Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SPC Control arms +RCA=problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 03:48 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPC Control arms +RCA=problem?

I have the SAGE RCA for the front and the SPC Adjustable control arms. I set my height to be barely tucking maybe 1/8" of tire. I took it to get it aligned today and the guy kinda freaked out because there wasn' hardly any clearance between the UCA and shock tower. He said the angle on the UCA was too extreme, it was hitting the shock tower and he didn't want to align it until it was corrected.

Anybody else have any issues like this? I planned to cut out for the shock tower clearence but the control arm angle worries me a little. The guy works on race cars etc.. so I would think he has seen modified suspensions before.

My question is does the taller balljoint on the SPC's cause a more extreme angle for the arm? This seems like it would transfer alot of the suspension dampening to the upper balljoint and UCA bushings.

Should I find a different alignment guy? I have not actually used this guy before but is at a very reputable shop.
Old 03-23-10, 03:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

From the looks of your previous pictures, it does look like the SPC balljoints are taller than the stock one.

With RCAs, you're raising the knuckle up even further. If you remove the RCAs, then the angle on the balljoints will be less 'extreme.'

It's only going to angle more when the suspension compresses as you drive on the road.
Old 03-23-10, 04:03 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

i have spc upper arms control and RCAs. My RCAs is 0.5. i dont have problem. if you dont have LS calipers installed, just remove the RCAs. The SPC upper arm control has ability to adjust the caster and camber. Hope this help.
Old 03-23-10, 07:29 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
From the looks of your previous pictures, it does look like the SPC balljoints are taller than the stock one.

With RCAs, you're raising the knuckle up even further. If you remove the RCAs, then the angle on the balljoints will be less 'extreme.'

It's only going to angle more when the suspension compresses as you drive on the road.
But won't the UCA raise to same angle as long as it as at the current height regardless if the RCA's are in intalled or not?
Old 03-24-10, 07:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Approximately the same. The only downside is that you'll be raising your car without the RCA.

It's up to you to decide which one you want to keep. If you keep both, then you're going to have to live with the fact that the balljoints are angling. That is unless you raise up the car slightly.
Old 03-24-10, 07:38 AM
tarnut77
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Approximately the same. The only downside is that you'll be raising your car without the RCA.

It's up to you to decide which one you want to keep. If you keep both, then you're going to have to live with the fact that the balljoints are angling. That is unless you raise up the car slightly.
I only got the RCA's to compensate fore the raise of the SPC Balljoints. I think I am just going to get some OEM control arms and put the RCA's and adjustable control arms up for sale.
Old 03-24-10, 08:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

If you're going to get rid of both the RCA and SPC arms, your camber will be even worse at the height you're at now.

I would stick with the RCAs to see how they your car aligns (hope you have lifetime alignment). Most lowered guys on here are able to get by with just RCAs and still have reasonable tire wear.
Old 03-24-10, 01:47 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You must be really low for the SPC UCA to hit the tower.

With that being said....did the SPC provide enough positive camber?
Old 03-24-10, 04:16 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
You must be really low for the SPC UCA to hit the tower.

With that being said....did the SPC provide enough positive camber?
I took the SPC control arms off and left the RCA's. I didnt think it was supper low. Just about 1/8" of tire tucked in the front.

When I installed the SPC arms I set the camber adjustment to the midpoint and it almost looked like my camber was maybe slightly positive. It corrects 2.5 degrees if I recall.

In looking at the arms they are made differently from the oem one's. The Oem arms are more of an ark and have a slight angel where the ball joint attaches. The SPC arms are flat and angular. The are a bit wider and sit approximately 3/4" higher. I noticed when I pulled them off they were hitting in 3 places. not just the top. Part of the reson is that the end of the arm where the ball joint sits is squar instead of round like the oem. One corner of the arm was hitting. I think this could be ground down to make it work. It was also hitting the two peices of metal that stick out where the control arm hinges go between.
Old 03-24-10, 04:19 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Woah sounds like it was hitting in a lot of places, weird.
Old 03-29-10, 02:57 PM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

I have the SPC control arms and i'm thinkng i may b having this same problem. I love the adjustability but i think they are hitting stuff too. If anyone has any definitive solutions please let me know.
Old 06-02-10, 01:46 PM
motolex722
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i have bc racing coils and spc upper controls arms as well and i'm having the exact problem. i know exactly what you're talking about where its hitting. i painted the area where bare metal was showing and drove it for about 2 weeks till i checked it again. well the paint isn't scratched but its still hitting, but where? then i got to thinking, could it be that the angle is so extreme that the ball joint is running out of angle to move so its banging because it wants to flex beyond its max angle? if so, that could be pretty dangerous. i'm set to tucking about an 1/8 of the tire as well on exact rca's.

another problem is that if i take the rca's off, the car raises a about an inch? even fully slammed on the coils its not able to get to the level i had with the rca's? what the hell gives? is it the upper control arms or the coils?
Old 06-02-10, 02:44 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The height of the RCA is the additional drop you will get. So, if you have a 1 inch RCA, your suspension will be adjusted by 1 inch (It will effectively drop by 1 inch). I don't think this is the answer to your question though, but just in case,...
Old 06-02-10, 07:07 PM
motolex722
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

yea i need to run the rca to compensate for the raise in height in the upper control arm but now there is barely any room between the top of the upper control arm and the body of the car. the spc control arms must be built with a different angle than stock.
Old 10-25-11, 01:14 PM
Feijai85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew, good thing I read this before I purchase the SPC control arms because I have sage rcas also but now I'm gonna stick with oem control arms. Maybe later down the road go with the nagisa or ikeya. Thanks for the reviews guys

Quick Reply: SPC Control arms +RCA=problem?