2008 isf wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 09:57 AM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^...to try to keep everything in one thread for future references

Originally Posted by mikellucci
In case someone ever does a motor swap or has to buy a new Engine ECM for their car....this will save you a huge headache!

Its PROCEDURE G found on TIS !!!!!

Most dealers do not know this exists or are ignorant to the fact that it can be performed!

(g) PROCEDURE "G"
ECU communication ID registration

NOTICE:
· The ECU communication ID should be registered when the ID code box (immobiliser code ECU) and/or the ECM is replaced in order to match these ECU communication IDs.
· The engine cannot be started unless the ECU communication IDs match.
· After the registration, pressing the engine switch may not start the engine on the first try. If so, press the engine switch again.
· Clear DTC B2799 (code for ECM immobiliser communication error) by either of the following:

- Use the Techstream.

- Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds.

(1) Using SST, connect terminals TC and CG of the DLC3.
SST: 09843-18040

(2) Turn the engine switch on (IG) and leave it as is for 30 minutes.
HINT:
Do not start the engine.

(3) Turn the engine switch off and disconnect terminals TC and CG.

(4) Check that the engine starts and stays running for more than 3 seconds.

8. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN) REGISTRATION
(a) DESCRIPTION
HINT:
This registration section consists of two parts: Read VIN and Write VIN.
(1) Read VIN: This process allows the VIN stored in the ECM to be read in order to confirm that the two VINs, the one provided with the vehicle and stored in the vehicle ECM, are the same.
(2) Write VIN: This process allows the VIN to be input into the ECM. If the ECM is changed, or the ECM VIN and vehicle VIN do not match, the VIN can be registered, or overwritten in the ECM by following this procedure.
(b) READ VIN
(1) Confirm the vehicle VIN.
(2) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
(3) Turn the engine switch on (IG).
(4) Turn the Techstream ON.
(5) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine / Utility / VIN / VIN Read.
(c) WRITE VIN
(1) Confirm the vehicle VIN.
(2) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
(3) Turn the engine switch on (IG).
(4) Turn the Techstream ON.
(5) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine / Utility / VIN / VIN Write.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-10-17, 12:57 PM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it's Monday. Never heard anything from them Saturday. Didn't' hear anything out of them today until once again I initiated the conversation. They haven't made any progress due to the TIS having issues. Now they are waiting for TIS to give directions on what to do/what to check next.......
Old 07-11-17, 10:22 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jvgoins198
So it's Monday. Never heard anything from them Saturday. Didn't' hear anything out of them today until once again I initiated the conversation. They haven't made any progress due to the TIS having issues. Now they are waiting for TIS to give directions on what to do/what to check next.......
No updates?
Old 07-11-17, 11:51 AM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joker4096
No updates?
Talked to the service advisor this morning at 7:15am. He said that tech support had given the tech's a procedure to try. It's now 1:50pm and I have not heard anything yet. My assumption is that it did not work, whatever it was. Hoping to hear something within the next few hours. If not I will contact him.
Old 07-11-17, 01:33 PM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

I contacted the service advisor and he said that the procedure did not work. According to him "they tried another way to program the switch that tech support suggested". They are now on the phone with tech support again.
Old 07-12-17, 07:22 AM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Sooooooooooo. Got a call this morning from the service advisor. He said that the tech's were on the phone with tech support all day yesterday going back and forth checking different things, voltage etc... Tech support has told them to fix the issue the following need to be replaced:

ID Immobilizer ECU
Certification ECU
Steering Lock ECU
Key Fob (tech assistance told them do not use the old key fob)

So hearing that makes me think that tech assistance also has no idea what is causing it. So their fix is to replace everything that has anything to do with starting the car communication wise. I'm so pissed. How can a dead battery have caused all four components to be N/G. I think that is BS. They will have to remove the dash to get to one of them. Total for parts and labor is going to be $4200.00.

