IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thunderhill Raceway Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 10:08 AM
gearcase
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default S 2000

Wow nice driving Mat. great video. I have had some front rotor and pad issues , on my F and would like to upgrade in the future .
Old 11-18-15, 10:11 AM
gearcase
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I8bmr

Cool vids you have been posting, looks like your having alot of fun track time.
Old 11-18-15, 01:22 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Tammer- You are absolutely right that we do our best to adapt to what we have. It sounds like you’ve been able to do that well enough with the stock pads for now but I’m curious to see how that changes as you keep developing and possibly drive different tracks that will naturally challenge the brakes a little more . I understand where you’re coming from and what you’re trying to accomplish with the car at the moment and I’ve been there too. As I said before most people just starting to get into HPDE events with there IS-F will be just fine with the stock parts and you are proof . I think ultimately we all agree and are saying pretty much the same things. This hobby can be time consuming and/or very expensive and the first plan of attack for most is to try to get away with the bare minimum they need on track. Everyone has different priorities and to different degrees. I wholeheartedly agree that maintaining duality is important; after all that’s why you bought this type of car, right? This can be accomplished in different ways:

A) The best option is to swap back and forth between track and street pads. You can run an excellent street pad on the street and an excellent track pad on the track giving you the best of both worlds. However, it sounds like this in not an option you want to explore at the moment.
B) Run an inexpensive pad that does it all to a certain degree. This option compromises a lot on both ends of the spectrum and will need more frequent replacement as the driver. The viability of this option hinges almost entirely on the drivers ability and tracks where the car is used. Most will grow out of this option sooner or later.
C) Try to find a pad that truly does it all without compromising so much. These options are few and far between and are more often than not one of the most pad options available. Mostly speaking of Endless MX72 and MXRS here but another less expensive option will be available shortly. This will more than likely be the next step for you and many others in the same boat.

I know other venders on here have been bashing Endless a little because of the price but the Endless MX72 and MXRS are the absolute best pads you can use for a dual duty car that don’t sacrifice on the street manners and we choose to support them for the people like you who don’t have the time, tools or whatever else to be constantly swapping pads but still want the civility on the street and race pad like performance on the track. If they were less expensive I don’t doubt almost everyone would use them. We’ve tried to bully them to be more reasonable with the price (especially on the front axle of these cars) but they wont budge.

Haha thank you for the kind words! I can assure you the brakes get a thorough workout on that car even on that track even if it doesn’t look like it on video Yeah not much body roll either, I’ve messed with the roll center, sways, and test different dampers and spring rates pretty often on the S2000.

Ev- Thank you for your service! I hope you are able to get back out there soon! Yes your car should be fine to take out as-is unless you have old, crappy fluid and the stock pads don’t have too much friction material left. As it’s been mentioned earlier the IS-F has a pretty good braking system from the factory and thunderhill isn’t too terribly hard on brakes. I priamarily instruct with NCRC and Speed SF so hopefully you can make it out to one of those events. It would give me the opportunity to see what your brakes are doing in person and give us the chance to chat as well as possibly do some ride-alongs or lead follows.

Gearcase- We can certainly help you out on the upgrade whenever you're ready. Thank you! I do go to the track quite a bit First and foremost I'm truly passionate about cars, driving and continuing to learn about anything related to both things. Also a large portion of my job is consulting with people ranging from your average guy looking to have some fun on the street to club racer and semi-professional caliber drivers and I think it's important to a solid understanding of what I'm talking about. Since we focus primarily on brake related items I test *a lot* of different brake pads from pretty much all brands (even brands we don't have a direct relationship with) and this requires a lot of track time but is partially what I believe helps us differentiate form other venders. I spend a lot of time on a lot of different forums and am often baffled at some of the recommendations I see some vendors making

-Matt M.
Old 11-18-15, 07:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gearcase
Cool vids you have been posting, looks like your having alot of fun track time.
Thanks so much !! Its a lot of fun. I have decided to stop running the summer sessions unless I get a an oil cooler. I have had the oil temp warning light come on and that is no bueno. I need an RR Racing oil cooler or I will just be jonesing in the Summer

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Tammer- You are absolutely right that we do our best to adapt to what we have. It sounds like you’ve been able to do that well enough with the stock pads for now but I’m curious to see how that changes as you keep developing and possibly drive different tracks that will naturally challenge the brakes a little more . I understand where you’re coming from and what you’re trying to accomplish with the car at the moment and I’ve been there too. As I said before most people just starting to get into HPDE events with there IS-F will be just fine with the stock parts and you are proof . I think ultimately we all agree and are saying pretty much the same things. This hobby can be time consuming and/or very expensive and the first plan of attack for most is to try to get away with the bare minimum they need on track. Everyone has different priorities and to different degrees. I wholeheartedly agree that maintaining duality is important; after all that’s why you bought this type of car, right? This can be accomplished in different ways:

