IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How about a CTS V-sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-15, 03:02 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Default How about a CTS V-sport

Test drove a CTS V-sport today and I really liked it. This is the twin turbo v-6. Its got about 420HP, I believe. Anyway there's lots of things I like about this car more than the F but the real kicker is still the reliabilitiy factor. The CTS seems to have a bit better throttle response and maybe acceleration. It's got way more gadgets than the F and it is newer (2014) with only 3K miles. My F is 2012 with and 25K. I bet I could get it at very close to an even trade. The F is a bit more unique but there are not too many V-sports around here either. I have always been a V8 guy and I am a but leery about long term reliability of the turbos. I think if I new the car would give me trouble free service for say 7-8 years I would seriously consider it.

What are your opinions?
Old 08-08-15, 03:07 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

From my experiences of owning older turbo cars....its ok in reliability if you keep it STOCK. Once you start modifying it, prepare for issues to come.
Old 08-08-15, 04:34 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
Test drove a CTS V-sport today and I really liked it. This is the twin turbo v-6. Its got about 420HP, I believe. Anyway there's lots of things I like about this car more than the F but the real kicker is still the reliabilitiy factor. The CTS seems to have a bit better throttle response and maybe acceleration. It's got way more gadgets than the F and it is newer (2014) with only 3K miles. My F is 2012 with and 25K. I bet I could get it at very close to an even trade. The F is a bit more unique but there are not too many V-sports around here either. I have always been a V8 guy and I am a but leery about long term reliability of the turbos. I think if I new the car would give me trouble free service for say 7-8 years I would seriously consider it.

What are your opinions?
Just traded my F for a CTS-V. I absolutely love this V, 6 speed manual and 556hp(a little more now, just added exhaust and intake is next). I drove a V-Sport and it was ok but would never have traded my F for it. It's kind of funny how the V forum guys flame the V-Sports just like the IS-F guys here flame the F-Sports. If u can swing it get the new ATS-V or find a nice CPO CTS-V and then u won't worry if something breaks. My 2012 V is CPO till summer of 2018 so if something goes wrong I'm covered.
Old 08-08-15, 04:44 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Just traded my F for a CTS-V. I absolutely love this V, 6 speed manual and 556hp(a little more now, just added exhaust and intake is next). I drove a V-Sport and it was ok but would never have traded my F for it. It's kind of funny how the V forum guys flame the V-Sports just like the IS-F guys here flame the F-Sports. If u can swing it get the new ATS-V or find a nice CPO CTS-V and then u won't worry if something breaks. My 2012 V is CPO till summer of 2018 so if something goes wrong I'm covered.
I have thought about the CTS-V but gas mileage is a bit of a deterrent. I am also questioning how much motor do I really need. I find it is getting harder and harder to drive a fast car, especially with the number of vehicles on the road today and also with so many speed traps. In the old days you could bomb down a freeway just about as fast as you want, not so much anymore. I find even with the F you can only have, like ten second thrills before you're deep into triple digits. 556hp would be an even shorter thrill. The V-sport seemed very quick and fast to me. I am sure the V would be much faster.
Old 08-08-15, 04:59 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I have thought about the CTS-V but gas mileage is a bit of a deterrent. I am also questioning how much motor do I really need. I find it is getting harder and harder to drive a fast car, especially with the number of vehicles on the road today and also with so many speed traps. In the old days you could bomb down a freeway just about as fast as you want, not so much anymore. I find even with the F you can only have, like ten second thrills before you're deep into triple digits. 556hp would be an even shorter thrill. The V-sport seemed very quick and fast to me. I am sure the V would be much faster.
Gas mileage is def not one of the attributes in the V. Manual trans gets 14 City and 19 highway if driven normally. V-Sport is a nice car but for me to leave my F it had to be something really special and to me leaving it for a V-Sport is a downgrade.
Old 08-08-15, 09:19 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ +1 on downgrade..
Old 08-08-15, 09:53 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I would say for you to get the car you want. A new car may appear to be trouble-free, and while reviews aren't completely unbiased, there have been some advancements in keeping those once unreliable cars reliable- to an extent. But if you like the car and it fits what you're looking for in a car, I'd go with your gut. The F is a very well rounded car, but it's not for everyone. The V-sport would be similar to an F-sport, and there have been some F owners who traded in for a newer F-sport. They simply don't need all the added power and performance aspect, so while it might seem like a downgrade in performance, it fit their needs better, and there's nothing wrong with that. Best of luck on the purchase if you go with the V-sport!
Old 08-09-15, 10:01 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
From my experiences of owning older turbo cars...
Older cars didn't have oil and liquid cooled turbochargers, things have changed since then. My 2004 Subaru STi was modded and ran great. The fact the IHI-VF39 stock turbo wastegate housing cracked on every STi is a different story, same as the oil pickup tube that would crack.

I would check their forums and see what people are saying. Try to find out about who makes the turbochargers, is the oil and cooling system pretty beefed up etc.

Reliability wise and the ability to mod the IS-F, I'm on the fence here, it would be tough to find another 2012 with low miles.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 08-09-15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 10:13 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I am a bit confused about what model we are talking about.

I am seeing the ATS-V with 464 bhp and 445 lbs-ft, TwinTurbo V6.

Damn, the CTS-V has 640 horsepower and 630 lbs-ft now..................if I got rid of my IS-F, I would probably aim for that.
Old 08-09-15, 11:22 AM
newgsman
Instructor

I'm talking about a 2014 CTS-V-sport. The new 2016 ATS-V is probably a better car but then again it will be $15-20K more than a used CTS-Vsport. I think if it was in the budget I would be talking about the ATS and not the CTS.

If I was 10-15 years younger I would probably go for maximum HP also but it doesn't seem to be as much of a priority any more (for me).