IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pads & Rotors recommendation. Light track

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 01:38 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Given the options you listed I'm guessing this is Naz, right? If so I'll echo what we discussed on the phone to potentially help out anyone reading this thread who is in the same boat. Your case specifically is more difficult than most because the track you plan on attending is Road America and that track is *brutal* on brakes. There are multiple braking zones from well over 100mph every lap and that simply will never qualify as "light" track use even if you are in a beginner group. You want a pad that makes no noise, dusts as little as possible, works on a track and is cheap (don't we all ). Unfortunately Mike was on the right track with the old saying "low dust, low noise, track worthy performance... pick two". However with the addition of the Project Mu HC+800 and Endless MX72 I argue that has since changed to "track worthy performance, great street manners, inexpensive... pick two"

Basically here's how it breaks down:
1) Since you are very sensitive to dust and noise on the street the best option is to buy a nice low dusting street pad for the street and a track pad for the track. Best of both worlds with no drawbacks other than the time and labor (or money) to swap pads in and out for track events. We have quite a few guys doing this with HC+800 and NS400 as well as Carbtoech 1521 and XP12.

2) If swapping pads just isn't an option the Endless MX72 is the only pad compound that possesses the versatility you desire... but the cost of admission is a big turnoff to most.

Every other pad on that list is much more of a compromise. You will either have a pad that works well on the street but melts at the track or a pad that is compromised more on both ends of the spectrum (i.e. attempts to be a jack of all trades but dusts more than other street pads on the street and doesn't have the track capabilities that you would hope for).

I don't have high hopes for any of the true street pads on that list making it through an entire session without overheating, fading and wearing very quickly. But I think the Stoptech sports or the Porterfield R4-S have the best chance. I feel like I need to make it clear that although the stoptechs are very inexpensive and have a decently high temperature rating, they have a low initial bite and only moderate midrange torque. They work but they are not likely to "wow" you with the way they go about their business. Also note that they aren't particularly low dusting and consistently quiet on the street. I noticed you commented that they are possibly a cheaper substitute to the HC+800 but I need to drive the point home that they are not even in the same league as the HC+800... the differences across the performance board are staggering if you were to back to back them yourself. To put it bluntly the stoptechs will feel like a slightly watered down OE pad but with a better heat tolerance whereas the HC+800 feel much more like a purpose built sprint race compound. The Porterfields are more expensive but have a slightly lower temperature range but have a little better initial bite and are quiet and much lower dusting on the street. Project Mu NS400 will for sure struggle to make it though on a track like RA and HAWK HPS would undoubtedly give up in the first large braking zone they saw and send you into a tire wall (seriously, those pads have no business doing anything more aggressive than driving to get groceries). Winmax's supply chain is not the best and I can't even get a set of W2 for you for 5 weeks minimum so those are automatically out unless RR or someone else has them in stock for you. Even still I question their touted trackability but they are cheap so not arguing they aren't worth a shot down the road.

Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 04-17-17 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikersoft (04-18-17)
Old 04-17-17, 01:43 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Agreed^^...........I run the MX72 and it's the best pad I've ever used hands down! I don't mention them when someone asks for pads because nobody likes the price point (They are not cheap) so I don't bother. What I do know is I'll never run another pad besides the MX72 they truly are the best out there

Matt at Speedfreaks will back me up as they are one of his favorites (if not his favorite pad for the F). I've been running mine for the last 15k and they're still going strong! One of my best mods for the F besides the headers
I wouldn't spend the money to run them on my own cars if I didn't truly believe they are worth it. I'm glad you're still loving the pads too

The OP has used them on another car but I understand that it's harder to justify it on this car since the pads are so much more expensive than other options for the IS-F. But when push comes to shove it is the only compound that can offer exactly what he wants (minus the low cost bit).

-Matt M.
Old 04-20-17, 12:23 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just use oem. so far so good. with 2 track days a year.
The following users liked this post:
Justin727 (04-21-17)