Terrible Gas Mileage! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 06:21 PM
OutcastMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible Gas Mileage! Help!

Hi Club Lexus Community,

This is my first post! I just picked up a 2010 IS-F and it has the worst MPG..

I've seen everyone getting at least 16+ MPG in the city.

I'm clocking at consistent 10 MPG just driving very conservative.

I just did an oil change with Motul 8100 X-Clean, OEM oil filter and gasket.

Next is OEM air filter or K&N.

The IS-F needs some TLC.

What is everyone's input for getting her back to being healthy?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-17, 06:26 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by OutcastMax
Hi Club Lexus Community,

This is my first post! I just picked up a 2010 IS-F and it has the worst MPG..

I've seen everyone getting at least 16+ MPG in the city.

I'm clocking at consistent 10 MPG just driving very conservative.

I just did an oil change with Motul 8100 X-Clean, OEM oil filter and gasket.

Next is OEM air filter or K&N.

The IS-F needs some TLC.

What is everyone's input for getting her back to being healthy?

Thanks!
Fuel system cleaner and reset the ECU.
Old 03-28-17, 06:28 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

10 mpg??. Not normal. Lift the car and check if all 4 wheel turns freely on neutral. Maybe a stuck caliper. I had that mpg when i just had the car but i was not conservative at all with it if you know what i mean. Next change plugs check air filter. No cel light? Are you in freezing wheater? Do you drive the car cold for short periods ?
Old 03-28-17, 06:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Check air pressures as well in tires
Old 03-28-17, 07:39 PM
josh810
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Los Angeles, and experience heavy bumper to bumper traffic. It's soo bad that I've seen 12mpg tank average all city.
Old 03-28-17, 07:54 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Driving 95 percent in NYC I get around 11-12 mpg. If you drive in heavy traffic you'll get very low mileage. Now, when I take it out to VA I do get 28 mpg on the high way.
Old 03-29-17, 05:00 AM
wrenca91
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

During the winter, my average gas mileage drops noticeably. I was easily getting 21-22mpg per tank (I typically drive like a grandma) for most of the year, but during the winter I was struggling to maintain even close to 20 (averaging around 19). I presume that winter blend fuel has a lot to do with my mpg drop, but I am not sure if it could explain 10mpg... could still be a factor, though?
Old 03-29-17, 06:02 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try seafoam spray or the one you throw in the tank.
Old 03-29-17, 06:27 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by josh810
I live in Los Angeles, and experience heavy bumper to bumper traffic. It's soo bad that I've seen 12mpg tank average all city.
Los Angeles as well about about the same, 12-13 mpg, with all City. I have seen as high as 27 mpg with all highway.
Old 03-29-17, 09:28 AM
OutcastMax
Driver School Candidate

I resided in Orange County, CA. There's definitely a lot of stop and go traffic during rush hour. I drove to LA and back and only clocked in 12 MPG on the freeway.

My tire pressure is at 40 PSI but the passenger side tires still look a little flat. Gas station pumps suck so I'm going grab my tire pressure gauge tonight.

The car slightly pulls to the right as well. No CEL. I scanned the ECU with the OBDII wifi dongle.

I did a reset on the ECU last night (Pulled the fuses) and it's driving a little better.

I'll do some sort of fuel system cleaner, spark plug change, air filter change, check tire pressure and alignment next.

For 114,000 miles, the engine purs like a tiger though!
Old 03-29-17, 09:30 AM
OutcastMax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by v8sedan
10 mpg??. Not normal. Lift the car and check if all 4 wheel turns freely on neutral. Maybe a stuck caliper. I had that mpg when i just had the car but i was not conservative at all with it if you know what i mean. Next change plugs check air filter. No cel light? Are you in freezing wheater? Do you drive the car cold for short periods ?
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Check air pressures as well in tires
Originally Posted by josh810
Originally Posted by jat0223
Driving 95 percent in NYC I get around 11-12 mpg. If you drive in heavy traffic you'll get very low mileage. Now, when I take it out to VA I do get 28 mpg on the high way.
Originally Posted by wrenca91
During the winter, my average gas mileage drops noticeably. I was easily getting 21-22mpg per tank (I typically drive like a grandma) for most of the year, but during the winter I was struggling to maintain even close to 20 (averaging around 19). I presume that winter blend fuel has a lot to do with my mpg drop, but I am not sure if it could explain 10mpg... could still be a factor, though?
Originally Posted by thedude23
try seafoam spray or the one you throw in the tank.
Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Los Angeles as well about about the same, 12-13 mpg, with all City. I have seen as high as 27 mpg with all highway.
I resided in Orange County, CA so it's not freezing at all. There's definitely a lot of stop and go traffic during rush hour. I drove to LA and back and only clocked in 12 MPG on the freeway.

My tire pressure is at 40 PSI but the passenger side tires still look a little flat. Gas station pumps suck so I'm going grab my tire pressure gauge tonight.

The car slightly pulls to the right as well. No CEL. I scanned the ECU with the OBDII wifi dongle.

I did a reset on the ECU last night (Pulled the fuses) and it's driving a little better.

I'll do some sort of fuel system cleaner, spark plug change, air filter change, check tire pressure and alignment next.

For 114,000 miles, the engine purs like a tiger though!
Old 03-29-17, 10:04 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Since you are a new owner, do yourself a favor. Pick up either the Figs front LCA bushings or the RR Racing USRS and get an alignment at 714Tires. Your front tires will no longer wear on the inside which could double the life of you front tires. This is a must do for IS-F's.
Old 03-29-17, 10:26 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

I installed the RR Racing USRS about 10 months ago, and got my alignment right after. Well, just got my tires replaced last week and seem like my front tires was wearing on the inside....think I should go to 714tires?

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Since you are a new owner, do yourself a favor. Pick up either the Figs front LCA bushings or the RR Racing USRS and get an alignment at 714Tires. Your front tires will no longer wear on the inside which could double the life of you front tires. This is a must do for IS-F's.
Old 03-29-17, 11:05 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TranV
I installed the RR Racing USRS about 10 months ago, and got my alignment right after. Well, just got my tires replaced last week and seem like my front tires was wearing on the inside....think I should go to 714tires?
Probably. I find that the alignment on my car goes off quickly for some reason. I've had it done twice in the past two years but I now have almost 20,000 miles on the fronts with even wear across the tread since I got new tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) and the bushings. The prior set I had you could see the cords. Also, have the front toe set to as close to 0.00 and they can do. I think you may see a difference.
Old 03-29-17, 11:06 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I would definitely check the simplest things first..

make sure filters and maf are clean, tire pressures, things of that nature.

Quick Reply: Terrible Gas Mileage! Help!