IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

considering buying an F. pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 12:44 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default considering buying an F. pros and cons?

So as the title says I'm considering getting an IS-F. What, if any are the cons? The pros are obvious. This will be my primary daily driver, which I only drive a few times a week as it is. I have a company vehicle for work so don't commute with my personal vehicles. I currently have a 2011 IS250 and although I love it, I want more class and power. That's my biggest gripe. Was also considering an LS460 but keep leaning towards the F. My question here is how are maintenance costs, gas mileage? That's my biggest concern. With a big V8, do you feel it? I have a 2003 2500 Silverado with only 55000 miles because watching the gas gauge drop while I'm idling is torture. Thanks for the input in advance guys. Much appreciated.
Old 01-11-14, 01:36 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just filled up. Got 20mpg 70% city/30% fwy.

Maintenance wise.. just needed an oil change I think. Thats all

edit: this is with 305 rear tires.. so mpg may drop quite a bit from stock 255's.

Last edited by ISFpat; 01-11-14 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-11-14, 03:32 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Gas mileage is best in class. I average 20mpg according to my car's computer, and I haven't reset the gauge for over 5000 miles. That's about a 60/40 split between city/highway driving. I have gotten 28mpg on all highway trips.

Another con for some people is that this car has a limited aftermarket for power adders. 400-415whp is the max you can expect no matter what mods you add (except for nitrous).

Finally, your routine maintenance (brakes and oil changes) will be about twice as expensive as it is for your current IS250.

If you don't mind spending the extra money, there's no good reason for you not to upgrade to an ISF!
Old 01-11-14, 05:31 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On my '08 at least, the driver's seat was never as comfortable as I thought it should be. The suspension was improved considerably on the later models, and tire wear seemed excessive. If you want an econo-ride, the F isn't going to meet your expectations. Everything else about the car was very nice!
Old 01-11-14, 06:18 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

IMO the downside(s) to using the F as a daily is the probably the cost of the wear and tear items like brakes and tires. The rest of the maintenance is pretty basic stuff..not too excessive.

The fuel consumption obviously has a lot to do with your highway/city mix and your driving habits. If you are purely highway, you will get very good gas mileage overall. City driving eats into the average really quickly. I drive weekends only and average about 18 mpg with about a 40 city/50 highway mix...the remaining 10% is for back road fun. On long highway trips, the average gets up to 24. Another downside (at least in the cold weather states) of using the F as a daily driver is traction in the slush/ice - but that can be fixed pretty easily with a set snow tires.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-14, 07:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Welcome to the "F" section of this site

Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-a-daily.html

Lou
Old 01-11-14, 08:02 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I had an 08 ISF and now a 2011 ISF and both exhibit a pull to the right symptom. The 2011 ISF pulls to the right pretty badly and no one is able to fix it, and I am not the only one. Just something to keep in mind when you test drive. Other than that, dead on reliable like a Toyota.
Old 01-11-14, 08:38 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I had an 08 ISF and now a 2011 ISF and both exhibit a pull to the right symptom. The 2011 ISF pulls to the right pretty badly and no one is able to fix it, and I am not the only one. Just something to keep in mind when you test drive. Other than that, dead on reliable like a Toyota.
I have sent several emails to Corporate Lexus on the pulling to the right and front brake pad squeal noise/issue...

Hopefully more members and drivers contacting them would make a TSB/TSIB or Recall on the matter!

