IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Got my navigation touch screen replaced. Any tips to make it last?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 03:39 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Got my navigation touch screen replaced. Any tips to make it last?

So last week I found that my touch screen was no longer responding to touch inputs so all climate control, audio, menus, and navigation were not available. I took it to Lexus of TO and got it replaced under an extended warranty I bought last year.

So the touch screen has been able to survive almost 10 years and 73,000 miles. I was wondering if there are certain pre-cautions I can take so that I can extend the life of the touch screen even more. I looked at the invoice of the labor and work done and it would have been close to $1900 if I did not have any warranty. I mean that's about the same amount as a good set of brakes and shocks no? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-27-17, 06:45 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Don't use your finger nails, and press lightly. I had a go at my wife for using her long nails she under stood after I explained it may damage it and cost a lot to fix. Don't clean it with any solvents just a damp cloth cheers.
Old 10-27-17, 08:36 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

It’s wears and tears , joez has same problem , he found out it was the circus board that messed up and fixed that problem solved . Logic board was out ; but his isf has 143k miles on it. Here some pic he sent me few days ago.

Old 12-23-17, 06:48 AM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im curious cvt, how much would you say you use your screen? By your post I gather youve had the car for awhile and its an early model. As a new owner of a 09 with 50k I'm always looking for ways to avoid issues down the road...

Im perplexed why Lexus would elect to provide a dedicated (and momentary) cabin air pollen button instead of a air flow direction selector. Matter of fact once its set up how I like I doubt I would use the screen much aside from that one lacking button. Everything else is either from the steering wheel or dash buttons, except for being able to select footwell or vents or ect...

Last edited by 400to300H; 12-23-17 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 02:05 PM
DBrian
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One simple thing I do is simply do my daily driving with the screen off most of the time (on my 2102, i hit the "display" button left side, then the touch button "screen off" top right). For example, a lot of people with Nav drive around every day with the Nav map running on the display; maybe just cause it looks cool or whatever even if you're in your home town and don't need any map directions.
Anyway, I certainly don't need the map for my daily driving and if i want tunes, i typically bounce between a couple stations using the steering wheel controls so again i often just leave the touch screen turned off. I figure its a crazy expensive component so maybe leaving it off much of the time will increase it's lifespan...
Old 12-26-17, 07:44 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I drive with my screen off too but my screen stopped responding to my touch as well. The consensus seems to be that heat or heat cycles cause the connection to the digitizer to fail. I say it's an imperfect design and it's bound to fail eventually unless you don't drive your car. It's only ~$300 to get a new screen so I would just go easy on it until it fails again in 10 years.
Old 12-26-17, 07:49 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

What was the warranty you bought that paid for this?
Old 12-27-17, 01:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDCATC
I drive with my screen off too but my screen stopped responding to my touch as well. The consensus seems to be that heat or heat cycles cause the connection to the digitizer to fail. I say it's an imperfect design and it's bound to fail eventually unless you don't drive your car. It's only ~$300 to get a new screen so I would just go easy on it until it fails again in 10 years.
I doubt its heat or heat cycles. Mine is still going fine and it gets plenty hot and cold in Georgia. It has more to do with vibration and use than anything else. Turning the display on or off is pointless. It isn't the failure item, the digitizer is what dies, and it cracks where the ribbon cable joins the array. I've been working on/repairing electronics for a very long time, and if the part doesn't move, vibration is the most common cause of failure when the device is well engineered and well constructed. Solder joint failures and capacitor failures are also pretty common, but they haven't been highly represented in the Lexus world (I do know someone who did suffer a solder BGA failure on his nav). Parts are available, and are not unreasonable at all, thanks to the same nav being used on the rest of the 2IS (and even other Lexus models).

I don't think there is anything specific you can do short of not touching it to extend the service life.
Old 12-27-17, 02:54 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn I was actually going to edit my post earlier today to add the word "vibration" but now I don't have to. Thanks for calling me out on my **** lol.
Old 05-18-18, 12:25 PM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I doubt its heat or heat cycles. Mine is still going fine and it gets plenty hot and cold in Georgia. It has more to do with vibration and use than anything else. Turning the display on or off is pointless. It isn't the failure item, the digitizer is what dies, and it cracks where the ribbon cable joins the array. I've been working on/repairing electronics for a very long time, and if the part doesn't move, vibration is the most common cause of failure when the device is well engineered and well constructed. Solder joint failures and capacitor failures are also pretty common, but they haven't been highly represented in the Lexus world (I do know someone who did suffer a solder BGA failure on his nav). Parts are available, and are not unreasonable at all, thanks to the same nav being used on the rest of the 2IS (and even other Lexus models).

I don't think there is anything specific you can do short of not touching it to extend the service life.
Yep, it's not heat or heat cycles. Mine went out after a bump at a pothole.