IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Silver State Classic Challenge, IS-F 2nd Place Finish!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 09:21 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Great job!
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 09-16-13, 09:45 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! It was absolutely a lot of fun. The easy part was the driving, the hard part was on the navigator dialing us in using the GPS and 2 stop watches at every mile marker. Hopefully next year we can get a few more F's out there!

Heres the in cab GoPro footage on YouTube from the start line...

Old 09-16-13, 09:59 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Dat Launch...

"If you're driving an IS-F, you've done something right"

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Thanks guys! It was absolutely a lot of fun. The easy part was the driving, the hard part was on the navigator dialing us in using the GPS and 2 stop watches at every mile marker. Hopefully next year we can get a few more F's out there!

Heres the in cab GoPro footage on YouTube from the start line...

http://youtu.be/6b1BYvzmHck
Old 09-17-13, 01:13 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great work and congrats!!

Just curious... what car won first place in your division?
Old 09-17-13, 06:45 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

job well done!!! congrats on the finish and showing everyone the F!!
Old 09-17-13, 02:55 PM
GBFisFun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations!!! Well done and like the others, way to represent!
Old 09-18-13, 07:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Congrats!

Results are here: http://www.sscc.us/event_results/res...3-sscc.htm#125

Scroll down to 105 mph class.
Old 09-18-13, 08:38 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Wow that looks like a lot of fun. Congrats man!
Old 09-19-13, 07:20 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beating a dead horse but WAY TO REP LEXUS MAN! Didn't see any other Lexus on the list....gives some recognition to the F brand.
Old 09-19-13, 09:28 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Good work guys!
Old 09-19-13, 10:12 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats! Nice to see you out there representing the ISF! Your car looks great!

Now for those of us that don't quite understand this type of racing... what is the goal? It seems similar to bracket racing at a drag strip where you try to run as close to your dial in as you can, but around a road course? How do you determine what MPH bracket you'll be in (meaning, why the 105mph bracket)?

I know the above may seem like silly questions, but I'm generally curious as to how the various classes or brackets are determined. It would seem that a car's performance has very little to do with being able to win, so if you have a bone stock Honda Civic and a Navigator that can work a stop watch, that's all you need... or am I way off with this?
Old 09-19-13, 10:37 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Good question, I would like to know the same thing, and why was it necessary to put all those decals on the car?
Old 09-19-13, 11:06 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
Congrats! Nice to see you out there representing the ISF! Your car looks great!

Now for those of us that don't quite understand this type of racing... what is the goal? It seems similar to bracket racing at a drag strip where you try to run as close to your dial in as you can, but around a road course? How do you determine what MPH bracket you'll be in (meaning, why the 105mph bracket)?

I know the above may seem like silly questions, but I'm generally curious as to how the various classes or brackets are determined. It would seem that a car's performance has very little to do with being able to win, so if you have a bone stock Honda Civic and a Navigator that can work a stop watch, that's all you need... or am I way off with this?
Thanks for the kudos!

The goal of the race is to come as close as possible to averaging your target speed as possible without breaking your tech speed or going below your minumum speed. My division was the 105mph division. For "Rookies" (first time event participants), you can only be in divisions 110 and lower. I picked this category because there are a lot of "sandbagging veterans" who race in the 110 class to beat the rookies. My tech speed (max speed) for the race was limited at 124mph, if I would have broken that I would have been DQ'd, and my minimum speed was 80mph, if I would have gone below that I would have been DQ'd as well. So basically im trying to average 105mph for 90 miles on an closed road cousre not a track. Our strategy (which worked) involved an excel spread sheet that had us reaching each mile marker at a specific time, within a thousandth of a second. At the beginning of the race you are playing "catch-up" because you are starting at zero, so for the first 1.6 miles I held at 118mph then started dialing it back down to about 110 for the next 50 miles or so. However, there are up hills, downhills, and turns which are all affecting your average speed and time. At around mile 70 or so there is a section called "the narrows" which is a 2 mile high speed mountain canyon section. This is the section that makes or breaks your race. We prcaticed here to where I felt comfortable driving at about 105mph through the canyon. Our spreadsheet had us coming through here at 95mph then exiting at 108mph. When you cross the finish line you want to hit a specific time, which for our division at 105mph was 51:4286 and we crossed at .5346 of a second fast, lol basically a blink of an eye! This time put our average speed at 105.0182 mph, but you are scored off of your time crossing the finish line and not you actual average speed.

Did this help, or just make it more confusing!!?? lol
Old 09-19-13, 11:12 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
^ Good question, I would like to know the same thing, and why was it necessary to put all those decals on the car?
The K&N and Optima decals were required because they were the main event sponsons. The other decals were team stickers and decals from sponsors who helped me with a few things. My team was "Team Invaders", the import car or foreign driver team. Our team took fourth overall. Lol, the Corvette teams snatched up the top spots!
Old 09-19-13, 11:24 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Did you attempt to use the cars average speed function? I know its not as specific to the thousandths place, but curious if it would've worked.

Good times, sounds like a lot of fun!

Quick Reply: Silver State Classic Challenge, IS-F 2nd Place Finish!!!