IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS the RC F really worth the pennies...Check out these vids

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 12:25 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I just drove a gtr and man that thing is a beast. then I got back in my ISF and it felt like a 4 cylinder Camry
Old 12-27-15, 12:35 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
I just drove a gtr and man that thing is a beast. then I got back in my ISF and it felt like a 4 cylinder Camry
Wow. I bet that was an experience
Old 12-27-15, 12:43 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

My nearby neighbor who has a SGM ISF like mine just bought a red GTR recently and just tuned and modified it at almost 600 wheel horsepower. It's on Kaizan tunings feed on Facebook it's the red GTR in the thing looks like a beast I can't wait to go for a ride
Old 12-27-15, 12:52 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

This is interesting thread it like two heavyweight fighters in one corner you have the old champ the first F car Lexus built the standard bearer the one that brought the fight to is rival's. And in the other corner you have young turk,the new kid on block he's flasher, faster, more maneuverable everyone expects him to utterly destroy the old veteran but it turns out to be much closer fight than everyone excpexcted.

I drove RCF and found it to have better steering feel, better chasis feel, faster in straight line and great interior. But here's the thing it wasn't this massive improvement that I was expecting.

Now let me first state that my 2011 ISF has been modded with I/H/E, FiGS LCA, Swift Springs so its not stock to stock comparison. I'm coming from different prospective, to be fair with my obdervations. But I will say this you can feel differences between the two.

Just my opinion but I think reason so many ISF owner have not jump to RCF comes down to expectation. Everyone wanted and hoped for this lighter weight, high HP & Tq, fully adjustable suspension, multiple track and street setup version of ISF, a true sports coupe that would be more track focused vehicle. Lexus decided to go in different direction and build the RCF.

Stock for stock these two cars are very close performance wise with edge going to RCF. But it's that closeness in performance, expectations of many ISF owners. Look how well modded ISF are able to compete against RCF, with I/H/E , suspension work, and right set of tires. . Sales number bore this out as well there not selling as well as expected. RCF is also suffering form same curse of ISF bad press.

In my opinion RCF is great GT car it does exactly what it was built to do. It's our expectation that have not been ment. LEXUS had the opportunity to even the playing field but instead chose easy path. They could have and should have built 3600 to 3700lb car with 500hp & 450plus tq, with Magnetic Ride fully adjustable, suspension, several track setting, with new chasis, with precised steering, a car that over steers more than it under steers, with DCT tranny. The RCF should have been hard edge track focused car and GSF GT car.

Last edited by Weapon F; 12-27-15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 01:10 PM
mmartin061
banned

[QUOTE=AshyAnklez;9300250]I did not even know this video was out. Drag Race Between BMW M4 & Lexus RC-F (1/3) - Fifth Gear - YouTube
It looks like the RCF held its ground.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
thats like asking me about miles per gallon doesn't really concern me. i dont shop for reliability when purchasing my cars since they are usually newer with low miles and a warranty.

So then why buy an IS F. You could have gotten an M3 with warranty. How many warranty claims would you have to make with another brand? I am not sure. But to say reliability is no concern. I have German blood flowing through my vains (VW, Audi, and M3). The night before I purchased the IS F I jumped on both forums for M3 and IS F. Reliability was the deciding factor for me to purchase IS F. I am just now really starting to let go of the German Idealogy . Again why not buy an M3 sedan? Because the E90 was better as far as performance, but not on gas and sure as hell not reliability. Oh yeah warranty on Lexus is better as well. In 2013 M3 reduce coverage from 6yrs/100 to 5years/75k. My 2010 IS F has better warranty than a 2013 M3. BMW don't even believe in their product. And let me tell you this if it were not for the $4400 SMG issue I had on E46 M3. I would not be in my reliable saloon... I can remember my cousin who knows a lot more about cars mention the IS F to me and I would laugh and tell him **** the Japs M3 till I die. I am still alive bro. This was the whole point in starting this thread because I am not in love with my IS F. I only brought the car because it made sense too, oh yeah RELIABLE too. The RC F however was eye catching, a coupe, and had some nice features (M4 blows it out of the water when it comes to features) and was looking at possibly upgrading to it. That is when I stumble on to that video that I started the thread with. I thought to myself IS F can run with RC-F like that. But since then I am glad some RC F owners spoke of their experiences about the RC F

Old 12-27-15, 01:11 PM
mmartin061
banned

[QUOTE=AshyAnklez;9300250]I did not even know this video was out. Drag Race Between BMW M4 & Lexus RC-F (1/3) - Fifth Gear - YouTube
It looks like the RCF held its ground.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
thats like asking me about miles per gallon doesn't really concern me. i dont shop for reliability when purchasing my cars since they are usually newer with low miles and a warranty.

