IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 07:57 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!

So I am pleased to say that I have had a fully ECU written tune on the ISF. Sonny Duran from Autowerks in Beverly Hills completed all this work, for those who have been around tuning cars for a while will recognise him as a big hitter in the Aus / Sydney tuning world. He does a lot of work with AMG and other Euro cars, and everything else obviously as well. Search for his channel "Sonny Duran" on YouTube, its pretty epic. He recently got the Lexus tuning software, and so I booked him in.

Here is some background on the car when taken to Sonny:

2009 ISF, Non LSD

HPS intake tube

Secondary cats had already been deleted, and resonator already deleted

Stock manifolds and exhaust otherwise.

In this guise the car made 232kw at the wheels, which from my tuning experience is probably about right for a 311kw engine given drivetrain loss, maybe a little under what it should be. I'm not particularly worried about the actual kw that is being achieved, more about gains from mods. As long as there is a definitive gain from mods, the actual number doesn’t particularly matter at the end of the day. Even better would be to measure ¼ mile times, but alas, I can't do that! I know some dynos read higher than others, particularly the stuff coming from America seems to be a bit higher than Aus. But, only the gain really matters, particularly 1/4 mile etc, not the end kw figure.

So, after the baseline tune, Sonny told me that the stock manifolds cut down to 2 inches on the exit from the cats, and have a significant restriction at that point. So he cut the factory flange off, widened to 3 inches, and re-joined to factory mid section. See pictures below. As you can see, this made a huge difference in what can flow through that section of the exhaust.

At this stage, he also slotted in a K&N panel filter into the standard air box. With these two things done, he re-dyno'd the car, and saw 245kw at the wheels, prior to tuning. This is pretty significant, a 13kw increase in power, which is somewhat comparable to an install of headers, for a tenth of the cost. The car sounds "cleaner" and "crisper" now that it did prior, and basically it sounds more aggressive, better. The sound would not be as good as headers, and not as much power as headers, but significant none the less.

At this stage the car was tuned, including removal of torque management, and adjusting of all throttle positions, like half throttle etc etc. It resulted in 255kw at the wheels. Now please, PLEASE, don’t get carried away with dyno numbers, because to me having driven the car, it's just not what it's about with this car. Because, wow. It is truly a changed car.. I was honestly thinking of getting out of the car, and getting into something else with more lazy torque, more effortless power. I felt there was always a huge hole in the bottom end power curve with the ISF, and my dream has always been to fill that gap rather than chase top end 7,000rpm power numbers. Problem solved.

In "Normal" mode it cruises around quietly and sedately, a corporate sled with manners. The difference is all the doughy'ness of the throttle is gone, half throttle actually means half throttle, and it behaves like it always should have. No hesitation, no having to floor it and waiting and waiting for it to wake up to overtake, its progressive now. And then you start getting into it, and its just next level. Sport mode with full manual is a joy to behold. The torque is filled up at the bottom, and it just wants to rev now. It's bloody great basically!

Keep in mind, this is with basically a standard cat back factory exhaust, with a full custom exhaust im sure you would be in the 270kw at the wheels mark, probably more. I know the exhaust is holding the top end power back, but for the cost of the exhaust, im just not fussed. Sonny built a full custom exhaust for another customer, custom mufflers etc, and made as much power as I did without the tune. So a tune on top of that will obviously make more power than what i have. Again, not fussed. For much less than the cost of either headers or a Joe Z exhaust, not even installed, i have transformed the car and achieved this. I bought the car for $45k with 65,000kms, and cant justify spending big dollars on the mods.

But what I have is a car which in my opinion sounds VERY nice, as good as any Borla or Xforce exhaust, but without ANY DRONE. NONE!! I am very sensitive to drone, and hate it, passionately. I feel this exhaust is now absolutely perfect for me, quiet for 90% of the time, but wakes up when it needs to. I am a happy camper. Here's a vid:

All to do from here, is install the USRS and Oil/Air separator from RR Racing, and enjoy! They are both must haves from research i have done.

Let me know any questions, I'll do my best to answer. I can't give costing's for this work, as Sonny was using my car to develop the tune, and looked after me, but you should give him a call.
Attached Thumbnails ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!-img_2744.jpg   ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!-img_2742.jpg   ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!-img_2745.jpg   ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!-img_2747.jpg   ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!-img_2750.jpg  

ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!-img_2751.jpg   ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!-img_2753.jpg  
Old 08-17-16, 11:09 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Very cool!

Can't say I've seen that approach before to get more power out of the stock manifolds, but kudos to you and your tuner! Good review and thanks for sharing
Old 08-17-16, 11:22 PM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Very cool!

Can't say I've seen that approach before to get more power out of the stock manifolds, but kudos to you and your tuner! Good review and thanks for sharing
You're most welcome, yeah i think it was a great result for the cost, and retaining the cats as well!
Old 08-18-16, 01:16 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Good on you Sparky still like to know the torque figures.
Old 08-18-16, 02:52 AM
willstroo
Driver

At the "peak", starting torque was 650nm at the wheels, end was 695nm. But it has fattened up the whole way through, most noticeably through the mid and bottom end.

I think a big part of it is removing the torque management, its just so much better now. Its how the car should have always been.

A big reason i stuck with the factory airbox and only changed the intake pipe was the loss of torque from removing the two stage intake if going the K&N or other pod style intakes. The top end is better, awesome for the race track, but the bottom end misses out, bad for the street.

I am yet to track this car, but am in it 4-5 hrs a day during work (real estate), so for me drivability etc was key, not a big top end.
Old 08-18-16, 03:30 AM
dabs
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the review.

Why didnt you gut the primaries while you were at it?
Old 08-18-16, 04:31 AM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by dabs
thanks for the review.

Why didnt you gut the primaries while you were at it?
In Aus if we get caught doing that, both the shop that did it and the owner can get a $10,000 fine :-O

Plus, the smell haha!
Old 08-18-16, 06:27 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you translate the numbers to WHP/BHP?
Old 08-18-16, 06:30 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Can you translate the numbers to WHP/BHP?
746 watts equals one horsepower. 311,000 watts is 416.89 horsepower.
Old 08-18-16, 06:55 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Man thanks for sharing Can you post up fly-bys and cabin vids?
Old 08-18-16, 07:19 AM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely a different approach, but obviously worthwhile. Very well written by the way. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 08-18-16, 03:41 PM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by mahcah
Man thanks for sharing Can you post up fly-bys and cabin vids?
Ill get one of the boys from the office to record a drive by for me, see how we go haha!

Old 08-18-16, 03:42 PM
willstroo
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
Definitely a different approach, but obviously worthwhile. Very well written by the way. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thanks mate, no problems at all. To me thats what the forum is all about, sharing knowledge and experience!
Old 08-18-16, 03:51 PM
willstroo
Driver

Here are the dynos

Old 08-18-16, 06:17 PM
AA80E
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mate, nice to see an Australian ISF tuned and interestingly not a tune from RR or TTFS either!
Proximal to the Y pipe appears to be horrible crush bends leading to the reduced benefit of recutting the flanges on the stock cats. The '245kw' curve with the blip on the end seems to be a bit of a misnomer too. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing your results - IMO redo your midsection and there should be more gains...

Quick Reply: ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!