IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

does cold weather changing the ISF sound?

Old 11-09-13, 07:35 PM
chrisfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does cold weather changing the ISF sound?

some reason i cant hear the beast sound on my isf with sport mode after 3600 rpm. it only come back on when i lower the gear while driving. BUT no sound when go off from red light even i hit 4500 rpm....
Old 11-09-13, 11:55 PM
kdm
Pole Position

You mean the second intake opening? Well that usually isn't the case.. Did you floor the car when it was still cold?
Old 11-10-13, 12:57 AM
chrisfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kdm
You mean the second intake opening? Well that usually isn't the case.. Did you floor the car when it was still cold?
yeah i hit off after red light when car's cold +_+
Old 11-10-13, 01:15 AM
chrisfan
Driver School Candidate

when go off after red light. if i use sport+manual,i wont hear the beast sound on first gear when the rpm pass 3600. But the beast sound will came back on when i up shift to 2nd.gear.

here is the tricky part.if i just use auto+sport,or just normal auto mode,when RPM hits 3600,i can hear the beast sound clearly, when i go off after red light.

(all these are going from 0MPH)
Old 11-10-13, 07:47 AM
ISFNYC
Driver

i was having the same issue this morning looks like im not the only one
Old 11-10-13, 11:09 AM
kdm
Pole Position

I don't drive manual when the car is still cold (I wait until oil temperature is at 2 bars, preferably 3) otherwise the drive is really clunky. It takes almost like a second to shift up and when down shifting it's clunky. Always get the car warmed up before any hard accelerations.
Old 11-10-13, 11:24 AM
HellaInc
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrisfan
when go off after red light. if i use sport+manual,i wont hear the beast sound on first gear when the rpm pass 3600. But the beast sound will came back on when i up shift to 2nd.gear.

here is the tricky part.if i just use auto+sport,or just normal auto mode,when RPM hits 3600,i can hear the beast sound clearly, when i go off after red light.

(all these are going from 0MPH)
Are you punching the throttle or gradually giving it gas past 3600rpm. I usually notice the sound only when punching the throttle. And just no sound and really sluggish when just driving normally in 1st passing 3600rpm. Yeah and always wait for at least for you tranny to warm up 3-4 bars before driving manually in SPORT mode.
Old 11-10-13, 06:04 PM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's like most Toyota cars the vvti won't even kick in when it's not up to temp. It's very hard on the engine to Rev a lot when it's cold
Old 11-10-13, 07:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
If it's like most Toyota cars the vvti won't even kick in when it's not up to temp. It's very hard on the engine to Rev a lot when it's cold
VVTi is not VTEC or even remotely like it. It "kicks in" all the time. Agree, punishing a cold engine will punish your wallet in the long run for sure.
Old 11-11-13, 06:50 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
VVTi is not VTEC or even remotely like it. It "kicks in" all the time. Agree, punishing a cold engine will punish your wallet in the long run for sure.
And that's why I didn't say VTEC - never owned a Honda and don't want one. Not sure if this system works the same way as other Toyota engines on the VVTi system, but most won't activate under certain engine temps.

The blacktop enigne they are talking about is what I had before. Most of the 4 cylinders work the same way...
Check out this page about 1/2 way down: http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm
"There is absolutely NO VVT operation when the coolant tempt is below 50°C except for that brief moment when you operate the starter. Reason obvious, who want to stress a cold engine."

In fact if you check this link it does indeed describe the VVti system on our specific engine: http://www.supra-2urgse.com/?p=66
"Hydraulic VVT-i cannot operate below 1000rpm or when the engine is cold."

Last edited by rmillsISF; 11-11-13 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 08:08 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

good info. So the exhaust VVTi only works after a certain temperature or above 1000rpm but the intake VVTi works all the time.
Old 11-12-13, 06:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
And that's why I didn't say VTEC - never owned a Honda and don't want one. Not sure if this system works the same way as other Toyota engines on the VVTi system, but most won't activate under certain engine temps.

The blacktop enigne they are talking about is what I had before. Most of the 4 cylinders work the same way...
Check out this page about 1/2 way down: http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm
"There is absolutely NO VVT operation when the coolant tempt is below 50°C except for that brief moment when you operate the starter. Reason obvious, who want to stress a cold engine."

In fact if you check this link it does indeed describe the VVti system on our specific engine: http://www.supra-2urgse.com/?p=66
"Hydraulic VVT-i cannot operate below 1000rpm or when the engine is cold."
So the point of the comment is, when VVTi(E) is active, it doesn't "kick in" it just changes the lobe center of the cam timing. VTEC does quite literally kick in with additional valve lift. So saying VVTi "kicks in" isn't very accurate. Your reference sources are close, but no cigar on the 2UR-GSE. Here's what Lexus trains their techs:
The variable valve timing system is designed to control the intake and exhaust (on some systems) camshaft(s) to provide valve timing that is optimally suited to the engine conditions. This improves torque in all speed ranges, as well as increased fuel economy and reduced exhaust emissions. Camshaft timing is varied based on engine operating conditions such as intake air volume, throttle position, and engine coolant temperature. The ECM checks the actual valve timing based on input from the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor.
There are several types of variable valve timing systems in use on Toyota and Lexus vehicles, including VVT-i, Dual VVT-i, and VVT-iE. It is essential that the VVT system be correctly identified before beginning diagnosis. The best source for identifying the VVT system on a specific vehicle is the Repair Manual.
The VVT-i system phases only the intake camshaft and includes the ECM, the oil control valve (OCV), and the VVT controller (on the camshaft). The ECM controls the OCV duty-cycle, which in turn regulates the oil pressure supplied to the VVT controller. Because the VVT-i system relies on oil pressure to operate, valve timing will not be optimized when the engine is cold or at low engine speeds.
The Dual VVT-i system phases both the intake and exhaust camshafts and includes the same components as the VVT-i on all camshafts.
The VVT-iE system uses electric motors to phase the intake camshafts. The exhaust camshaft is phased using the same components as the VVT-i system. Because the intake camshaft is phased by electric motors, it can optimize valve timing even when the engine oil pressure is low, such as when the engine oil temperature or the engine speed is low.
So, as I originally said, VVTiE as implemented on the 2UR-GSE never "kicks in" because it's working all the time. Another thing that is quite important to understand - the 2UR-GSE has 10 quarts of oil in it. VVTi on the exhaust side will start as soon as THW is sufficient to go into closed loop. The oil might still be quite cold, and IME, the oil won't get up to temperature under typical driving conditions in winter time for about 25 minutes. THW, the coolant temperature, is managed so the engine only runs a very short time in open loop on cold cycle.

Back to the OP's original question - how does the secondary air inlet work - or why does it not work when the engine is cold? There is nothing in Lexus technical documentation saying anything about engine temperature and the dual mode intake. The ECM has to decide to switch it on, but the programming making this happen is not available to the public, or even to service techs at the dealership level. I would not personally put the crop to a cold engine any more than I would try maximum weight on my first set at the gym. It's really bad for service life and can cause very permanent damage.