I have a 2012, so there is no TSB/TSIB on the front pads
Old 01-11-14, 09:18 AM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for all the replied guys, really appreciate it. The pulling to the right sounds familiar to me... this is happening to my 250 too.. when I was on 245 fronts is was minimal but when I went lower and had to switch to 225s it got worse. I was told our cars have no caster adjustments so I'd have to live with it. Reluctantly I have. I heard a rumor that the cost of brakes on an F are astronomical. Is this true? I'm pleasantly surprised to hear everyone's positive feedback on fuel consumption with the F, a colleague of mine has a 12 CTSV and the horror stories he's told me about his gas is for the birds.... I think he said he was averaging about 8 in the city. Dog poo....anyhow again thanks for the input, please keep them coming if you got them.
Old 01-11-14, 09:32 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Thanks for all the replied guys, really appreciate it. The pulling to the right sounds familiar to me... this is happening to my 250 too.. when I was on 245 fronts is was minimal but when I went lower and had to switch to 225s it got worse. I was told our cars have no caster adjustments so I'd have to live with it. Reluctantly I have. I heard a rumor that the cost of brakes on an F are astronomical. Is this true? I'm pleasantly surprised to hear everyone's positive feedback on fuel consumption with the F, a colleague of mine has a 12 CTSV and the horror stories he's told me about his gas is for the birds.... I think he said he was averaging about 8 in the city. Dog poo....anyhow again thanks for the input, please keep them coming if you got them.
only if you must have OEM parts.

I replaced the front OEM pads w/ a set of Stoptech pads, and IMO initial bite, feel, and brake dust are very close if not exactly the same as OEM pads. they also cost a fraction of what OEM pads cost.

some have tried IS-F-spec Raybestos rotors as a replacement for OEM rotors, and reviews have been positive thus far.

I figure I'll be due for rotors and pads all around in the next go-around, so my plan is to go with Raybestos rotors and Stoptech pads. Last time I priced it out, that combination costs half as much as its OEM counterpart.
Old 01-11-14, 09:35 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

lowrideraz in a few posts above posted a link that has some pretty thorough excerpts from long term ISF owners.

Brake costs are not that bad. Daily driving, 25-30k miles for the fronts can be attained. I usually replace pads and rotors at the same time. OEM front pads are ~$250-300 online, OEM front rotors will be ~$300 for both. You could go centric or some 3rd party for $100/rotor. Rears should last pretty long, even with 250 miles on the track and daily driving the ISF agressively, the rear pads are still meaty (probably 3-4mm of pad from the metal wear indicator.) Costs are ~$200 for OEM rear pads, $100-300 for rotors again. Maint costs for the ISF are nowhere near the german counterparts for the similar performance.

I am averaging 18-20mpg per tank and drive\accelerate pretty quick and at every chance I get. On the track, averaged 6-7mpg. Again, well above the german counterparts.

To ""that boy", I am in contact with Corporate about the right pull and doesn't look like I am getting much luck. They're in contact with the dealer, but so far after 2 months, no word, no solution, and they won't even bother to look at the car any longer. We might have to end up diagnosing and resolving it ourselves.....more to come in the pull to the right thread....

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6

Last edited by itsmike177; 01-11-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-11-14, 09:56 AM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull to the right? Is this issue prevalent among certain year Fs?
Old 01-11-14, 10:06 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by kdm
Pull to the right? Is this issue prevalent among certain year Fs?
I will post my "right-pull" updates in the thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...the-right.html

I had an 08 ISF, it was mostly resolved with a good but out of spec alignment, It still pulled to the right slightly though.

Now, the 2011 ISF pulls to the right pretty badly. The dealer can't and won't fix it, calls go unanswered, Lexus Corp is dragging their feet, etc.

2012's are affected, so it could just a design flaw in the vehicle itself....
Old 01-11-14, 10:16 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never noticed any pulling to the right issues with my car. You do know that each lane of a road is slightly sloped to the outside edge which will make the car naturally "pull to the right" when you let go of the wheel.
Old 01-11-14, 11:05 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Yes, the crown in the road for drainage. I know the difference and the 2011 ISF doesn't just drift to the right, it veers to the right after 3-5 seconds depending on the road crown angle.

Originally Posted by fstpassat
I have never noticed any pulling to the right issues with my car. You do know that each lane of a road is slightly sloped to the outside edge which will make the car naturally "pull to the right" when you let go of the wheel.

Quick Reply: considering buying an F. pros and cons?