So then why buy an IS F. You could have gotten an M3 with warranty. How many warranty claims would you have to make with another brand? I am not sure. But to say reliability is no concern. I have German blood flowing through my vains (VW, Audi, and M3). The night before I purchased the IS F I jumped on both forums for M3 and IS F. Reliability was the deciding factor for me to purchase IS F. I am just now really starting to let go of the German Idealogy . Again why not buy an M3 sedan? Because the E90 was better as far as performance, but not on gas and sure as hell not reliability. Oh yeah warranty on Lexus is better as well. In 2013 M3 reduce coverage from 6yrs/100 to 5years/75k. My 2010 IS F has better warranty than a 2013 M3. BMW don't even believe in their product. And let me tell you this if it were not for the $4400 SMG issue I had on E46 M3. I would not be in my reliable saloon... I can remember my cousin who knows a lot more about cars mention the IS F to me and I would laugh and tell him **** the Japs M3 till I die. I am still alive bro. This was the whole point in starting this thread because I am not in love with my IS F. I only brought the car because it made sense too, oh yeah RELIABLE too. The RC F however was eye catching, a coupe, and had some nice features (M4 blows it out of the water when it comes to features) and was looking at possibly upgrading to it. That is when I stumble on to that video that I started the thread with. I thought to myself IS F can run with RC-F like that. But since then I am glad some RC F owners spoke of their experiences about the RC F

That looks like an RCF going around the track and an ISF sitting on the side of the track no M4 am I missing something?
Old 12-27-15, 01:38 PM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
At higher speeds, Lexus RCF is indeed much quicker. That is mostly because of the top rpm heavier powerband of the RCF.

For example, in German tests the RCF consistently puts down significantly quicker 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph) acceleration times. RCF was also much quicker than the Mustang GT 5.0.

Lexus ISF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 16.6 seconds

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/10/19/au...-vs-alpina-b3/

Lexus ISF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 17.8 seconds

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/merce...t-3916204.html

Lexus ISF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 16.3 seconds

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/v8-sp...t-2612031.html

Lexus RCF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 15.4 seconds

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/ford-...t-5706398.html

Lexus RCF 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph): 15.1 seconds

http://www.germancarforum.com/thread...era-gts.52957/
Hey RollaXRS,

I wonder why all those test numbers that showed the RCF being quicker are all NON-US spec RCF's. I wonder if the US RCF's are slower somehow because pretty much all US publication tests shows the IS-F as being the quicker car.

If you're basing your purchase decision on which one is faster, the IS-F has done 11.8 in the 1/4 and has trapped over 120 MPH with the only power mods being full exhaust. Add in Nitrous and it has gone 11.1 at near 130MPH.

When an RCF lays down better numbers...come back and talk.
Old 12-27-15, 03:03 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by DanISFast
Hey RollaXRS,

I wonder why all those test numbers that showed the RCF being quicker are all NON-US spec RCF's. I wonder if the US RCF's are slower somehow because pretty much all US publication tests shows the IS-F as being the quicker car.

If you're basing your purchase decision on which one is faster, the IS-F has done 11.8 in the 1/4 and has trapped over 120 MPH with the only power mods being full exhaust. Add in Nitrous and it has gone 11.1 at near 130MPH.

All these pass were done with I/H/E drag radios only
Caymandive
1/4 mile 11.91 @120.58
1/4 mile 11.87 @119.87
Toothdoc
1/4 mile 11.96 @116.97
Cole
1/4 mile 11.958@121.460
1/4 mile 11.914@ 120.580

And several others in 12's just few
1/4 miles Gymkate 12.091
1/4 miles Lmclll 12.197
1/4 miles saleh 12.281
1/4 miles Cole 12.090
1/4 miles sai 12.261
Old 12-27-15, 04:01 PM
Weapon F

Hey RollaXRS,

These are the only two official 1/4 times I've found for RCF so far one on Drag Times another from You tube

12.7 1/4mil Dragtimes- Driver Rat
IS the RC F really worth the pennies...Check out these vids-screenshot_2015-12-27-18-22-11-1.png

12.8 1/4mil YouTube- Driver RC500
IS the RC F really worth the pennies...Check out these vids-screenshot_2015-12-27-18-31-14-1.png

Last edited by Weapon F; 12-27-15 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 07:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Hey RollaXRS,

I am not basing it on that at all. I am just putting facts out there. I would buy an RCF because I really like the interior, exterior, the engine sound with 7300 rpm redline and also the technology. That is regardless of how much quicker the RCF is.

