IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hesitation on start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 12:34 PM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hesitation on start up

I have a noticeable hesitation on startup. It happens mostly on cold starts, but sometimes on warm starts too. Not all cold starts have the hesitation -- I made a video where the first 3 are cold starts w/hesitation, (they all sound slightly different) the next is a cold start w/o hesitation, and the last is a warm start.

Otherwise, I don't have hesitation while driving, and it idles smoothly. I've only had the car for about a month and as far as I remember it hasn't changed since I've had it. The only changes I've made are a new battery and a PTS Joe Z exhaust of which neither has affected it. Any ideas? I'm willing to try an injector cleaner, but I have doubts to their effectiveness.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-30-16, 12:49 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the same issue, just haven't had the chance to take it in yet to get it checked out. Could be the car is losing fuel pressure.

Old 06-30-16, 02:26 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Curious to hear what others have to say as mine does the same thing.
Old 06-30-16, 02:52 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i've also had this issue off and on for the last few years. but for me it never happens on cold starts, only on warm starts. and when it happens, it'll happen like once a day for two weeks at a time. then it'll disappear for months.

i've taken it to the dealer a couple of times but they could never replicate it, so, 'nothing wrong.' my battery always checked out, too.
Old 06-30-16, 04:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine does the same thing even after a new battery . Starts but not as fast as it should .
Old 06-30-16, 06:59 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto, mine has no consistency when it comes to starting.. Sometimes immediate sometimes like your video.. But to be honest, the majority of the time it's identical to the video you posted.
Old 06-30-16, 07:00 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had it happen to me what I have noticed it only happens when I press the push button fast if I hold it down maybe 1.5 seconds it starts up normal ...when I just push it fast and let go it hesitates
Old 07-01-16, 02:20 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same issue wonder if something normal or there should be a rep contacted and made into a TSB maybe. Intresting to see who has more info on this.
Old 07-01-16, 05:43 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same for me. Only on warm starts. Last time was about a month ago so it is sporadic.
Old 07-01-16, 09:35 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This has happened to me with several vehicles featuring D4S and push button start, regardless of battery health.
Old 07-01-16, 03:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Another F quirk
Old 01-30-17, 10:30 PM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious if you guys solved this? I sometimes experience long cranks or startups, but noticed that if you press the push start twice and then start the engine it cranks over very quickly. I wonder if it has something to do with the fuel pressure? Maybe you guys can try depressing the start button twice and then starting the engine to see if you get different results.
Old 01-30-17, 10:45 PM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OP here. Since the winter and temperatures have dropped, the issue has disappeared. Waiting for spring/summer to see if it comes back. While I had the problem, I tried as you mentioned to turn the car on by pressing the start button without starting it to try and prime the fuel pump but had no change in behavior.
Old 01-31-17, 06:01 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sedition
OP here. Since the winter and temperatures have dropped, the issue has disappeared. Waiting for spring/summer to see if it comes back. While I had the problem, I tried as you mentioned to turn the car on by pressing the start button without starting it to try and prime the fuel pump but had no change in behavior.

Like others, I've had this issue intermittently on warm starts. There seemed to be a general consensus a while back that this would happen if the car was driven hard and then parked shortly after. Perhaps something to do with fuel and d4s like mentioned? It's been awhile since it's happened to me.
Old 10-28-20, 07:08 PM
cacboyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you fix the problem?

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing some of the same issues and wondering if anyone was able to fix the issue??

Quick Reply: Hesitation on start up