Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F (2008-2014)
Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button >

Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button

Notices
IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button

Old 02-21-15, 09:15 AM
Quadrphnia
Lead Lap

Golfer2000 - thanks a million for the diagrams.
I'm all over this come Spring. I put the word out to my fellow elec buddies for assistance / supervision.
Old 02-22-15, 05:37 PM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia View Post
Golfer2000 - thanks a million for the diagrams.
I'm all over this come Spring. I put the word out to my fellow elec buddies for assistance / supervision.
Not a problem hopefully someone can figure it out sooner than later. The car has only been out for 7 years lol
Old 02-22-15, 08:51 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Golfer2000 View Post
I'd assume the way to do it would be to take the J24-5 (AU2) wire, cut it so that it isn't changing the inputs and then tap it into the J36-6 wire. Again this may be all wrong but that's what I came up. Let me know what you guys think.
That will work, BUT the VOICE and HOOK On/Off Switch buttons are tapped in to AU2 also. Meaning you will lose the VOICE and Hook On/Off buttons.
But what do I know, I only have a degree in the electronics field.
Attached Thumbnails Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button-au2_mode_voice_hook_switch.jpg  
Old 02-23-15, 07:06 PM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR View Post
That will work, BUT the VOICE and HOOK On/Off Switch buttons are tapped in to AU2 also. Meaning you will lose the VOICE and Hook On/Off buttons.
But what do I know, I only have a degree in the electronics field.
Well that makes you light years more qualified than me. tell us how to do it
Old 02-24-15, 10:53 AM
rmillsISF
Driver

Biggest problem I see is you have 1 wire functioning for multiple switches. If you splice this in you're going to lose functionality to other switches. I don't see an easy wiring work-around. I could be wrong
Old 02-24-15, 12:10 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Golfer2000 View Post
Well that makes you light years more qualified than me. tell us how to do it
I already explained how I would do it on the previous page.

Originally Posted by rmillsISF View Post
Biggest problem I see is you have 1 wire functioning for multiple switches. If you splice this in you're going to lose functionality to other switches. I don't see an easy wiring work-around. I could be wrong
Not correct. Yes in that one wire(AU2) runs up to the steering wheel controller switches, BUT from there splits in to the 4 switches(MODE, Hook On, Hook Off, and Voice). How I would do this is access the MODE switch itself, and cut that wire leading to it(the other 3 switches would still work). This is going by the documents posted, I would still have to crack the units open to actually see and be positive. And to be honest, I really don't care to have MODE switch set to Sport mode, so I doubt I will even take my steering wheel and dash apart. But if anyone else manages to experiment on their car and post photos, I'm willing to help or give advice.
Old 12-07-18, 10:04 AM
viprez586
Driver

thread bump,
So this is all great on paper, and looks like it will work.

Has anyone successfully done so?
Old 12-11-18, 09:16 PM
Joker4096
Lexus Test Driver

I'm tempted to try to tackle this when I have time.
Old 12-11-18, 09:23 PM
viprez586
Driver

I'm looking into remote start options since I got the major hookup on wiring locations from an installer.(saves me so much time researching every friggin wire)
while I'm doing that I'll look into modifying Pins as well.
Old 12-14-18, 06:33 AM
Rickna
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kyle4207 View Post
I've successfully done the button swap and it's pretty easy after studying the wiring diagrams. I just haven't had time to do the write up. I've put in the 2013 steering wheel buttons into my 2010, using the factory wire harness I tapped into the factory wire harness after the spiral wiire connector in the steering column. Essentially you use the circuit that is there for the radar cruise control. If you have that option you shouldn't rewire it.

I tapped into the harness where the radar cruise control ECU would have been plugged into, then ran a wire over to the Sport button and tapped in there. This maintains the functionality of the stock button as well.

I don't have much time but will try to write something up in the next couple of months and post it.
Based on your solution I will be doing the same. I have ordered 2013 buttons from megazip (less than $200). Thank you for the inspiration!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reassign Steering Wheel "Mode" Button

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: