IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 isf wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 09:14 PM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 isf wont start!!!

So I have the car in storage. I went to get it out and start it and it was completely dead. Fob lock/unlock would not work. I had to use the actual key to get inside it was so dead. So I get in pop the hood and replace the battery. Now the issue is I can not get the car started. The fob will still not lock/unlock the car. Yes the battery in the fob is good. Yes I have tried holding the fob to the engine start button and pressing it. I get nothing but the message in the cluster screen about depressing the brake while holding the key to the start engine button. I know the car has power from the battery. Multimeter shows the battery to be fine and my interior over head lights as well as door lights etc come on when the door is opened. There is no cranking or anything when I try the engine start button just the message in the cluster.

Has anyone ever had this issue? I need some help...I am starting to think that the battery was so dead that it lost the programming to the key fob and that is why the fob will not lock/unlock the car as well as the holding it to the engine start button will not work...thoughts?
Old 06-29-17, 09:27 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Will the key open the boot hold the button down for 15 seconds, change the fob battery, hold the unlock down for a few seconds, spare key?? good luck
Old 06-29-17, 09:31 PM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Originally Posted by isfvss
Will the key open the boot hold the button down for 15 seconds, change the fob battery, hold the unlock down for a few seconds, spare key?? good luck
I'm not sure what "Will the key open the boot hold the button down for 15 seconds" means. Yeah the fob has a new battery. I believe I did try holding the unlock down a few seconds a time or two. Did nothing. No spare key...only had one when I bought the car used :/
Old 06-29-17, 09:59 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

On your fob isn't there a boot "trunk" button and a panic button.
Old 06-30-17, 05:22 AM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Originally Posted by isfvss
On your fob isn't there a boot "trunk" button and a panic button.
Oh ok, now I understand hahahaha. Yeah I tried pressing the trunk button but got nothing...I did not try to hold it down that long though. I'll give that a try. Is that some sort of reset? I know you generally have to hold it down a few seconds to open the trunk anyway, but not 15.
Old 06-30-17, 05:35 AM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Do these cars have a security lock? I was also wondering if that is maybe that is what is going on. Like it's a security deal with a completely drained battery. I unfortunately don't know how long the car sat with the battery completely dead. It was started a little over a month ago. So it's been sometime after that.
Old 06-30-17, 05:46 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

My friend had something like this happen on his IS250 when his battery completely drained from sitting, not being started. He had to take in for some kind of "reset". I can ask him later for details if you haven't figured it out. Can you call the dealer for input?
Old 06-30-17, 05:52 AM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

Originally Posted by msgs350
My friend had something like this happen on his IS250 when his battery completely drained from sitting, not being started. He had to take in for some kind of "reset". I can ask him later for details if you haven't figured it out. Can you call the dealer for input?
That's what I was figuring. Unfortunately I discovered this yesterday evening after they were closed. They do not open for another hour. Definitely going to give them a call. Unfortunately that means I'll have to push it out of storage as call a tow truck to get it to the dealer...ugh. Thanks for the input man. Just confirmed what I was thinking.
Old 06-30-17, 06:22 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

You might have to press on the brake pedal with quite a bit of force (much more than normal). My car used to loose brake vacuum when it wasn't driven for several days and so the system would not detect that you are pressing the brake pedal unless you really press down hard. I subsequently had the brake booster replaced under warranty and the problem went away.
Old 06-30-17, 06:41 AM
Jlexus2008
Rookie

I don't think that's it. After trying to start so many times my peddle is hard as a rock. Definitely keeping pressure.

My new issue is how to turn the damn car. Being that I can't start it or even get it in acc mode, I can't turn the steering wheel due to wheel lock. I can obviously unlock the transmission to get it rolling, but I can't turn the wheel...i can only go straight. The car is in a storage unit to where I can not get it on a roll back unless it's turned coming out of the storage unit. I guess I will search for some wheel jacks...ugh all this over a dead ****ing battery...
Old 06-30-17, 06:59 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Have you tried holding the fob next to the start button for a really long time? I think there is a pedal press procedure that you can do also but i have to search for it.
Old 06-30-17, 08:07 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's most likely battery issues, i don't think there is any security that needs to reset after the battery is drained. make sure the battery in your key fob is inserted in the correct side. test the car battery if you think it's drained. next time disconnect the battery terminals if you are going to leave it in storage.
Old 06-30-17, 08:20 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Have an experienced locksmith take a look at your steering column and immobilzer ECMs; one or both of those are not letting your key pass.
Old 06-30-17, 08:49 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Stupid question, but did you by chance happen to connect the battery backwards at first? It sounds like you are not getting full voltage throughout the car.
Old 06-30-17, 10:29 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jvgoins198
I don't think that's it. After trying to start so many times my peddle is hard as a rock. Definitely keeping pressure.

My new issue is how to turn the damn car. Being that I can't start it or even get it in acc mode, I can't turn the steering wheel due to wheel lock. I can obviously unlock the transmission to get it rolling, but I can't turn the wheel...i can only go straight. The car is in a storage unit to where I can not get it on a roll back unless it's turned coming out of the storage unit. I guess I will search for some wheel jacks...ugh all this over a dead ****ing battery...
When the brake pedal feels rock hard there is no vacuum left in the booster. Try and make sure you push hard enough so that there is sufficient movement of the pedal for the pedal sensor to engage. Hopefully that will get your car started...

Quick Reply: 2008 isf wont start!!!