Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 06:26 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
265/35 square R888
Mike,

Do you find it more beneficial to run a 265 square setup instead of using a slightly staggered setup such as 265F/285R to have a little more available meat on the rear tires (especially when you're utilizing a clutch differential)?
Old 08-28-16, 11:10 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

I would say I favor a square setup on track because it makes the traction limit more predictable and relative tire temps the same plus weight vs traction of the wider wheel setup has better dig characteristics on throttle. I actually still miss the 245 (r-comp) and still not convinced the weird shape of the R888 and its transition behavior. The OS Giken will push right through the apex with grip under acceleration so I never need to worrry about the back end swapping up. Even when the rear end does step, its extremely settled and easy to get back in line thanks to the changes we have made. Larger tires slow everything down and the skinnier the tire and lighter the wheel, the better the F handles as we have it setup. If I go wider I find there is not enough power to take advantage of it, at least with the tires we have tested. The 305 street tires we could get to break loose, just not the stickies so I think it really depends on the tire, the air pressure etc. Add on top of that the amount of bumpsteer and camber run in the rear and there are too many variables to make a generalization. When dialed in our car has so much grip that you start to weigh the consequences of losing it and usually I would rather take home the car in one-piece than "win " a track day.
Originally Posted by redspencer
Mike,

Do you find it more beneficial to run a 265 square setup instead of using a slightly staggered setup such as 265F/285R to have a little more available meat on the rear tires (especially when you're utilizing a clutch differential)?
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-29-16, 10:35 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
I would say I favor a square setup on track because it makes the traction limit more predictable and relative tire temps the same plus weight vs traction of the wider wheel setup has better dig characteristics on throttle. I actually still miss the 245 (r-comp) and still not convinced the weird shape of the R888 and its transition behavior. The OS Giken will push right through the apex with grip under acceleration so I never need to worrry about the back end swapping up. Even when the rear end does step, its extremely settled and easy to get back in line thanks to the changes we have made. Larger tires slow everything down and the skinnier the tire and lighter the wheel, the better the F handles as we have it setup. If I go wider I find there is not enough power to take advantage of it, at least with the tires we have tested. The 305 street tires we could get to break loose, just not the stickies so I think it really depends on the tire, the air pressure etc. Add on top of that the amount of bumpsteer and camber run in the rear and there are too many variables to make a generalization. When dialed in our car has so much grip that you start to weigh the consequences of losing it and usually I would rather take home the car in one-piece than "win " a track day.
Thanks for the detailed explanation and perspective!

Your reply definitely has me contemplating on future tire set-ups and whether or not the added weight of larger tires is worth the additional traction (in my case, I'm looking to go from 245F/265R to 255F/275R on Michelin PSS tires).
Old 08-29-16, 02:45 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

He is talking about a much stickier compound though.