IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I don't understand the hype around the GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 03:58 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by abohler
Aww. I see someone is still hurt their car didn't make the fast and furious 7 cut.

Old 08-06-15, 04:22 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abohler
Sorry, not my fault I have the money to do **** like buy a gtr and dump it. I guess you're right, maybe I am not the right person for the GTR and I see why you are. Weak, loud and showy. I owned a 911 GT2 as well. So I have a pretty good gauge of what a track car should be. Overrated, overhyped. Feels like kids in highschool all over again.
It's funny, I was at the track last year and an older man in his 60's approached me and told me he preferred my car over the GTR. He said he has driven both and would choose the ISF over the GTR. I did my front brakes 2 months ago and just did them again due to excessive track use. For this reason I could never afford a GTR. A brake job at $5000 USD or $8000 CAD a pop is way over my budget. It's one thing to own the car and it's another to maintain it depending how you drive it. I've now owned the ISF 3.5 years and it's the longest I've owned any car (2 years Max). I'm sure I will own this car for a few more years at least, it's been great and problem free. If I had money to throw around, I'd have a new GT3 with 10 sets of pads, rotors and tires. Because I'm just an average guy with average income I'll stick to the ISF for now.
Old 08-06-15, 04:42 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

This thread makes no sense...mod isf vs stock gtr for american muscle?...you shouldve test drive the hell cat..have u heard about the hell cat?...gtr are not meant for straight...muscle car does...whats ur goal? Quarter mile track, then gtr is not the right car...if u track wih apex and chicane then m4, rc f or gt 3 would be ur car...
Old 08-06-15, 04:54 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The **** is going on in here, can we lock this thread
Old 08-06-15, 05:33 PM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let this guy *******, or abholer get to your heads. He is prob some broken down who is bored and trolling these threads. Either that or a trust-fund daddy's ***** born with a silver spoon in his ***.
Old 08-06-15, 08:25 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I find them to be pretty ugly myself and have a hard time spending that kind of coin for a Datsun. But I will never say that it's anything less than a beast of a vehicle. Very impressive speed for a relatively cheap sports car these days on the used market. New 90k is in ballpark range of much more desirable vehicles.

I'm a sucker for the V10 R8's. I'm spending near or over six figures for a vehicle I would likely opt that route. The sound is glorious.
Old 08-06-15, 09:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

are the moderators dead ?? Close this thread .....
Old 08-06-15, 10:47 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna get hate for this, but I thought the OP was sticking to opinions about the cars, that is until some of the folks got overly defensive and insinuated that OP made a poor decision and is not allowed to change his mind after his investment, which is personal.

It's interesting to see owners being fairly objective when it comes to the IS-F, but then for the GT-R it's suddenly OMZG Godzilla bow down ha ha. Look, there's no denying that it's a beast, but it's also not the end all of performance cars, especially not in 2015 when it's price jumped up 50% and there are other amazing options like a 981GT4, C7Z06, Z28, F-Type R just to name a few. And of course for pure straight line you have the Hellcat as well. Obviously it can be modded like crazy, but apples to apples it's no longer the bargain performance car of the century. It's also not selling well, and people don't drool over it anymore, which is expected for a 6+ year platform.

At the end of the day, car preferences are purely subjective, and there's nothing wrong with someone saying that the GT-R is overhyped, and give some credit to the OP for admitting it (From his ownership perspective). Just cuz the car is built like a video game doesn't mean it does the job for everyone.
Old 08-07-15, 01:56 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

OP. GTR is a great car on paper and that's it. One of my friends traded his GTR in for a gt3 rs and never looked back. GTR puts down great times but driving impression is overrated. Comparing it to the ISF, I would have to say on paper the GTR is better but as for being a drivers car goes...not much difference. I semi agree with you op.
Old 08-07-15, 04:23 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

I want one but I will not buy I new one if were to do some mods
Old 08-07-15, 06:28 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow....there's alot of heat going on. OP just stated his opinion. Its ok to understand why he felt that way. Not all of us will have the same view.
Old 08-07-15, 08:41 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, the OP said that he doesn't understand the hype. I think people who were explaining the "hype" in their own views just disagreed with the OP. I'm pretty sure that is what a forum is for (def - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.) If the OP wasn't seeking a discussion, then why post on a forum? Why not just declare that the GTR is overhyped? If you say you don't understand on a forum, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens next.

As for the content of the thread, it is rarely WHAT is said that upsets people, but rather how it is said. Demeaning, condescending, and derogatory language upsets people who don't behave in that way and will it likely result in a defensive response. Feel how you want, spend money wisely or unwisely, drive what you want to drive but don't belittle others in the process. I just joined this forum and I hope this response isn't commonplace.

If you ride a sportbike, don't show up at the Harley poker run and tell everyone how stupid their tassles look and that the color orange sucks. It never ends well that way...
Old 08-07-15, 09:07 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Taurus SHO ftw!
Old 08-07-15, 09:46 AM
abohler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
i'm gonna get hate for this, but i thought the op was sticking to opinions about the cars, that is until some of the folks got overly defensive and insinuated that op made a poor decision and is not allowed to change his mind after his investment, which is personal.

It's interesting to see owners being fairly objective when it comes to the is-f, but then for the gt-r it's suddenly omzg godzilla bow down ha ha. Look, there's no denying that it's a beast, but it's also not the end all of performance cars, especially not in 2015 when it's price jumped up 50% and there are other amazing options like a 981gt4, c7z06, z28, f-type r just to name a few. And of course for pure straight line you have the hellcat as well. Obviously it can be modded like crazy, but apples to apples it's no longer the bargain performance car of the century. It's also not selling well, and people don't drool over it anymore, which is expected for a 6+ year platform.

At the end of the day, car preferences are purely subjective, and there's nothing wrong with someone saying that the gt-r is overhyped, and give some credit to the op for admitting it (from his ownership perspective). Just cuz the car is built like a video game doesn't mean it does the job for everyone.
thank you!
Old 08-07-15, 11:22 AM
foxprime
Pole Position

Try the new corvette!

Quick Reply: I don't understand the hype around the GTR