IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New catback exhaust causing unintended throttle blip!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 08:11 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New catback exhaust causing unintended throttle blip!

I had my Joez exhaust installed a few months ago. Since then, I've noticed that the engine revs about 100 rpms or so whenever I gently put my foot back on the accelerator pedal after engine braking.

After the surge, if I take my foot off the pedal again and gently get back on it, the engine doesn't rev. I would have to give the car a little bit of gas and start over again. Surprisingly, the throttle blip doesn't happen when I gently get back on the gas immediately after coasting for that second or so before the car starts to actually slow down via engine braking. I would have to wait for the engine braking for the throttle blip to occur.

The car doesn't noticeably surge forward, but because the exhaust is now much louder, I can clearly hear the slight throttle blip (and see the tachometer needle jump).

Is this normal? Or is this some sort of back/after-fire or exhaust leak?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Old 01-06-17, 08:46 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

.... Everything is normal.....Enjoy the F and the Joe Z exhaust, lol.....!

V.
Old 01-06-17, 10:42 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Completely normal, my borla/bazooka does it too. It surprised me too when I first put it on.
Old 01-06-17, 01:55 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to you both for the quick replies; glad to know it's normal.

What are the mechanics behind it? Is because of the deleted secondary cats? I'm not too familiar with automotive design. Sorry for the newbie questions...
Old 01-06-17, 06:17 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The torque converter unlocks when you let off the gas so when you reapply throttle the rpms will jump up until it locks again. It did the same thing before exhaust you just couldn't hear it. All is good. Now you jneed some headers so you can hear the 6 to 5 rev match downshift in all its glory.
Old 01-07-17, 09:36 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
The torque converter unlocks when you let off the gas so when you reapply throttle the rpms will jump up until it locks again. It did the same thing before exhaust you just couldn't hear it. All is good. Now you jneed some headers so you can hear the 6 to 5 rev match downshift in all its glory.
^^ that 6 to 5 rev match is no joke
Old 01-11-17, 12:41 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Headers are probably not in my future. If I was considering it, I would've just bought the Borla to save $500.

Anyways, I also noticed that the throttle doesn't blip in F mode. Is it because in F mode, there's 100% lock-up in gears 2 thru 8?
Old 01-12-17, 11:17 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sellme
Headers are probably not in my future. If I was considering it, I would've just bought the Borla to save $500.

Anyways, I also noticed that the throttle doesn't blip in F mode. Is it because in F mode, there's 100% lock-up in gears 2 thru 8?
it should beep if you are in manual mode for sure once you hit the rev limit, just out of curiosity is the sound from the exhaust like a little hiccup?
Old 01-13-17, 07:08 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blackisF08
it should beep if you are in manual mode for sure once you hit the rev limit, just out of curiosity is the sound from the exhaust like a little hiccup?
Beep? I'm not referring to the audible shift notification by the car.

It's not a hiccup. It sounds exactly like revving the engine. Perhaps 50 rpms, not 100.
Old 01-13-17, 07:10 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sellme

I checked out the car again, and it actually does blip in F mode, but not as pronounced and as often. Actually, quite infrequent.