 83k miles in fantastic condition apart from needing new brakes all around, very excited. Thanks again all for the advice.
For anything brake related, I recommend:

http://speedfreaksusa.com

They are a forum sponsor and offer a CL discount.

Lou
Old 11-02-17, 02:02 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats on the pick up, you pulled the trigger quick haha
Old 11-02-17, 02:29 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

How much did you pay?
Old 11-02-17, 06:26 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try and find the best dealer service dept near you if you don't plan on maintaining it yourself. We have great ones where I live, happy to let you bring in parts from elsewhere and install them and honor the work. Some will flat out refuse any aftermarket or any emissions related parts (or I'd imagine even if it is OEM so their parts dept can make money)
Old 11-02-17, 11:18 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Do your own oil changes it very simple and at least you know its the oil you choose and done right. Cabin filter and air filter blind Freddy could do it, don't get him to change the plugs though a bit more involved enjoy .
Old 11-05-17, 04:56 AM
mattknot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vraa
How much did you pay?
After tax/fees/etc just under 25k.

Thanks all, I defiantly will be doing some searching as far as brakes go, it's good to see there are a good number of options out there as far as that all goes. I will defiantly be doing my own oil changes and such.
Old 11-05-17, 05:52 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
Do your own oil changes it very simple and at least you know its the oil you choose and done right. Cabin filter and air filter blind Freddy could do it, don't get him to change the plugs though a bit more involved enjoy .
LOL!!! Blind Freddy.

After tax/fees/etc just under 25k.

Thanks all, I defiantly will be doing some searching as far as brakes go, it's good to see there are a good number of options out there as far as that all goes. I will defiantly be doing my own oil changes and such.
Congrats on the purchase! Enjoy it in good health! It's an awesome ride! Seller partscontainer on eBay sells the rotors really inexpensive. As mentioned above, speedfreaks is an excellent vendor. I also want to add RR Racing, they sell winmax pads that perform way better than stock. Along with other awesome performance parts. Not sure if I missed it, but post pictures!
Old 11-05-17, 11:49 AM
shikikan
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the buy! I'm located in Hawaii and its so hard to find one here. If anyone is selling I'm in the market for one, financing all in order too, lmk

Quick Reply: 08 ISF buying advice