IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Theft attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 07:23 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Theft attempt.

I am in the midst a home construction project and the F has been forced to sleep in my driveway for the last month - instead of in the garage. I live in a quiet suburban street, and we have never had any issues with theft or suspicious activity.

I awoke this morning at 1:30am, looked out my bedroom window (which looks down upon my driveway) to find a dude apparently trying to steal my front and rear bumper and side skirts. I initially thought he was going after my wheels. Called the cops and they arrived within 2 minutes of my call...the guy ran for it 10-20 seconds before the first car got on scene.

Long story short, since no one is out at 1am in my town, cops set up a parameter around my neighborhood and went backyard to backyard in search of this clown. They found his shirt, hat and tools (which included binoculars?) in a neighbors garbage can and eventually found him walking casually ourt of someones backyard 1.5 blocks away.

When confronted, he said he was looking to "relieve himself" in someone's yard before walking to his car. Cops said he was from a town about 40 minutes south of me and has a long record of theft and burglary.

They never found his get away vehicle, he must have had someone helping him. No way he can carry 2 bumpers and side skirts for any significant distance without getting noticed.

Pics of the damage - overall not bad, no scratches or dents. I just need to get some new bumper clips and a screw or 2.

Keep you F's safe!

Theft attempt.-img_20140529_065624.jpg

Theft attempt.-img_20140529_065629.jpg

Theft attempt.-img_20140529_065634.jpg
Old 05-29-14, 07:34 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that sucks. My dad was a cop in the 70s and 80s before the days of criminal's rights and cell phone cameras. When he and his guys would arrest low life thieves like this guy they would usually give him a few "beauty marks" before taking him in. Wish it were still like that today.
Old 05-29-14, 07:38 AM
goukie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, at lease he didn't scratch up the paint. But he will be back on the streets before long and doing this to other car or someone else’s belongings.
Old 05-29-14, 07:47 AM
Clownshoes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should have shot him. When you went out to confront him and had your gun, he used his hammer/screw driver/whatever to attack you.

You had no choice to defend yourself and protect your family.
Old 05-29-14, 07:59 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wow sorry to hear about it and since your local I'll make sure my car is being monitored closely now.
Old 05-29-14, 08:04 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clownshoes
should have shot him. When you went out to confront him and had your gun, he used his hammer/screw driver/whatever to attack you.

Awesome
Old 05-29-14, 08:07 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

I would have casually walked up on him with my loaded pistol...Glad the damage is minimal.
Old 05-29-14, 08:11 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that and at least the damage was not bad...time to move the "F" back in the garage!

I am afraid if I saw that I would think I would have ran out there (gun or not) and beat the crap out of the dude but you were smart to call the Law and hopefully he will go tell his other scumbag buddies to stay out of your neighborhood.
Old 05-29-14, 08:13 AM
Vervish
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
wow sorry to hear about it and since your local I'll make sure my car is being monitored closely now.
Thanks.

I thought about your car too..keep it safe. I am pretty disappointed that my car is out of the garage for 30 days and it has already been targeted. I hate to admit it, but I would not be surprised if one of the many contractors and delivery people in and out of my house lately may have tipped someone off of the car sitting out at night. It is sad.
Old 05-29-14, 08:24 AM
Vervish
Racer

Thanks for the love guys.

Surprisingly, I stayed pretty calm the entire time. Especially with my wife and 2 young kids at home.

I had no way of sneaking up on the guy for some vigilante justice and I am pretty sure he would have bolted if I came out the front door or if I opened the garage doors. I didn't want to spook him at all, I wanted him caught...

Great news is there is really no body or paint damage that I could see..it turned out as good as it could have, short of me attempting to cut his hands off.
Old 05-29-14, 09:07 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Wow this really sucks men. Thankfully you got him on the spot. I would've try to shoot him, but you reacted cool and got the police to grab him.
Old 05-29-14, 09:23 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did the right thing! i too parked my F outside everday, now you got me worry!
Old 05-29-14, 09:31 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear that happened to you buddy ! I' m glad when solve the problem with no gun.
Old 05-29-14, 10:37 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow! Thank goodness nothing further occurred. Thieves shouldn't be able to get away with most of the stuff on our cars in a short amount of time they have to take apart the car. If it happens, I'd love to catch the scum, like you did, red handed and in the act. Relieving himself...we'll see how he likes relieving himself among his cell mates, if it gets to that point. Keep those cars safe, guys! People these days...
Old 05-29-14, 10:58 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Clownshoes

Would have worked in Texas.

Quick Reply: Theft attempt.