IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Silver State Classic Challenge, IS-F 2nd Place Finish!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 11:31 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Did you attempt to use the cars average speed function? I know its not as specific to the thousandths place, but curious if it would've worked.

Good times, sounds like a lot of fun!
Lol average speed is 105mph.. sounds pretty good to me

BTW congrats on your podium finish!
Old 09-19-13, 11:35 AM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Thanks for the kudos!

The goal of the race is to come as close as possible to averaging your target speed as possible without breaking your tech speed or going below your minumum speed. My division was the 105mph division. For "Rookies" (first time event participants), you can only be in divisions 110 and lower. I picked this category because there are a lot of "sandbagging veterans" who race in the 110 class to beat the rookies. My tech speed (max speed) for the race was limited at 124mph, if I would have broken that I would have been DQ'd, and my minimum speed was 80mph, if I would have gone below that I would have been DQ'd as well. So basically im trying to average 105mph for 90 miles on an closed road cousre not a track. Our strategy (which worked) involved an excel spread sheet that had us reaching each mile marker at a specific time, within a thousandth of a second. At the beginning of the race you are playing "catch-up" because you are starting at zero, so for the first 1.6 miles I held at 118mph then started dialing it back down to about 110 for the next 50 miles or so. However, there are up hills, downhills, and turns which are all affecting your average speed and time. At around mile 70 or so there is a section called "the narrows" which is a 2 mile high speed mountain canyon section. This is the section that makes or breaks your race. We prcaticed here to where I felt comfortable driving at about 105mph through the canyon. Our spreadsheet had us coming through here at 95mph then exiting at 108mph. When you cross the finish line you want to hit a specific time, which for our division at 105mph was 51:4286 and we crossed at .5346 of a second fast, lol basically a blink of an eye! This time put our average speed at 105.0182 mph, but you are scored off of your time crossing the finish line and not you actual average speed.

Did this help, or just make it more confusing!!?? lol
Extremely well explained. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading but VBB beat me to the punch.
Old 09-19-13, 11:49 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Did you attempt to use the cars average speed function? I know its not as specific to the thousandths place, but curious if it would've worked.

Good times, sounds like a lot of fun!
Thats actually a really good question because I forgot to mention that while practicing and building the spreadsheet with our Garmin handheld GPS, my navigator and I determined that the cars odometer is off by 3mph at 80mph, off by 4mph at 105mph, and off by 4 mph at 118mph. The car's speedometer (and average speed function) read faster than what we are really going. This has some to do with aftermarket wheel and tires not being OEM, if its dead on with OEM wheels and tires, I don't know. We based all speed with a GPS that read to the thousandth of a second that we mounted on the dash in view of both me and the navigator. If we would have used the car's speedometer, our actual time would have been slow and we would have actually have avereged between 101 and 102mph.
Old 09-19-13, 02:34 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is so cool. Good job! This race is so awesome, jealous!