IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Extended Warranty - 3rd party

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 01:51 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry Extended Warranty - 3rd party

Due to my ISF being just over 5 years old, it no longer qualifies for an extended warranty thru Lexus. I purchased a 3rd party warranty thru my financing institution; however, that contract was cancelled today by the warranty company due to aftermarket modifications that are non-OEM (i.e. Joe-Z exhaust).

Is there any warranty company that offers extended coverage even if your car has non-OEM aftermarket modifications? TIA
Old 10-15-13, 01:57 PM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had third party warranties before with aftermarket parts but, I never told them I did.
Old 10-15-13, 02:00 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm... thats weird.. I have a custom exhaust & Joez Intake... Lexus is offering me the extended warranty to me however its a bit pricey. might want to check with another dealer if i were you....

btw this is for the power train , silver , gold or Platinum....

depending on which you get prices varies (i.e milage, years ect...) how many miles do you have?
Old 10-15-13, 02:45 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

How where they made aware of the aftermarket parts??
The i.e. list is much much longer...

Normally EXTENDED WARRANTIES can be added to cars that are not "modified"..

That being said, many of us that have the Extended Warranties, normally don't say or hand over a list of mods done to the car when purchasing one

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-15-13 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 03:40 PM
kteng7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an off topic question but can you extended the warranty again after the current extended warranty ?
Old 10-15-13, 05:39 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Well, the biggest problem was that I had to make my first "claim" just 5 days after buying the car. Naturally, the company was skeptical, so they sent a guy to inspect the car. I was screwed from the get go. :-/

JDM, my service guy said the car didn't qualify because it is technically more than 5 years old. It hit the road in May '08.

So, I'm tryin to see if there's another warranty company possibility.
Old 10-16-13, 03:37 PM
runyonwc
Driver School Candidate

Would you mind saying what the name of the warranty company is? I just purchased a warranty for my '08 through my credit union too. I haven't had to use it yet but hopefully I won't run into the same problem as you.
Old 10-16-13, 05:17 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

First Guard
Old 10-17-13, 11:54 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I've got a 3rd party extended warranty...lemme see if I can find their name. It was about $2k for mine, and provided coverage from 40k miles (when I bought the car) up to 100k or 5 years. I figured by then I'd switch cars so $2k to cover any electrical issues alone seemed worth it. Case in point, my cd changer is dead currently.

I've never heard of a warranty being completely voided/cancelled before. I have only heard of specific claims being denied due to mods. If your power window stops working, what the hell difference does it make that you have an exhaust? None.

But if your issue is related to "strain" on the transmission or engine, then it's a very grey area where it's easy to get screwed.

It's also why I'll remove my dvd bypass and ipod kits before taking my car to the dealer for the cd changer.

Last edited by anxiouz; 10-17-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 03:33 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Due to my ISF being just over 5 years old, it no longer qualifies for an extended warranty thru Lexus. I purchased a 3rd party warranty thru my financing institution; however, that contract was cancelled today by the warranty company due to aftermarket modifications that are non-OEM (i.e. Joe-Z exhaust).

Is there any warranty company that offers extended coverage even if your car has non-OEM aftermarket modifications? TIA

Before looking for another warranty, you might want to research the laws regarding such warranties.

The warranty company simply can not void your contract just because you have aftermarket modifications, UNLESS the car develops a problem which can be traced directly to the modifications themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Old 10-17-13, 03:36 PM
2URGSE
Racer

After buying a 3rd party warranty through an Infiniti Dealership for my used Honda Accord, I will never buy such warranty again.

They will do EVERYTHING they can not to honor it when you really need it the most. In my case it was a rattling timing chain cover.

A waste of $1300 if you ask me, although I had it financed into the car payments.
Old 10-18-13, 05:45 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Before looking for another warranty, you might want to research the laws regarding such warranties.

The warranty company simply can not void your contract just because you have aftermarket modifications, UNLESS the car develops a problem which can be traced directly to the modifications themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
They can b/c of this line in the legislation, specifically the underlined part: may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty

Their warranty clearly states it.
Old 10-23-13, 01:24 PM
2URGSE
Racer

I will sum it up by saying, don't waste your $$$$ on a 3rd party warranty. Dealing with them is nothing but a PITA.

Having them deal with whomever is repairing your vehicle is even more of a pain........I did that for a week with my Honda Accord, and got absolutely nowhere.
Old 10-27-13, 10:56 AM
djveritas
Driver School Candidate

Call up my buddy Scott at Carchex. I've gotten a couple of warranties through them and are a pretty reputable company. They also have an inspection service if you buy a car far from home. www.carchex.com

Scott Wenzel
1-877-CARCHEX ext. 1142
Old 10-27-13, 12:46 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying a third-party EW after original manufacture warranty expired is pretty much worthless. For example, they will replace a water pump but not the gasket. Good luck disputing their coverage denial to prove it's the pump and not the gasket.

Go over word by word and understand the policy before dumping the $ down the drain.