Pads & Rotors recommendation. Light track

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 11:14 PM
almsdriver
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pads & Rotors recommendation. Light track

Hi all,
debating on what pad to choose for my 2008 ISF. I daily drive my F, so 98% of time I need a pad that's good for the street, and very occasional, light track use. I usually do HPDE track events novice group, no time trials, etc.
Old 04-14-17, 11:24 PM
almsdriver
Rookie

Default Pads & rottor reccomendation. Street & Light Track

Hi all,
Looking for some input/feedback on brake pads. Just purchased my 2008 ISF a few months back and I daily drive the car, so 98% of time I need a pad that works well on the street. Very occasional, light track use.

Concerned about initial bite on street and noise. Also minimum dust would be great.

It will be my first track event in the ISF, which is quite heavier than my previous cars, so I know I will need good braking power. I've done HPDE track events in my previous cars, novice group, no TT time trials, etc.

Based on multiple brake threads, here's what I'm leaning towards. Most preferred to least preferred order :

A. Winmax W2. More aggressive than OEM. Low noise, low-avg dust(?), can handle light track events. I like this one the most.

B. Stoptech pads - not really track pad, can handle some track?Cheapest option. Any feedback between StopTech Street VS. StopTech Sport? I know the street dust about same as OEM and bite should be similar to OEM. How about StopTech Sport ? Concerned about noise on street. Any experience/feedback?

C. Hawk HPS - Not a track pad, but can handle light track. Average dust. Low noise.

D. Project MU NS400 street only. Low dust, good initial bite. Low/no noise.

E. Project Mu HC+800. Expensive, High noise, track pad, not too street friendly. Probably bad choice for me.

Also considering Porterfield R4S. Any experience with these?

For Rotors I'm planning to go with Raybestaos or eBay Bremhos. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by almsdriver; 04-15-17 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Spaces correction
Old 04-14-17, 11:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

What kind of friction level do you like?
Old 04-14-17, 11:55 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

At least you have done your home work PU 400,s are a good pad NO noise and good initial bite, all comes down to how aggressive you are on your brakes.
Old 04-15-17, 12:09 AM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by almsdriver
Hi all,

Looking for some input/feedback on brake pads. Just purchased my 2008 ISF a few months back and I daily drive the car, so 98% of time I need a pad that works well on the street. Very occasional, light track use.

Concerned about initial bite on street and noise. Also minimum dust would be great.

It will be my first track event in the ISF, which is quite heavier than my previous cars, so I know I will need good braking power. I've done HPDE track events in my previous cars, novice group, no TT time trials, etc.

Based on multiple brake threads, here's what I'm leaning towards. Most preferred to least preferred order :

A. Winmax W2. More aggressive than OEM. Low noise, low-avg dust(?), can handle light track events. I like this one the most.

B. Stoptech pads - not really track pad, can handle some track?Cheapest option. Any feedback between StopTech Street VS. StopTech Sport? I know the street dust about same as OEM and bite should be similar to OEM. How about StopTech Sport ? Concerned about noise on street. Any experience/feedback?

C. Hawk HPS - Not a track pad, but can handle light track. Average dust. Low noise.

D. Project MU NS400 street only. Low dust, good initial bite. Low/no noise.

E. Project Mu HC+800. Expensive, High noise, track pad, not too street friendly. Probably bad choice for me.

Also considering Porterfield R4S. Any experience with these?

For Rotors I'm planning to go with Raybestaos or eBay Bremhos. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Please

Don't

Type

This
The following users liked this post:
almsdriver (04-15-17)
Old 04-15-17, 12:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
At least you have done your home work PU 400,s are a good pad NO noise and good initial bite, all comes down to how aggressive you are on your brakes.
I'd say it comes down to how hard to you want to press on the pedal to scrub off speed. I really like the HC and HC+800 pads because they feel like race pads without the severe noise and rapid rotor wear full race pads give. They can actually overwhelm ABS and lock the wheels up.
Old 04-15-17, 07:49 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I have Stop Tech Sport. Daily driver but have 3 track days on them. They perform well on the track. But there is some squealing and plenty of dust. Price is hard to beat too. Maybe not the best choice but a nice compromise.
Old 04-15-17, 11:03 PM
almsdriver
Rookie

Thanks for all responses folks.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What kind of friction level do you like?
I don't know enough about the subject. I'll look into it. I just want a decent street and light track combo. Hopefully low noise and dust.

Originally Posted by isfvss
I was advised against Project Mu NS400 pads if I plan on doing track days. Multiple sources. Great street pads though, looks like everyone likes em.

Originally Posted by empathy
Please. Don't. Type. Like. This
Posted from phone, didn't catch that. Corrected, see above. My bad.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd say it comes down to how hard to you want to press on the pedal to scrub off speed. I really like the HC and HC+800 pads because they feel like race pads without the severe noise and rapid rotor wear full race pads give. They can actually overwhelm ABS and lock the wheels up.
I think the HC+800 will be a little overkill for my purposes. Given 98% of the time car will be street driven. And I'm afraid they will squeal more than I'm willing to tolerate on the street. Thanks for input.

