IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I don't understand the hype around the GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 08:53 AM
abohler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't understand the hype around the GTR

So I've owned an ISF for a couple years, and am running around 550 wheel hp. It's pretty fun to drive with spray. I decided to go buy a 2015 GTR Black Edition and boy am I disappointed. The car is on this pedestal as "Godzilla". It is so amazing, and *****s on the ISF. Not the case. I feel like the stock GTR and my nitrous ISF are really not that far off. I was hoping for a race car that would really do something crazy. My opinion is, don't believe the hype. Speed is relative. I am selling the car after just two months and looking for a classic American muscle car instead. Why spend 90k on a GTR, when you can build a "real" race car for that or even less. Let's hear everyone else's opinions.
Attached Thumbnails I don't understand the hype around the GTR-20150702_175250-min.jpg  
Old 08-06-15, 08:58 AM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

have you tried taking a corner or two?

lol
Old 08-06-15, 08:59 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Really, it's all relative, as with many things. My IS-F is just about stock, so I may think a GT-R is great since I have not driven a car with over 500 bhp daily.

It sounds like your IS-F is just about equal to the GT-R power, so you're not really feeling much difference.

Most of the money in the GT-R is in the engine/transmission and drive-train. I remember sitting in a 2009 GT-R once and the interior was falling apart.

What kind of a muscle car are you looking to build? You should think about the RX-7 with the LS7 swap.....or maybe a 67 Camaro with an LSX swap.
Old 08-06-15, 08:59 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

It's certainly fast. It's very easy to get stupid power out of. It also has lots of traction.

Personally, I am not a fan of the looks. I also am a bigger guy and don't particularly fit in the seats. That said I won't fault anyone else for getting one. Just not my thing. I'd rather be in a C7Z or Jag F-Type at that price point. Maybe a used 911. Find something that appeals to you. Cars are emotional.
Old 08-06-15, 09:13 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by XpediencY
have you tried taking a corner or two?

lol
Yeah, I've really tried to put it to the test. Just not the car for me.
Old 08-06-15, 09:14 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Really, it's all relative, as with many things. My IS-F is just about stock, so I may think a GT-R is great since I have not driven a car with over 500 bhp daily.

It sounds like your IS-F is just about equal to the GT-R power, so you're not really feeling much difference.

Most of the money in the GT-R is in the engine/transmission and drive-train. I remember sitting in a 2009 GT-R once and the interior was falling apart.

What kind of a muscle car are you looking to build? You should think about the RX-7 with the LS7 swap.....or maybe a 67 Camaro with an LSX swap.
I am going to do a 70-72 chevelle. I found one with a 555 BBC with 930 hp. May end up in my garage soon if all goes as planned.
Old 08-06-15, 09:16 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by torxuvin
It's certainly fast. It's very easy to get stupid power out of. It also has lots of traction.

Personally, I am not a fan of the looks. I also am a bigger guy and don't particularly fit in the seats. That said I won't fault anyone else for getting one. Just not my thing. I'd rather be in a C7Z or Jag F-Type at that price point. Maybe a used 911. Find something that appeals to you. Cars are emotional.
I'll do 911's all day over the GTR. Just been really disappointed with Japanese cars as of late. Going to come back and give Merica some love. I want something that leaves really hard, high rpm two step and trans brake.
Old 08-06-15, 09:21 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get a Cobb AP, injectors and run E85 the GTR will feel like a different car.
Old 08-06-15, 09:31 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by juanmedina
if you get a Cobb AP, injectors and run E85 the GTR will feel like a different car.
Yeah, That's what I hear, but that is just another 5-10 grand on top of 90k. Where does it end? Even at 800hp, with an additional 10k in it, I can build or buy a street strip muscle car that will destroy a GTR for a fraction of the price. I also miss the rumble of a big motor. Don't get that with the GTR. To each their own, I have just realized it is not what I was looking for.
Old 08-06-15, 09:31 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

I drove a close friend's '15 GTR (he also owns an '11 ISF) last week and although it was a fun experience, I was disappointed as well. Very clunky and noisy. He said it tightened up in sport mode, but I had higher expectations based on how much people talk it up. It's, no doubt, still an amazing machine but feels more like a shotgun than a sniper rifle.
Old 08-06-15, 09:44 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abohler
Yeah, That's what I hear, but that is just another 5-10 grand on top of 90k. Where does it end? Even at 800hp, with an additional 10k in it, I can build or buy a street strip muscle car that will destroy a GTR for a fraction of the price. I also miss the rumble of a big motor. Don't get that with the GTR. To each their own, I have just realized it is not what I was looking for.
No...... injectors, tune, and AP will not cost you more than $2500 installed. The AP is $950, Sir 1000cc injectors $650, a fuel pump $150 and a tune. I agree you can built a fox body for almost nothing but it is still a fox body. I see what you are saying, in my case now that I have the IS-F I miss having a turbo and 4WD.

I will be shopping for a used GTR in the near future.
Old 08-06-15, 09:46 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmmmm......my next weekend car was going to be a c6 ZR1 or a GTR.....i may cross off GTR but i would have to test drive both. I'm still keeping my F. Its a great DD.
Old 08-06-15, 09:58 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So...... you're comparing in a straight line.. a modded ISF WITH NOS to a completely stock GTR?

BRB going to add e85 + FBO + injectors to my GTR and wonder why a Ferrari 458 for $250k feels so slow.. nah I'm just going to sell my GTR and buy a "built Honda Del Sol with a built k24 GT40R swap and beat everything for $20k"

btw, not sure how its possible for someone to convince themselves to buy a $90k car and not like it before buying it.. did you not test drive it? Sure its not the car for everyone but if you were ready to spend that much then atleast knows the ins and outs of the car and not assume that buying a GTR will make you happy.

The car makes stupid amounts of power easily, turns REALLY well compared to an ISF (thats definitely something you can't change).. so it go fast and can turn.. can't say the same for an old school muscle car.. you know what other cars that can go fast in a straight line AND be able to take corners fast??.. Super cars.
Old 08-06-15, 10:02 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Get a Supra
The drivetrain can take a lot of power and torque abuse and it's pretty easy to make big power reliably.
Old 08-06-15, 10:05 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by psixtc
I drove a close friend's '15 GTR (he also owns an '11 ISF) last week and although it was a fun experience, I was disappointed as well. Very clunky and noisy. He said it tightened up in sport mode, but I had higher expectations based on how much people talk it up. It's, no doubt, still an amazing machine but feels more like a shotgun than a sniper rifle.
Got any pics of the 40 Ford?

Quick Reply: I don't understand the hype around the GTR