IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE header & CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 02:53 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by awkkwrd
For mine, water got into the connector for the O2 sensor and it corroded blablalbaa we cleaned it at a bit and it came back on after i started the car a second time after resetting ecu. I'm guessing the O2 is ruined now so i ordered a new one. I'm not mechanically inclined so that's my uneducated description lol.
It is possible that the O2 sensor extensions we get are not sealing as well as the factory connectors. They do have the red silicone wire seals. Putting a small amount of dielectric grease on the terminals can help make a better connection and keep them from corroding. If you need another wiring extension, let me know.
Old 03-20-14, 02:55 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
p2241 Low pumping something... bank 2 sensor 1
The two causes for that code are a bad sensor or a short in the wiring. I can send you a new wiring extension to try out. Email me your address and I will send you one.

sales@ppeengineering.com
Old 03-20-14, 02:57 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Anyone else with a light on, please email me the code and I will help you figure out the issue. I am not able to be on the forum all the time, so email would be the fastest way to get your problem fixed.

sales@ppeengineering.com
Old 03-20-14, 03:37 PM
JM51526
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
It is possible that the O2 sensor extensions we get are not sealing as well as the factory connectors. They do have the red silicone wire seals. Putting a small amount of dielectric grease on the terminals can help make a better connection and keep them from corroding. If you need another wiring extension, let me know.
The two causes for that code are a bad sensor or a short in the wiring. I can send you a new wiring extension to try out. Email me your address and I will send you one.

sales@ppeengineering.com
Anyone else with a light on, please email me the code and I will help you figure out the issue. I am not able to be on the forum all the time, so email would be the fastest way to get your problem fixed.

sales@ppeengineering.com
Now THAT'S what I call service. Bravo, Sir!
Old 03-20-14, 04:11 PM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Two thumbs up to PPE
Old 03-20-14, 05:02 PM
quarius
Pole Position

sales@ppeengineering.com
LOL wish I emailed you guys when my extension melted to the headers a few months back. Found and fixed the problem myself but good to know for future info
Old 03-20-14, 05:28 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks PPE for being here. I tried another AF sensor and this time the code hasn't come back yet. Once again, these are old sensors from my original headers. Next time this happens, I'm going to order new ones and replace it with a new one. It's possible I replaced a bad one with another bad one that used to be good. Just my luck. LOL
Old 03-20-14, 06:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Have you guys tired to add a bit more protection to the A/F sensors wires in the areas that might experience contact..??

Something like this.. High Heat resistant material

Just a thought..

~ Joe Z
Old 03-20-14, 07:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts
Default For the hard core techies...

I've always wondered how the four wire planar O2 sensors work. I am very familiar with the 5 wire designs as I was involved with the DIY-EFI wideband project. This means I know what a Nernst cell does and how a wideband O2 with 5 wires measures actual A/F ratios and why two and four wire thimble O2 sensors do not.

I found a piece on this little bit of technology. It's an interesting read if you want to know how Denso came up with a four wire wideband A/F sensor that outperforms the five wire devices. I've attached the paper. Don't bother opening it unless you are pretty determined to get through it...

Of greatest interest to me is the closing paragraph in the paper -
Originally Posted by Dissertation 5-i
CONCLUSION
By joining the alumina heater and zirconia sensor elements directly and adopting a newly developed structure for the diffusion resistance layer, we have developed a single-cell limited-current type planar A/F sensor that attains fast light-off time (10 seconds) and high detection accuracy over a wide A/F range. This sensor enables precision A/F control for vehicle emission control system in compliance with future emission regulations, which are likely to become increasingly stringent.
Since a hydrocarbon detection sensor called a HC sensor and a nitrogen oxide detection sensor called a NOx sensor, which will come into practical use in the near future, are also of the limited-current type, the diffusion resistance control technique developed for the planar A/F sensor will be applied to those sensors.
What I'm seeing here is, the manufacturers are going to be installing NOx and HC monitors on cars sometime in the future. This will make tuning MUCH more difficult unless 5 gas analyzers get cheap and easily available. Even then, it will take tuning to a much higher level of minimum expertise. Wow. Pretty unlikely aftermarket headers or running catless will not be noticed by these detection devices, and no doubt they will instruct the ECM to either limp, set a DTC and light the MIL, or if CARB has their way, have your car send a message to DMV that is it no longer smog compliant. Scary...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dissertation5-i.pdf (480.9 KB, 390 views)
Old 03-20-14, 10:31 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

My CEL came on also today around 11 pm. I didn't go through any puddles though. Didn't get a chance to do a scan, hopefully it'll be gone tomorrow when I start the car.
Old 03-21-14, 07:49 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i scan the code yesterday came out as P2198 bank 2 sensor 1, o2 sensor signal biased/stuck rich...I cleared the code but didn't drive enough for it to cycle through yet. Drove to work and everything is still ok, keeping my fingers cross. I think I will find out on the way home but hopefully it was nothing. I will check on the sensor after work.
Old 03-21-14, 08:05 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've always wondered how the four wire planar O2 sensors work. I am very familiar with the 5 wire designs as I was involved with the DIY-EFI wideband project. This means I know what a Nernst cell does and how a wideband O2 with 5 wires measures actual A/F ratios and why two and four wire thimble O2 sensors do not.

I found a piece on this little bit of technology. It's an interesting read if you want to know how Denso came up with a four wire wideband A/F sensor that outperforms the five wire devices. I've attached the paper. Don't bother opening it unless you are pretty determined to get through it...

Of greatest interest to me is the closing paragraph in the paper -

What I'm seeing here is, the manufacturers are going to be installing NOx and HC monitors on cars sometime in the future. This will make tuning MUCH more difficult unless 5 gas analyzers get cheap and easily available. Even then, it will take tuning to a much higher level of minimum expertise. Wow. Pretty unlikely aftermarket headers or running catless will not be noticed by these detection devices, and no doubt they will instruct the ECM to either limp, set a DTC and light the MIL, or if CARB has their way, have your car send a message to DMV that is it no longer smog compliant. Scary...
wow that is scary...
Old 03-21-14, 12:25 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's back... like a scary movie lol. there is no way I have three bad sensors so must be a short in the extension.
Old 03-21-14, 01:15 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started my car for the first time in 5 months. All seems ok no cel and I hope it stays this way.....good luck to you.
Old 03-21-14, 05:48 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

So I drove back from work today everything seems ok. I check the wiring and sensor and everything looks normal. not sure what cause it but it seem to went away after I cleared the code. I will do some more driving tonight when I go out for dinner, will update if anything new pops up. funny thing is that crazee201 got the check engine light the almost the same day.

Quick Reply: PPE header & CEL