IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How does the IS-F do in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 02:25 PM
antidentit
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How does the IS-F do in the rain?

I live in Seattle and I'm considering buying a 2011+ Lexus IS-F. Since the roads are wet much of the year, I'm wondering how much this will damper the experience of owning such a powerful car?

I've seen a few guys posting from WA, so I'm hoping to get some feedback on how you deal with the car in wet conditions?

For background, I just sold my 335i that was a RWD with the manual tranny and had no problems. However, I did run the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on it year round which was the perfect amount of grip for me in the wet and dry.

Does anyone run a similar setup? I want to avoid getting dedicated snow tires since it rarely snows here, not to mention I do have an older 4Runner as well that I can take out it snowpocalypse happens again!
Old 11-20-13, 02:36 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have DWS on the F, excellent tire in the rain.
Old 11-20-13, 02:39 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and...que some ISF drifting in the rain videos ^_^
Old 11-20-13, 02:45 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its fine. I run the DW version all year. Has a great traction control system.
Old 11-20-13, 03:29 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run DWS tires and had my car on the skid pad and auto course this past week. Car handles great and is very predictable. Granted how you drive the car is a significant factor. With your listed previous car you obviously know what you should and shouldn't do on wet roads and in inclement weather. The ISF will make for a nice purchase!
Old 11-20-13, 03:43 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Aside from the tires. I would think it depends also on your driving habits and road conditions (I know, hello Capt. Obvious). But for example, it rains alot where im from and some of the roads have patches of old road that was partially made of coral back then. The F handles great in the rain if you take it easy and avoid stuff like that.
Old 11-20-13, 04:29 PM
aBoVe1
Driver School Candidate

I live in Seattle and got my '11 ISF a few months back. My car came with the PSS in the front and 2 Hankook Ventus V12 in the back.

The Hankooks are definitely not the best but are ok. In the rain they hold their own. Eventually I will get new tires.

In the rain or wet conditions from a standstill, going straight, I can press down on the accelerator and once I get able 10-15MPH I can step on it and it goes. Minimal slip.

On turns some more caution should be exercised. If there is no one around then I do minimal drifting and bring out that spirited driving.

The traction control will kick in very quickly and kill the power in order to fix itself. I've forgotten to turn it off and I'm like WTF, oh stupid traction control.

If the roads are really bad, then u can turn on snow mode and the car will start off on 2nd. Less initial torque at start,

The car is loads of fun. I love driving it. Now only if I could get the idiot drivers going 50 off of I-5.
Old 11-21-13, 10:26 AM
antidentit
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aBoVe1
The car is loads of fun. I love driving it. Now only if I could get the idiot drivers going 50 off of I-5.
THIS is my biggest concern about getting a car like this. There are so many Prius and Subaru drivers up here that hog the left lane it really makes it hard to even drive the speed limit.

That's also why I want a V8 instead of a twin turbo - even if I can't go fast, I can still sound fast!
Old 11-21-13, 03:59 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

I just drove my (new to me) 2008 ISF in heavy rain yesterday for the first time and it was fine.. provided you don't try to lay much power down. I still have 255 in the rear though and maybe 275 would help a tad. I will say the TC system is awesome and does a great job of saving your **** in wet weather.. just don't get bold and turn it off unless you're in a large parking lot.
Old 11-21-13, 05:46 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

i had crazy rain the last few days here in california.... i also have DWS..... tire slips for sure.... both on dead stop and on freeway when gassing up......i was getting ready to speed up and merge into another lane on the freeway....gassed, and almost fish tailed, lucky for traction control with that beeping.... i had to turn on snow mode..maybe its just the way i drive? lol
Old 11-21-13, 09:39 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Federal 595Evos on my car, which are very good in the dry but hilarious in the wet. It takes almost no provocation to get the car to oversteer in the wet, and it takes a lot of self-control to get it off the line. The cool thing is if you set the VDIM to sport mode, the system cuts in later. I've done some pretty funny drifts in the city without meaning to and you scare the crap out of everyone (not the best thing to do actually). It's still very safe though because the system won't let you spin out.

Turn all the aids off and the car becomes a drift machine. Jab the throttle, back comes round, feather the throttle and you'll hold the car sideways for as long as you need/want. It's not fast, but it puts a smile on my face all the time.
Old 11-21-13, 10:07 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

running on DWS they handle great in rainy conditions...
Old 11-22-13, 04:34 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I lived near you I would probably avoid Sport mode most of the time. The computer will keep you pointed in the right direction, even when you stand on it.
Old 11-23-13, 06:10 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

this should answer your question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qg2h...ature=youtu.be

and if it doesnt, it handles just fine
Old 11-23-13, 03:58 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

just got my dws a few weeks ago for rain purpose. so its been great compare to the crapy tire the previous owner had on it. idk even know da name but it Didn't had good traction. get dws.

Quick Reply: How does the IS-F do in the rain?