IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE header & CEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 10:45 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Silkky headers seemed to have a famous rattle issue and it seems PPE have more of a code popping up issue.
Old 07-08-14, 12:03 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Silkky headers seemed to have a famous rattle issue and it seems PPE have more of a code popping up issue.
And I'd rather spend a few hundred every year in labour for a harness replacement rather hearing a rattle every time I drive my car. Noises that I know shouldn't be there drive me insane.
Old 07-08-14, 01:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Im still amazed that a member in our forum got pissed at me for saying that these header installs cause these CELs . Still haven't seen a stock ISF with a CEL with these codes. The cars are not designed for these headers, the sensors are not designed for these headers and added flow, and the routing of the lines for the headers are not designed for the heat coming off of these things.

You have to pay to play and to each his own ( if the recurrent issues dont bother the owner) , but I cant believe someone would say that these headers dont' create these CEL situations .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-08-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 01:42 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of variables really. Improper installations, improper routing, maybe sub standard extension harnesses, etc seem to cause the bulk of the issues.

It's not really exclusive to this platform. You have a sensor that measures catalyst efficiency, and you remove the cat, you get a cel. This is something every platform deals with. We just don't have the luxury of having the ability to access the ecu to remedy it. The current workarounds are bandaids.

I'd like to know how many people who've shielded their wiring have ran into malfunctioning harnesses?
Old 07-08-14, 02:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Im still amazed that a member in our forum got pissed at me for saying that these header installs cause these CELs . Still haven't seen a stock ISF with a CEL with these codes. The cars are not designed for these headers, the sensors are not designed for these headers and added flow, and the routing of the lines for the headers are not designed for the heat coming off of these things.

You have to pay to play and to each his own ( if the recurrent issues dont bother the owner) , but I cant believe someone would say that these headers dont' create these CEL situations .
I promised myself I would never again enter a thread where you posted. Now, I am going back on that promise. The venom you are spewing is totally false. I have had my headers since April of 2011. My PPE headers now have about 20K miles on them and I've NEVER had a CEL - NEVER.

If the Installation is done correctly and the o2 sim is installed properly and the stock sensors are in proper working condition, you won't have an issue. My last car, an Infiniti G35 also had headers. They were Crawford Headers and I sold that car with the headers still installed. Those headers had over 30K miles on them, and that car never did self destruct. Both Crawford and PPE make quality stuff. I did my homework before I went with both of them.

The palaver you're spreading is simply not true. I have over 50K miles of installed header experience, what experience do you have?

To say the added flow is a problem, man you're talking out of your ears.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-08-14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 02:43 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

It isn't the headers that cause these CEL issues, the physical header is a solid design. 90% of them are due to bad routing of extensions, or incorrect wiring of the o2 conditioner. We haven't had a whole lot of complaints on the extensions, we use them on the IS250, IS350 and ISF as well as some other cars. We have sold/used about 500 of them and sent out a hand full of replacements (mostly due to melted wires).

I have contemplated moving the O2 bung to one of the runners in the header so that the o2 sensor extensions are not needed. This however is not the correct position for the sensor, though many headers come this way.

I have personally installed 10+ sets and have never had a car leave with a CEL or call me back on one that I installed. I wish I could install them all here, but it isn't possible.

If anyone has any issue with them, please contact us first for support.
sales@ppeengineering.com or 480-615-7900
Old 07-08-14, 03:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
It isn't the headers that cause these CEL issues, the physical header is a solid design. 90% of them are due to bad routing of extensions, or incorrect wiring of the o2 conditioner. We haven't had a whole lot of complaints on the extensions, we use them on the IS250, IS350 and ISF as well as some other cars. We have sold/used about 500 of them and sent out a hand full of replacements (mostly due to melted wires).

I have contemplated moving the O2 bung to one of the runners in the header so that the o2 sensor extensions are not needed. This however is not the correct position for the sensor, though many headers come this way.

I have personally installed 10+ sets and have never had a car leave with a CEL or call me back on one that I installed. I wish I could install them all here, but it isn't possible.

If anyone has any issue with them, please contact us first for support.
sales@ppeengineering.com or 480-615-7900
Thanks so much for explaining . So I guess it does have to do with install and wiring. I respect the level of customer service . Maybe Ill swing by the shop one day since I am local. That exhaust you did for lowrideraz was INSANE btw. Very cool!!!
Old 07-08-14, 08:39 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks so much for explaining . So I guess it does have to do with install and wiring. I respect the level of customer service . Maybe Ill swing by the shop one day since I am local. That exhaust you did for lowrideraz was INSANE btw. Very cool!!!
We strive to give the best customer service and product support.

That would be cool, stop by some time and I will show you around the shop.

Best Regards,
Paul
Old 01-22-17, 04:58 PM
netasp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
i scan the code yesterday came out as P2198 bank 2 sensor 1, o2 sensor signal biased/stuck rich...I cleared the code but didn't drive enough for it to cycle through yet. Drove to work and everything is still ok, keeping my fingers cross. I think I will find out on the way home but hopefully it was nothing. I will check on the sensor after work.
sorry to bring an old thread back to life, I am too getting this nagging P2198, it stays on for a couple of days and it goes away after, sometimes I got through a tank and a half before it comes back again. I was wondering what did you do to fix your problems?

my car is 2006 GS300 but I believe the same fix applies for all.
Old 01-22-17, 08:42 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I had a P0051 code: Bank 2 ...sensor 1. Check your header O2 extenders for any issues with the wiring. Mine as in the passenger side.