IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Toronto (GTA) Meet

Old 07-31-17, 07:39 PM
Schumi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themap
works for me.
Unfortunately I am out of town for the next three weeks, I can make it early in the day on Sat, Aug 27 if that works for a few folks. Starbucks location near the airport works for me as well.
Old 10-05-17, 11:31 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up an ISF, I was just wondering what driving in the snow around the GTA has been like? I live in Mississauga
Old 10-05-17, 11:37 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ToDesi
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up an ISF, I was just wondering what driving in the snow around the GTA has been like? I live in Mississauga
Unfortunately I cant speak from first hand experience with my IS-F because i store mine in the winter, but i know guys do it.
I drive a RWD IS250 in the winter and its perfectly fine. I think the key is dont cheap-out on a good set of snow tires.
Old 10-05-17, 11:41 AM
ToDesi
Driver

I plan on getting Blizzaks or something just as effective. I just want to make sure there's no issues getting around with the extra power in the winter. I won't have a winter beater so this will be my daily driver.
Old 10-05-17, 11:48 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I plan on getting Blizzaks or something just as effective. I just want to make sure there's no issues getting around with the extra power in the winter. I won't have a winter beater so this will be my daily driver.
i would personally recommend Michelin X-ICE. I had Blizzaks before, i find the X-ICE are so much better.
Back to the IS-F - there is a "snow" mode which mutes throttle response and starts the car in 2nd gear, which does help. But again, coming from me its just anecdotal. Im sure one of the true Is-F winter drivers will chine in.
Old 10-05-17, 01:24 PM
mrfurlly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Southwestern Ontario ISF winter driver here...no problems. I have 225 blizzaks all around on 18s. If you go with 18s check the fitment as not all will clear the front brembos. Snow mode helps but really only necessary in the Timmies drive thru after a snow storm.

edit....guess I should add that I'm at stock height.
Old 10-05-17, 01:44 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey guys,

I drove mine for about half a winter a few years back. If you know how to drive a rear wheel car in winter the ISF is not really a problem. Just remeber that you don't gun it on slippery roads. Otherwise the car is fine enough with decent snow tires. I had Blizzaks on mine mostly because it came with them mounted on winter rims. Apparently the previous owner also drove it for one winter. I bought it at a year and half old.

All my cars have been rear wheel drive cars for the past thirty years and in my experience I find the Michelin Pilot Alpin's to be one the better winter tires. The Blizzaks don't last. I have also had good service with General Altimax tires. My current daily driver and witner car is 98 GS400 that I have been driving every winter for the past ten years and with good snows I have had virtually no problems. My most difficult experience was actually with a set of Blizzaks that were barely half worn. With those tires I managed to get stuck in my own driveway with the tires just spinning away.
Old 10-05-17, 01:52 PM
ToDesi
Driver

That's good to know, I had a RWD 335 as well before and never really had any issues either. I guess I'm going to see if I can negotiate a decent price for the one that on sale this wknd. My daily commute is just 15km each way, so I'm hoping no issues except for the Timmies drive-thru.