Regarding the ISF vs RCF, European testers are the only one that do higher speed test up to 200 km/h (124 mph). None of the US testers seems to be testing the RCF beyond the 1/4 mile. It was posted to give an idea of how the higher speed acceleration is. If you have some American tester that has tested the RCF beyond the 1/4 mile, post it up then.

The RCF bone stock put down 12.5 seconds (video was posted previously) and none of the magazines have gotten close to that. You are purely basing everything on what the magazines say.

When I listen to people who have owned both cars (ISF and RCF), the chief engineer himself repeatedly has stated RCF is the quicker car, what the European tests consistently show, the head to head races, I guess they all are liars then.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-27-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 07:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Weapon F
These are the only two official 1/4 times I've found for RCF so far one on Drag Times another from You tube

12.7 1/4mil Dragtimes- Driver Rat
Attachment 376657

12.8 1/4mil YouTube- Driver RC500
Attachment 376658
Look through this thread. Stock RCF 12.5 seconds 1/4 mile pass was posted (E.Kanoo racing).
Old 12-27-15, 07:30 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I am not basing it on that at all. I am just putting facts out there. I would buy an RCF because I really like the interior, exterior, the engine sound with 7300 rpm redline and also the technology. That is regardless of how much quicker the RCF is.

Regarding the ISF vs RCF, European testers are the only one that do higher speed test up to 200 km/h (124 mph). None of the US testers seems to be testing the RCF beyond the 1/4 mile. It was posted to give an idea of how the higher speed acceleration is. If you have some American tester that has tested the RCF beyond the 1/4 mile, post it up then.

The RCF bone stock put down 12.5 seconds (video was posted previously) and none of the magazines have gotten close to that. You are purely basing everything on what the magazines say.

When I listen to people who have owned both cars (ISF and RCF), the chief engineer himself repeatedly has stated RCF is the quicker car, what the European tests consistently show, the head to head races, I guess they all are liars then.
1 video vs every expert magazine.....
Old 12-27-15, 07:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrisp1
1 video vs every expert magazine.....
There is no head-to-head on any magazine. Which expert are you talking about that did a head-to-head comparo? ISF is an incredible car in its own right that has done wonders for the Lexus brand. No doubt, but my opinion is of RCF being an incremental improvement (not a revolution, but an evolution).

These were the videos that were posted previously about head to head races. RCF is quicker than the ISF when comparing apples to apples in more than one video posted below. That is where I would leave it that.

ISF (Exhaust/Sikky Headers) vs RCF (exhaust only)

Stock RCF vs ISF (Exhaust)

Stock drag race at 1:09

E.Kanoo's bone stock RCF 12.5

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-27-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 12:06 AM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Agree with CodyJames and 05RollaXRS. Stock to stock, the RC-F does everything better than the IS-F. Even when stock, the RC-F has a slight edge in acceleration over lightly modded IS-Fs. I, personally, prefer the IS-F over the RC-F, since I already own four 2-door cars but an RC-F with the torque vectoring LSD is tough to beat. It's circuit track times virtually match that of the M4, with a much more pleasant driving experience, IMO. Plus, it's easier to extract that performance in the RC-F from most reports I've read

Lexus should be ashamed of the OEM exhaust on the RC-F. From the looks of it, it has to be strangling the performance of the motor. With a proper exhaust and nothing else, it would not surprise me if the motor put out close to 500 bhp. My brother's neighbor has both cars (IS-F is wifey's DD). I've spoken with him extensively on this topic and his comments match CodyJames', almost word for word FWIW.

Ken.
Old 12-28-15, 12:37 AM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

I really hope you're not trying to push this video off as a legitimate race between the ISF and RCF.

If you listen to the cars, there were 2 gear changes, end of 3rd will put these cars at around 95 mph-ish....when they should be trapping 113-114 in the 1/4. That just shows that when the cars passed the camera man, they were far from a finishing a quarter mile.

So what you're trying to prove is that even when Car and Driver tested the ISF, they got 0-60 in 4.2 and 1/4 mile in 12.7 and the RCF got 0-60 in 4.3 and 1/4 in 12.8... SOMEHOW magically on the street the mighty RCF with unicorn powder in its gas tank will put 6-7 car lengths on an ISF even before the 1/4 mile is over..... yeah...that makes sense.

The ISF simply blew the launch, case closed.

Quick Reply: IS the RC F really worth the pennies...Check out these vids