IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Any DFW Peeps with Headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 12:34 PM
Slyryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any DFW Peeps with Headers and exhaust

I just had my PPE headers installed yesterday and I assumed it would be slightly louder but man it is a lot louder to my ears. I have catback Borla and PPE headers with no cats. I was wondering if any of you guys who live in the DFW area can take a ride with me to make sure something is not wrong? Also, maybe it's just me but my butt dyno is not feeling the increased power the headers should make.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by Slyryan; 01-19-16 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished typing.
Old 01-19-16, 01:10 PM
zebani
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think headers alone won't make much of a difference alone. Catback is usually louder than the headers alone but if you have bot the the catback and the headers, that's when it gets loud. I have Borla catback as well and have been considering getting PPEs as well, but the only thing that has been stopping me from doing that is the noise level. I live in a very quiet neighborhood and don't want to harass my neighbors
Old 01-19-16, 04:34 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak where the mid pipe connects to the headers. Even a small leak will make it much louder and the gaskets can be tricky to work with. If you don't know how to check for an exhaust leak, drive it around for a week or so and look for black around the flanges.
Old 01-19-16, 05:13 PM
Slyryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zebani
I think headers alone won't make much of a difference alone. Catback is usually louder than the headers alone but if you have bot the the catback and the headers, that's when it gets loud. I have Borla catback as well and have been considering getting PPEs as well, but the only thing that has been stopping me from doing that is the noise level. I live in a very quiet neighborhood and don't want to harass my neighbors
Thanks for the input. Love how the Borla sounds!
Old 01-19-16, 05:17 PM
Slyryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak where the mid pipe connects to the headers. Even a small leak will make it much louder and the gaskets can be tricky to work with. If you don't know how to check for an exhaust leak, drive it around for a week or so and look for black around the flanges.
That is what I am afraid of. Getting more used to it but to me it sounds like a "putting sound" when I first accelerate. Just don't know if that is the sound they make since the cats have been removed. Again could be in my head. Do headers make a big difference in sound? Especially in the cabin?
Old 01-19-16, 07:34 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

You always get that exhaust leak/air whooshing sound anytime the cats are removed even though you dont really have a leak. Not sure if this is the sound your hearing....

I have the borla exhaust and love every bit of it, it actually got a lot quieter after the break in. I want more sound and more power, my headers are coming within a month and I'll be on the same boat. You always have the option of adding the cats from PPE, it'll reduce some of the sound which is what I am planning on doing if it becomes too loud.

From my research, catless headers will do more on this car than catback or intake would. So I am unsure how your not feeling the gains.
Old 01-19-16, 09:32 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

yeah man, i think the car just has to break it in then it'll become more quiet... happened with my sikky
Old 01-20-16, 01:50 PM
Slyryan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. It is actually growing on me so either it's "breaking in" or I am getting used to the new sound. Most likely the latter. Again, I was not expecting a big sound difference but I am now catless.
Old 01-20-16, 07:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

the catback exhaust required break in and it did get quieter because it has resonators and mufflers, not sure about a catless header requiring break in but again you do have the option of adding those cats from ppe to reduce some sound and emissions.
Old 01-20-16, 08:27 PM
Slyryan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k20trick
the catback exhaust required break in and it did get quieter because it has resonators and mufflers, not sure about a catless header requiring break in but again you do have the option of adding those cats from ppe to reduce some sound and emissions.
True! I may have to go that route but going to give it a week or two.
Old 01-20-16, 09:22 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Local DFW ISF's should meet up sometimes. would be nice to see another ISF for a change.
Old 01-20-16, 09:28 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcalvin
Local DFW ISF's should meet up sometimes. would be nice to see another ISF for a change.
There was 3 ISF at the friday meet in Plano
Old 01-21-16, 08:09 AM
Slyryan
Driver School Candidate

I'm down to meet other ISFs! I have only seen 2-3 on the road in the two years I've owned mine. Could not tell you how may before that because I never looked for them. Lol. I knew what the car was but never had my attention until I test drove one. I was actually looking for a S4 at the time and the dealership had an ISF on the lot as well. No comparison! The rest is history.
Old 01-21-16, 02:52 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by teamcalvin
yeah man, i think the car just has to break it in then it'll become more quiet... happened with my sikky
I see what you meant before about the QES. It was super tame on stock headers and I just got it back from my PPE headers being installed. It's insane, SO much louder
Old 01-21-16, 03:18 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
I see what you meant before about the QES. It was super tame on stock headers and I just got it back from my PPE headers being installed. It's insane, SO much louder
Told you man! Headers brings out the beast in the QES.

Quick Reply: Any DFW Peeps with Headers and exhaust