Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

u only have exhaust and intake u should pass easily. I'm talking about FBO
Old 10-29-19, 04:39 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Not anymore. Maybe 5 years ago or longer.
what u talking about ? all my buddies ISF socal here doing in for the last several years about 150$ now pricing is up a bit .
The following users liked this post:
ISFmeister (04-02-23)
Old 10-29-19, 07:56 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Illegitimate smogs don't exist, all of us always do it by the book ..
The following 2 users liked this post by James7:
davidcausa (10-29-19), Wh0pp3r (10-30-19)
Old 10-29-19, 09:54 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

There’s a price for everything Lol
The following users liked this post:
James7 (10-30-19)
Old 10-29-19, 11:05 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Hello All,

2011 ISF here with ~71k miles in Southern California. Got the DMV renewal and states "SMOG certification required at a STAR station."
The ISF only has an X-Force catback exhaust, so the secondary cats are removed. No headers, no intake mod in the engine bay etc.

Anyone have any ideas if it will pass with a modded exhaust at "STAR station," and if not, any recommendations of a "friendly" STAR smog station in SCAL?

Thanks for anyone's input.
I got a STAR notice at the beginning of the year and passed with the Bazooka exhaust which has no secondary cats or mufflers. I was worried I wouldn't pass so I took it to a "whole in the wall" STAR station and never told them anything. Passed without them giving me any crap for it and tbh idk if they even had a lift lol

I live in Fresno not SoCal so it all depends how strict shops are down there. I've smogged my car twice, once at a regular smog station and this year at a STAR station and never had to pay anybody to dirty smog it.
Old 10-30-19, 09:45 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
I got a STAR notice at the beginning of the year and passed with the Bazooka exhaust which has no secondary cats or mufflers. I was worried I wouldn't pass so I took it to a "whole in the wall" STAR station and never told them anything. Passed without them giving me any crap for it and tbh idk if they even had a lift lol

I live in Fresno not SoCal so it all depends how strict shops are down there. I've smogged my car twice, once at a regular smog station and this year at a STAR station and never had to pay anybody to dirty smog it.
Thanks for the info. Just went to a STAR smog station and it failed the visual check of the catback XForce exhaust. Everything else passed since it is stock.
Didn't say a word about mods, but he referenced some book and used a mirror to check under the car for 4 cats. Failed because 2 were missing....

So, I either find another STAR smog station that is more "friendly" or put the stock exhaust back on......
Old 10-30-19, 01:40 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the info. Just went to a STAR smog station and it failed the visual check of the catback XForce exhaust. Everything else passed since it is stock.
Didn't say a word about mods, but he referenced some book and used a mirror to check under the car for 4 cats. Failed because 2 were missing....

So, I either find another STAR smog station that is more "friendly" or put the stock exhaust back on......
Where in CA are you? and did it just fail visual?
Old 10-30-19, 02:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^

Everything else passed since it is stock.
Lou
Old 10-30-19, 02:33 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I would do is scope out some STAR stations near you and look for a run down one that seems like they could really use the money. Your best bet is probably somewhere in the more poorer parts of towns. Those types of shops usually just care to see if your car throws a code or not and then sends you on your way.

but if you already tried that then your safest bet is to just take the exhaust off and then put it back on
Old 10-31-19, 09:24 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

That is not a catback exhaust. A catback exhaust retains all factory cats and replaces everything from the cats back to the rear bumper. Also, most shops nowadays know what to look for and will fail you 9/10 times if you have missing catalytic converters. Your best bet is to return the exhaust to stock, SMOG legally, then reinstall. The CA BAR has really clamped down on these things in the past few years and you're going to have a hard time finding someone to risk their license, or worse for $150-$200. Just another "perk" of living in CA ...
Old 10-31-19, 09:27 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2010ISF

you got lucky. this is the exception, not the rule.
Old 10-31-19, 10:14 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
That is not a catback exhaust. A catback exhaust retains all factory cats and replaces everything from the cats back to the rear bumper. Also, most shops nowadays know what to look for and will fail you 9/10 times if you have missing catalytic converters. Your best bet is to return the exhaust to stock, SMOG legally, then reinstall. The CA BAR has really clamped down on these things in the past few years and you're going to have a hard time finding someone to risk their license, or worse for $150-$200. Just another "perk" of living in CA ...
Yeah, looks like that's the way to go...
On a separate note, I always thought "catback" meant everything the aftermarket exhaust replaces from the "precats" in the header and after. Meaning, everything after the 2 front cats (precats) that are replaced with the aftermarket exhaust is catback, hence the term. Always thought, axelback meants mufflers only, retaining all cats.
Old 10-31-19, 10:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lawrence1
That is not a catback exhaust. A catback exhaust retains all factory cats and replaces everything from the cats back to the rear bumper.
Your statement is simply not true. A "cat back" exhaust system, at least for the Lexus line, is a complete exhaust system that utilizes the factory exhaust manifold, with its integrated catalytic converter, and replaces the complete factory exhaust system. The only type of exhaust that would retain the secondary cats is know as an "axle back"

itsmike177 is correct in his assumption. However "precats" is an incorrect description. The front cats are the primary cats and the ones down stream are the secondary cats.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 10-31-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 01:18 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flowrider
Your statement is simply not true. A "cat back" exhaust system, at least for the Lexus line, is a complete exhaust system that utilizes the factory exhaust manifold, with its integrated catalytic converter, and replaces the complete factory exhaust system. The only type of exhaust that would retain the secondary cats is know as an "axle back"

itsmike177 is correct in his assumption. However "precats" is an incorrect description. The front cats are the primary cats and the ones down stream are the secondary cats.

Lou
You are absolutely wrong.
Old 10-31-19, 03:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Hey Guy

Not going to argue with you. But you really need to educative yourself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...stock-now.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-exhaust.html

Lou

Quick Reply: California Smog Check Official thread