A) The best option is to swap back and forth between track and street pads. You can run an excellent street pad on the street and an excellent track pad on the track giving you the best of both worlds. However, it sounds like this in not an option you want to explore at the moment.
B) Run an inexpensive pad that does it all to a certain degree. This option compromises a lot on both ends of the spectrum and will need more frequent replacement as the driver. The viability of this option hinges almost entirely on the drivers ability and tracks where the car is used. Most will grow out of this option sooner or later.
C) Try to find a pad that truly does it all without compromising so much. These options are few and far between and are more often than not one of the most pad options available. Mostly speaking of Endless MX72 and MXRS here but another less expensive option will be available shortly. This will more than likely be the next step for you and many others in the same boat.

I know other venders on here have been bashing Endless a little because of the price but the Endless MX72 and MXRS are the absolute best pads you can use for a dual duty car that don’t sacrifice on the street manners and we choose to support them for the people like you who don’t have the time, tools or whatever else to be constantly swapping pads but still want the civility on the street and race pad like performance on the track. If they were less expensive I don’t doubt almost everyone would use them. We’ve tried to bully them to be more reasonable with the price (especially on the front axle of these cars) but they wont budge.

Haha thank you for the kind words! I can assure you the brakes get a thorough workout on that car even on that track even if it doesn’t look like it on video Yeah not much body roll either, I’ve messed with the roll center, sways, and test different dampers and spring rates pretty often on the S2000.

Ev- Thank you for your service! I hope you are able to get back out there soon! Yes your car should be fine to take out as-is unless you have old, crappy fluid and the stock pads don’t have too much friction material left. As it’s been mentioned earlier the IS-F has a pretty good braking system from the factory and thunderhill isn’t too terribly hard on brakes. I priamarily instruct with NCRC and Speed SF so hopefully you can make it out to one of those events. It would give me the opportunity to see what your brakes are doing in person and give us the chance to chat as well as possibly do some ride-alongs or lead follows.

Gearcase- We can certainly help you out on the upgrade whenever you're ready. Thank you! I do go to the track quite a bit First and foremost I'm truly passionate about cars, driving and continuing to learn about anything related to both things. Also a large portion of my job is consulting with people ranging from your average guy looking to have some fun on the street to club racer and semi-professional caliber drivers and I think it's important to a solid understanding of what I'm talking about. Since we focus primarily on brake related items I test *a lot* of different brake pads from pretty much all brands (even brands we don't have a direct relationship with) and this requires a lot of track time but is partially what I believe helps us differentiate form other venders. I spend a lot of time on a lot of different forums and am often baffled at some of the recommendations I see some vendors making

-Matt M.
Matt, thanks so much bro. I appreciate the heads up on the Endless pads. I am willing to pay to play. I just dont want to compromise of road civility. I want them to bite when cold and I want them silent. Squeaky brakes drives me INSANE !! I am running a new track next week and will be using a drag strip as the back straight so braking speeds will be a bit higher. I will check her out. I will contact you on the next round of pads. Im sure it will be sooner than later.

Thanks , and keep it up on the track !! That video was awesome !! My wife watched it with me and was like, DAMN !! I think this dude has driven this track before . LOL Very impressive
Old 11-19-15, 11:53 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Matt, thanks so much bro. I appreciate the heads up on the Endless pads. I am willing to pay to play. I just dont want to compromise of road civility. I want them to bite when cold and I want them silent. Squeaky brakes drives me INSANE !! I am running a new track next week and will be using a drag strip as the back straight so braking speeds will be a bit higher. I will check her out. I will contact you on the next round of pads. Im sure it will be sooner than later.

Thanks , and keep it up on the track !! That video was awesome !! My wife watched it with me and was like, DAMN !! I think this dude has driven this track before . LOL Very impressive
Of course! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for an update after your event at the new track! We've had a lot of success with the MX72 for occasional track work when noise and dust on the street is a concern. The MXRS is the newest hybrid pad from Endless. It's a derivative of the MX72 and it was designed with the same goal in mind but is a little more aggressive and works even better at higher temps at the cost of a little more dust on the street. I recently bought a set of MXRS to try on my other vehicle and so far they haven't made a peep Sounds good, feel free to give me a call or send me a PM, we've got a few options to discuss when you're ready

Haha yeah it's safe to say those weren't my first two laps at Thunderhill Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing more video from you as well!

-Matt M.
Old 11-21-15, 07:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Watched the Thunderhill video again and I like it. I really don't think the oem system would have any issues there. The speeds are not extremely high. I think the IS-F would hate the tight transitions there more than the braking.

Still amazed by the lack of roll on that s2k. Crazy