Last edited by Jlexus2008; 07-12-17 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 07:28 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Sooooooooooo. Got a call this morning from the service advisor. He said that the tech's were on the phone with tech support all day yesterday going back and forth checking different things, voltage etc... Tech support has told them to fix the issue the following need to be replaced:

ID Immobilizer ECU
Certification ECU
Steering Lock ECU
Key Fob (tech assistance told them do not use the old key fob)

So hearing that makes me think that tech assistance also has no idea what is causing it. So their fix is to replace everything that has anything to do with starting the car communication wise. I'm so pissed. How can a dead battery have caused all four components to be N/G. I think that is BS. They will have to remove the dash to get to one of them. Total for parts and labor is going to be $4200.00.
Very weird. I'm wondering if there is just a damaged wire or ground somewhere that is not getting a good connection. Man that's a huge expense bill for something that can't be explained.
Old 07-12-17, 07:47 AM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Very weird. I'm wondering if there is just a damaged wire or ground somewhere that is not getting a good connection. Man that's a huge expense bill for something that can't be explained.
Yeah I am torn on what to do here. I mean I don't feel good just replacing parts when they can't tell me exactly why they are having to replace them all, but if I don't then I still have a car that I can not get started and is just a paper weight.
Old 07-12-17, 10:53 AM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Sucks man. If you can supply your own parts myLparts.com has pretty good pricing and the CL5 discount code gets you 5% off. It might be worth it to call myLparts and explain your situation. Maybe you can talk them into giving you the club Lexus discount AND free shipping from the July 4th sale that you weren't able to take advantage of because they were still diagnosing the problem. Although my guess is you'll have to pay full retail from the dealership that's working on your car. Or maybe the dealership can match a competitors price? Idk good luck.
Old 07-12-17, 12:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Any chance you can get a second opinion before spending all the money? What they are proposing is ludicrous.
Old 07-12-17, 12:15 PM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Any chance you can get a second opinion before spending all the money? What they are proposing is ludicrous.
This... and what if after spending $4200 the issue isn't solved since the exact issue hasn't been diagnosed?
Old 07-12-17, 12:18 PM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Well I thought about. Then thought well if I haul it to another shop then I am going to basically start over with them diagnosing it. I feel like if I rip it out of where it is, they are going to change the **** out of me for diagnosing hours and doubt the current dealer will give me a detailed list of what they have checked/done and why they have come to that conclusion (changing basically everything communication wise) to pass onto the next shop. I have not got a straight answer as to why all that has to be replaced, just that tech assistance says that is what needs to happen to get the car going. I mean I just don't understand how they all need to be replaced. It's like if one goes bad then all have to be replaced? I find that very hard to believe. I still stick with my theory that neither the shop of tech assistance can figure it out, so they are just going to replace everything that has to do with starting the car communication wise because they can't track down the true communication problem.
Old 07-12-17, 12:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Well I thought about. Then thought well if I haul it to another shop then I am going to basically start over with them diagnosing it. I feel like if I rip it out of where it is, they are going to change the **** out of me for diagnosing hours and doubt the current dealer will give me a detailed list of what they have checked/done and why they have come to that conclusion (changing basically everything communication wise) to pass onto the next shop. I have not got a straight answer as to why all that has to be replaced, just that tech assistance says that is what needs to happen to get the car going. I mean I just don't understand how they all need to be replaced. It's like if one goes bad then all have to be replaced? I find that very hard to believe. I still stick with my theory that neither the shop of tech assistance can figure it out, so they are just going to replace everything that has to do with starting the car communication wise because they can't track down the true communication problem.
I agree 100%. They really don't know where the issue is so let's just swap out everything, charge the poor customer, then when it doesn't work because it's a harness issue, we'll replace the harness too and add it to the bill.
Old 07-12-17, 01:25 PM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

I agree 100%. They really don't know where the issue is so let's just swap out everything, charge the poor customer, then when it doesn't work because it's a harness issue, we'll replace the harness too and add it to the bill.
Yeah man it's a racket. Just boils my blood. I like to know the true problem. I am not a parts replacer, just changing out **** because it could be the issue.
Old 07-13-17, 04:32 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you called Lexus customer care yet? Have you discussed the issue with them? Having the tech line involved does not mean that customer car has any idea of what is going on. Call them if you have not. They will hopefully give you a break. If at least to least to keep you from lighting the car on fire in front of the dealer showroom with a sign stating what a piece of **** the car and service department are.

Quick Reply: 2008 isf wont start!!!