Originally Posted by lexicon72
I have Stop Tech Sport. Daily driver but have 3 track days on them. They perform well on the track. But there is some squealing and plenty of dust. Price is hard to beat too. Maybe not the best choice but a nice compromise.
Great, thanks a lot for sharing! That's exactly what I needed to know. How bad is squealing on the street/city? Can hear with windows up? At low or high speed, both? I care less about squealing at the track.

I got a ride today from a fellow ISF owner that just installed StopTech Street front and StopTech Sport rear. The squealing was not bad, something I could live with, no squealing in back that I heard of, and I was in the back seat too.
Old 04-16-17, 07:07 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the HC+800 will be a little overkill for my purposes. Given 98% of the time car will be street driven. And I'm afraid they will squeal more than I'm willing to tolerate on the street. Thanks for input.
My experience with the HC+800 is they're pretty quiet once properly bedded. Though, it does take some serious heat to bed them. I went through an entire set last year (~9K miles of daily driving with 8 track days), and they remained quiet till the end. However, they're definitely not low dust. I guess that's the trade-off. IMO, if you took the old saying "You can choose any two out of three", and applied it to this topic, those choices would be:

*Track-worthy Performance
*Low noise
*Low dust

-Mike
Old 04-16-17, 08:26 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Great, thanks a lot for sharing! That's exactly what I needed to know. How bad is squealing on the street/city? Can hear with windows up? At low or high speed, both? I care less about squealing at the track.
For me, squealing comes and goes....slightly annoying...there are threads on this. I bedded the brakes and they were squeal free for a year. Now it comes and goes. Yes I hear it with the windows up. Low speed squeal only. Again, check the threads for others experience.
almsdriver (04-16-17)
Old 04-16-17, 08:26 AM
almsdriver
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikersoft
My experience with the HC+800 is they're pretty quiet once properly bedded. Though, it does take some serious heat to bed them. I went through an entire set last year (~9K miles of daily driving with 8 track days), and they remained quiet till the end. However, they're definitely not low dust. I guess that's the trade-off. IMO, if you took the old saying "You can choose any two out of three", and applied it to this topic, those choices would be:

*Track-worthy Performance
*Low noise
*Low dust

-Mike
really? I thought the HC+800 were quite noisy on the street. Thanks for feedback and i agree 100% "You can choose any two out of three" sounds about right.

There is one pad however that will do all three of the above, the Endless MX72. It's the perfect recipe for folks like me, Endless know they found the perfect balance and they charge accordingly. Used them in the past, excellent pads. The only down side is price, ~$800 for ISF front and rear.

I've done some more research and looks like StopTech Sport is the way to go for my application. From what it sounds, they do a similar job that the HC+ 800, Hawk HP Plus and other similar pads will do for a fraction of the cost. The price is very appealing if I'm honest. Worst case, I'll upgrade the front to something more street friendly if noise will be an issue down the line and use the StopTech Sport for track events, etc.
Old 04-16-17, 08:30 AM
almsdriver
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexicon72
For me, squealing comes and goes....slightly annoying...there are threads on this. I bedded the brakes and they were squeal free for a year. Now it comes and goes. Yes I hear it with the windows up. Low speed squeal only. Again, check the threads for others experience.
Thanks for the info, I'll check. At $68 for the front pair, I'm willing to take the gamble and see if it works for me. If it doesn't I'll get something else for street. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-17, 09:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I have Ferodo DS2500 in front and PM HC+800 in back. Properly bedded in, I have no noise. These pads coupled with the RRRacing USRS bushings produce virtually no dive, positive feel, and very strong braking. I can't praise the setup I have enough. There is some dust, less than OEM, but something I'm willing to live with because of the strong performance.

Lou
almsdriver (04-16-17)
Old 04-17-17, 04:50 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

There is one pad however that will do all three of the above, the Endless MX72. It's the perfect recipe for folks like me, Endless know they found the perfect balance and they charge accordingly. Used them in the past, excellent pads. The only down side is price, ~$800 for ISF front and rear.
Yeah, they seem like the ultimate all around pad, but I don't think I want to fork over double what I pay for the HC+800.
almsdriver (04-17-17)
Old 04-17-17, 08:48 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Agreed^^...........I run the MX72 and it's the best pad I've ever used hands down! I don't mention them when someone asks for pads because nobody likes the price point (They are not cheap) so I don't bother. What I do know is I'll never run another pad besides the MX72 they truly are the best out there

Matt at Speedfreaks will back me up as they are one of his favorites (if not his favorite pad for the F). I've been running mine for the last 15k and they're still going strong! One of my best mods for the F besides the headers
almsdriver (04-17-17)

Quick Reply: Pads & Rotors recommendation. Light track