IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do you coast your IS-F (Throw in Neutral)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 01:04 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
I can't stand it when people are telling others to sell their car because it doesn't fit one facet of their desires, sell the F and get a prius? That's insane.
Op, i thought you said any insight is appreciated? ... I cant stand it when people buy v-8's producing 416 hp and then asking how do i get fuel efficiency.. people buy these cars knowing fuel mileage is gonna suck.. but that's the payoff for getting a high performance car.. that's why i made that comment about getting a prius.. people buy that for fuel efficiency.. you got the f for performance right? So to ask " hey guys, how do i save fuel on this thing" , that my friend is insane.. again, don't worry about gas mileage, it's gonna suck, but it's worth the 0-60 in 4.4 sec.. peace out and just drive your f like you stole it... that's why lexus built this car, built for performance and not fuel mileage..
Old 04-23-17, 01:08 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Telling someone to buy a Prius when they're asking how to maximize efficiency when they're not driving it like they stole is not insight.
Like I said I came from something that by all means should have been worst as far as range goes than the F. I know headers etc will produce better results BUT my question was in regards to the transmission. It's not ludicrous to want to have a vehicle that gets your heart rate going when you step on it but, when you're cruising doesn't have a miserable range.

Originally Posted by av8or
Op, i thought you said any insight is appreciated? ... I cant stand it when people buy v-8's producing 416 hp and then asking how do i get fuel efficiency.. people buy these cars knowing fuel mileage is gonna suck.. but that's the payoff for getting a high performance car.. that's why i made that comment about getting a prius.. people buy that for fuel efficiency.. you got the f for performance right? So to ask " hey guys, how do i save fuel on this thing" , that my friend is insane.. again, don't worry about gas mileage, it's gonna suck, but it's worth the 0-60 in 4.4 sec.. peace out and just drive your f like you stole it... that's why lexus built this car, built for performance and not fuel mileage..
The following users liked this post:
supersonic (04-23-17)
Old 04-23-17, 01:19 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Telling someone to buy a Prius when they're asking how to maximize efficiency when they're not driving it like they stole is not insight.
Like I said I came from something that by all means should have been worst as far as range goes than the F. I know headers etc will produce better results BUT my question was in regards to the transmission. It's not ludicrous to want to have a vehicle that gets your heart rate going when you step on it but, when you're cruising doesn't have a miserable range.
Woah.. calm down op.. didn't know you'd get butt hurt by that "prius " comment.. you posted in a public forum.. you might not like what others have to say but any response is an insight, someones 2 cents, an opinion.. you need to grow some more cajones op.. Calm down and just enjoy the forum..
Old 04-23-17, 01:23 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

I can certainly appreciate humor, hard to tell what is and what isn't on forums sometimes haha. If only there was a *sarcasm font or something. Anyways, yes this is a public forum and there are opinions that fly rampant on here but, I was asking something that didn't require an opinion. That is where my butt got hurt with that Prius comment. People come on here for all different reasons, I came on here for information and thought I posed a question that would leave me knowing more than I knew before.
Frankly telling someone to sell the car they just got and replace it with an economy car doesn't do much for anyone. Okay maybe some giggles.

Woah.. calm down op.. didn't know you'd get butt hurt by that "prius " comment.. you posted in a public forum.. you might not like what others have to say but any response is an insight, someones 2 cents, an opinion.. you need to grow some more cajomes op.. Calm down and just enjoy the forum..
Old 04-23-17, 01:30 AM
av8or
Intermediate

I can certainly appreciate humor, hard to tell what is and what isn't on forums sometimes haha. If only there was a *sarcasm font or something. Anyways, yes this is a public forum and there are opinions that fly rampant on here but, I was asking something that didn't require an opinion. That is where my butt got hurt with that Prius comment. People come on here for all different reasons, I came on here for information and thought I posed a question that would leave me knowing more than I knew before.
Frankly telling someone to sell the car they just got and replace it with an economy car doesn't do much for anyone. Okay maybe some giggles.
that's the spirit op.. just enjoy the forum.. not telling you to sell the f.. the prius comment was more like a metaphor.. you asked for efficiency ergo you get a prius.. anyway see you around the forum
supersonic (04-23-17)
Old 04-23-17, 07:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
LOL. This sounds like what people used to do in the 70s to try to save gas.

As as I understand it, when in gear and coasting the injectors are off and no gas is being used. When in neutral gas is being used constantly. Seems like you have it backwards.
BINGO. All Toyotas have a "fuel cut" when coasting. You can't get better mileage than zero fuel being injected.

No, Toyota does not invoke neutral in the IS F (or RC F or GS F) when coasting, but absolutely does for EPA numbers - mileage, and emissions. They have been doing this since the 80's when they first devised TCCS.
LexusfanVA (04-23-17)
Old 04-23-17, 08:33 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

This may be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum so far.
Old 04-24-17, 05:48 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^

Lou
I was going to say....hmmmmmmmmm WHAT? lol
Old 04-24-17, 05:48 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I use cruise control when possible, unless I want to have some fun!
Old 04-24-17, 08:14 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah the car isn't using fuel when coasting in gear like previously stated. for the power this car puts out, its actually not that bad on gas considering.

it gets better gas mileage than the M3 I previously owned and that car and the ISF had similar performance and that car has horrible on gas
Old 04-24-17, 10:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
"You can't get better mileage than zero fuel being injected"
It's a toss-up: zero fuel + pumping loss (power used to compress air and cycle the components) at cruising RPM vs. some fuel and reduced pumping loss at idle RPM.

"Downshifting saves your brakes" was considered good advice... when Truman was President. Brake caliper pads are far cheaper to replace than automatic transmission clutches.
Pumping losses are the same. Fuel cut is not induced with the throttle open more than idle, so you're pumping a very tiny volume of air anyway.
Old 04-24-17, 10:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
"Downshifting saves your brakes" was considered good advice... when Truman was President.
Not even then. Brake pads or shoes are cheaper to replace than unnecessary wear on the engine or drive train.

Lou
Old 04-24-17, 10:15 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
This may be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum so far.
But don't let this distract you from the fact that Lexus built this for performance.
Old 04-24-17, 11:05 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If you turn off your engine coasting down hill u will save more gas than in neutral or drive
Old 04-24-17, 01:23 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
But don't let this distract you from the fact that Lexus built this for performance.
Yes, but efficiency and performance can go hand in hand, they didn't add 8 gears for nothing. Compared to it's M/AMG rivals and even the CTSV, it gets far better MPG, just adding to the list of reasons it's a better DD. However, the fuel tank is tiny. I am pretty easy on the pedal DDing throughout the week, and can just barely get to 300 miles a tank, many others I've seen can barely get over 220

Quick Reply: Do you coast your IS-F (Throw in Neutral)?