IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Kind of Off topic (front plate options)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 10:11 AM
Isflamez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of Off topic (front plate options)

SO i am moving to south jersey this saturday. been in pa my whole life. moving to be closer to work. In the state of NJ they require you to have a rear and front license plate on your vehicle. Now i refuse to put a front license plate on my ISF! Im just not ok with drilling holes in my front bumper. its gonna look so ugly knowing jersey has the worst looking plates. I hope there is something i can do to get around this. Now i figure ppl are going to say then dont move to jersey. Well thats out of the question. I am only getting a 12 month lease at my apartment so what if i decide to move back to pa next year. am i just stuck with 2 holes in my front bumper? Apparently if i kept my car on pa registration and pa insurance its considered fraud. People do it to say money but me i could care less about the money I just dont want jersey plates. IF there is no way around this hopefully i can just zip tie the plate to my lower grille. but no way in hell im drilling holes in my bumper.
Old 03-17-15, 10:24 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a hideaway plate like this

Old 03-17-15, 10:32 AM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

I would not register your car in NJ then. Or hold off as long as possible. I live in VA and they require a front license plate. I do not abide by this rule I could careless screw em. VA is a pretty strict state and I have not had an issue in 4 years owning the car. Even after being pulled over for speeding, the cops have never mentioned anything about my front plate. But when I go to DC. They require you to have a front license plate displayed at all times. Yet again no issue. Except for when I park my car on a curb for metered parking I will place my front license plate in the mirror. So technically it is "displaying front tags" this avoid getting any tickets from cops that see your car parked up without front tags. That's just my 2 cents....Maybe I have bad mentality but I have had no issues.
Old 03-17-15, 10:35 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Isflamez
SO i am moving to south jersey this saturday. been in pa my whole life. moving to be closer to work. In the state of NJ they require you to have a rear and front license plate on your vehicle. Now i refuse to put a front license plate on my ISF! Im just not ok with drilling holes in my front bumper. its gonna look so ugly knowing jersey has the worst looking plates. I hope there is something i can do to get around this. Now i figure ppl are going to say then dont move to jersey. Well thats out of the question. I am only getting a 12 month lease at my apartment so what if i decide to move back to pa next year. am i just stuck with 2 holes in my front bumper? Apparently if i kept my car on pa registration and pa insurance its considered fraud. People do it to say money but me i could care less about the money I just dont want jersey plates. IF there is no way around this hopefully i can just zip tie the plate to my lower grille. but no way in hell im drilling holes in my bumper.
Why not just buy a plate relocator bracket for the tow hook. Its ugly as well, but at least you can reverse it.

Pull off tow hook cover
Thread in plate relocator bracket
Done
Old 03-17-15, 11:03 AM
Isflamez
Rookie

hmm, that hideaway plate is pretty cool. the relocator bracket isnt that bad either. I just also thought about sticking the plate in the passenger corner of my windshield. as long as its visible from the front it shouldnt matter where it is.
Old 03-17-15, 11:23 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Isflamez
hmm, that hideaway plate is pretty cool. the relocator bracket isnt that bad either. I just also thought about sticking the plate in the passenger corner of my windshield. as long as its visible from the front it shouldnt matter where it is.
that's not going to work out. some area cops are really picky and not going to pass NJ car inspection. I have tried the relocator as well, but the stud is kinda short and made the plate rubbed the bumper, there are ways to extend it, but it's a hassel. I'll just get plugs and paint them with touch up paint to cover the holes when a front plate is no longer required.
Old 03-17-15, 11:56 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ended up with the same dilemma and got the tow-hook kit. It was easy to install, hasn't caused any issues, and makes me feel relieved when passing cops that I have a front plate.
Old 03-17-15, 12:57 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

My car was registered in PA before I bought it from a NJ Lexus dealer. Since there were no holes drilled I never installed my front plate. I have not had an issue with the police...yet.
Old 04-13-15, 05:50 AM
xianxian
Driver

Grimmspeed for sure! High Quality Parts! Customer Service was beyond outstanding! its not worth getting the ticket, the ticket in the NJ area is just as much as the mount....
Old 04-13-15, 07:29 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...te-set-up.html