IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intermittent Headlight On/Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 11:00 AM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermittent Headlight On/Off

Installed my 2012 headlights. My drivers side headlight worked when I tested prior to putting bumper back on. I was driving around last night and the light went out. Stopped for gas, start the car back up and the headlight works again. About 60 seconds later, the headlight went out again. I recycled the light switch and it worked, but then went out about 60 seconds later again. Should I swap the ballasts out first or the bulb out first? I feel like the bulb is not the issue considering it works still when I recycle my lights.

EDIT: All other functions of headlight operating normally.

Last edited by smt6; 07-10-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 11:42 AM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

story of my life, im at the point of replacing ballast, bought new bulbs and same issue.
Old 07-10-16, 03:07 PM
PiusGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine kept doing that in my 2009 headlights. I was getting moisture build up because i had the back covers off for the led decoder. Once i put covers back on i didn't have any problems. Check the seals of the covers. Check ballast connection and make sure its not corroded.
Old 07-13-16, 01:40 PM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It ended up being my bulbs. Figured since I had new bulbs I wouldn't have a problem there, but before swapping out a ballast, wanted to rule it out. Worked perfect with old bulbs in.
Old 11-30-16, 05:04 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone else had experienced this... my passenger light started doing this the other day. I noticed it was off, and the next time I started the car it was back on, but about a minute later it was back off. This time I just turned the switch to off, and then back on a few seconds later. Same thing. Bulb worked for a minute or less, then went back out.

I am hoping it is just time for a new bulb, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet.
Old 11-30-16, 06:16 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone else had experienced this... my passenger light started doing this the other day. I noticed it was off, and the next time I started the car it was back on, but about a minute later it was back off. This time I just turned the switch to off, and then back on a few seconds later. Same thing. Bulb worked for a minute or less, then went back out.

I am hoping it is just time for a new bulb, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet.
More than likely it's the bulbs. I bought cheaper Amazon bulbs about 9 months ago and my driver side is doing this now.
Old 11-30-16, 06:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Almost always bulbs. The confusing thing is cycling the lights brings it back, but when you replace the faulty bulb, BOOM, no more issues.
Old 12-01-16, 04:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Joker4096
More than likely it's the bulbs. I bought cheaper Amazon bulbs about 9 months ago and my driver side is doing this now.
These were the bulbs that were in the loaded set of 2012 lights I bought from a forum member who originally obtained them from Sewell brand new. I assume they are OEM bulbs, but I guess I can't say for sure.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Almost always bulbs. The confusing thing is cycling the lights brings it back, but when you replace the faulty bulb, BOOM, no more issues.
Good to know. Yeah, that is what confused me... wasn't sure why the bulb would work again almost immediately by just turning it off and on. I will switch right and left bulbs to see if the issue is fixed on the passenger side before buying a new pair.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-16, 08:19 AM
K2sInteg98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this happen a hand full of times with the driver side light after i installed my 2013 lights. Before doing anything crazy, i swapped the bulb to the other side to see if the problem switched sides, and i havent had it happen again...
Old 12-01-16, 08:21 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by K2sInteg98
Had this happen a hand full of times with the driver side light after i installed my 2013 lights. Before doing anything crazy, i swapped the bulb to the other side to see if the problem switched sides, and i havent had it happen again...
I might try this, I have stock 2008 headlights.
Old 12-01-16, 12:32 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's part of the voltage system. If you disconnect a bulb while powered you'll notice the same result when you plug it back in. Power cycling the lights resets the circuit.
Old 12-03-16, 09:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
It's part of the voltage system. If you disconnect a bulb while powered you'll notice the same result when you plug it back in. Power cycling the lights resets the circuit.
That doesn't make sense. Maybe its only because I've been working with electronic devices at the component repair level for about 40 years, but disconnecting the bulb while it is powered doesn't strike me as a great idea for maintaining a long service life on the inverter. Disconnecting only resets the arc striking phase of operation, the same as power cycling, except power cycling allows the inverter to stabilize before it gets loaded. Sure it's only a few milliseconds, but anytime you are multiplying voltage you're far better off giving the device a moment to collect itself before subjecting it to load. JMHO.
Old 12-05-16, 07:59 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That doesn't make sense. Maybe its only because I've been working with electronic devices at the component repair level for about 40 years, but disconnecting the bulb while it is powered doesn't strike me as a great idea for maintaining a long service life on the inverter. Disconnecting only resets the arc striking phase of operation, the same as power cycling, except power cycling allows the inverter to stabilize before it gets loaded. Sure it's only a few milliseconds, but anytime you are multiplying voltage you're far better off giving the device a moment to collect itself before subjecting it to load. JMHO.
I mean, if you're going to call me out. I just spoke normal because most people don't care/ don't understand electronics. If you've been working with electronic circuit repair for 40 years you know how a HID system works right? The ignitor is only used on startup. Fires off a high charge for maybe 100ms and then shuts off when it detects a current draw from the bulb. Hence why a power cycle resets the system. Is it advisable to disconnect your bulb? No. But a loose connection essentially does just that and will react in the same way as a failing bulb or a bulb that's been purposely disconnected. I wasn't implying that's a way to test, just saying that you'll notice the same results. I got my EE at DeVry btw...
Old 12-14-16, 12:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Just to follow up... I replaced my bulbs and the issue is resolved.
Old 12-15-16, 07:29 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Just to follow up... I replaced my bulbs and the issue is resolved.
I have to do this soon also.