IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do you coast your IS-F (Throw in Neutral)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 06:24 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Question Do you coast your IS-F (Throw in Neutral)?

I was wondering if anyone coasts their IS-F? Coming from cars that were either Manual or SMG, the IS-F is the first actual Automatic car that I've owned.

There are long stretches of highway that are hills where I live (over a mile) and I want to know if it's bad for the transmission to throw it into neutral then pop back in drive (or even try to rev match then put it in drive).

Any insight would be appreciated as I want this car to last but coasting definitely helps the car's efficiency.
Old 04-21-17, 07:53 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Coasting in neutral doesn't actually help the cars efficiency, it still uses fuel to idle the engine. The greatest efficiency comes from coasting down a hill in gear (i.e. like engine braking), engines use 0 fuel when this is happening - if you don't believe me, take a ride in a car that has an A/F readout, and you'll see. Alternatively, look at your live mileage indicator on the dash. Not only are you saving fuel, but if you downshift to the right gear, you're also saving brakes. Ergo, coasting in a low gear is your max efficiency mode - anyone can step in here and prove me wrong if you have a better idea!

There's no advantage to coasting in an AT car. Also, you'll be putting more wear than necessary on your (expensive) brakes.

Last edited by cjblair; 04-21-17 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnMorgan (04-22-17)
Old 04-21-17, 08:23 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

JohnMorgan (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 12:32 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Cruise control- I've done on long stretches where I'm not familiar with the area or just want to not worry about speeding or drawing attention. But I've never thrown the car into neutral for the reason that if I ever needed to accelerate or maneuver the car using more speed or precision, that slight delay to throw it into DRIVE will be invaluable. That and I'm pretty sure it jerks the car a little bit, which, while these transmissions can take a beating, probably isn't the best approach to just coast around and save some gas.
Old 04-22-17, 03:00 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL. This sounds like what people used to do in the 70s to try to save gas.

As as I understand it, when in gear and coasting the injectors are off and no gas is being used. When in neutral gas is being used constantly. Seems like you have it backwards.

Last edited by Jz39; 04-22-17 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 05:59 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
I was wondering if anyone coasts their IS-F? Any insight would be appreciated
This is an excessively dumb idea. Don't do it.
chrisp1 (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 07:40 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I obviously wouldn't do it on ISF, but some manufacturers have this as EcoMode feature, Automatic transmission jumps to neutral at certain conditions

Last edited by kolyan; 04-22-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 09:38 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the most i do is pop it into N when parking so the car comes to a stop quicker i guess. then i throw it in to R .
Old 04-22-17, 10:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

^^^^

Lou
Old 04-22-17, 11:10 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Any insight would be appreciated as I want this car to last but coasting definitely helps the car's efficiency.
here's my insight.. you want efficiency? sell the f and get a prius.. for heavens sake man, you have a v-8 which produces well over 400hp.. UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!
chrisp1 (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 07:53 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Thank you I did not know this about Autos, like I said I come from Manual / SMG's so this is a whole new world for me.

Originally Posted by cjblair
Coasting in neutral doesn't actually help the cars efficiency, it still uses fuel to idle the engine. The greatest efficiency comes from coasting down a hill in gear (i.e. like engine braking), engines use 0 fuel when this is happening - if you don't believe me, take a ride in a car that has an A/F readout, and you'll see. Alternatively, look at your live mileage indicator on the dash. Not only are you saving fuel, but if you downshift to the right gear, you're also saving brakes. Ergo, coasting in a low gear is your max efficiency mode - anyone can step in here and prove me wrong if you have a better idea!

There's no advantage to coasting in an AT car. Also, you'll be putting more wear than necessary on your (expensive) brakes.
I had an E60 M5 that I would average about 23 MPG in with full bolt ons (499.7 WHP). With how much driving I do efficiency is something to consider when the tank is so small and I need range. I'm not complaining about the mileage, just asking how to maximize it.
I can't stand it when people are telling others to sell their car because it doesn't fit one facet of their desires, sell the F and get a prius? That's insane.

Originally Posted by av8or
here's my insight.. you want efficiency? sell the f and get a prius.. for heavens sake man, you have a v-8 which produces well over 400hp.. UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!
Old 04-22-17, 09:18 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Thank you I did not know this about Autos, like I said I come from Manual / SMG's so this is a whole new world for me.
If you're looking to maximize mileage (which is completely legitimate, no need to get a prius lol), the same advice applies to any car - doesn't matter if it's manual, auto, smg, dct, dsg, etc etc etc - coasting down a hill while you're in gear and operating under engine braking conditions be more efficient than coasting in neutral.
Old 04-22-17, 10:35 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With your insane thoughts of putting in neutral while coasting downhill to save gas and seem like you're caring more about MPG, Prius doesn't sound insane to you at all.

...I can't stand it when people are telling others to sell their car because it doesn't fit one facet of their desires, sell the F and get a prius? That's insane.
Old 04-22-17, 10:38 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

I ask an honest question about the transmission and maximizing efficiency as I've never owned an Automatic and get told to buy a Prius. Great advice and a real sense of comradery here.

Originally Posted by avgj0F
With your insane thoughts of putting in neutral while coasting downhill to save gas and seem like you're caring more about MPG, Prius doesn't sound insane to you at all.
Old 04-22-17, 10:44 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Originally Posted by avgj0F
You're being obtuse (or trolling? haha)

Why can't someone want a car that has great performance capability, and also appreciate getting good mileage when they're not driving the nuts off it? The guy went to great lengths to get a car in a spec that we should all appreciate as fellow car guys. Don't be a d*ck.

Last edited by cjblair; 04-22-17 at 10:55 PM.
supersonic (04-23-17)

Quick Reply: Do you coast your IS-F (Throw in Neutral)?