ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS F (2008-2014) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/)
-   -   California Smog Check Official thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/705708-california-smog-check-official-thread.html)

Rossi 08-16-13 01:57 PM

California Smog Check Official thread

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone,

As our cars hitting the year five, smog check is here!
Please LIST your mods and smog check RESULTS.

I was informed on several occasions, that BORLA and JoeZ full cat-backs passed sniffer
with flying colors as ISF is a low emission vehicle.

With California Smog check law changing, anyone pulled off headers etc?

rominl 08-16-13 03:12 PM

i don't see how smog could be a problem for any cat-back exhaust? i never had problems with any of my cars with catback. touching the headers and cat, that's a different question (on top of visual)

cremaster 08-16-13 03:22 PM

well, the borla catback system eliminates the secondary cats, so maybe won't pass visual if the guy knows what he's looking for. when it's time for me, i'm just taking it to a 'friendly' place to make sure i pass; don't want to potentially waste my time.

anxiouz 08-16-13 07:23 PM

I've never failed any visual smog test. In any car I've owned. Cats or not.

lorenr 08-16-13 09:52 PM

They usually just look at the PCM

Most states simply examine the power train control module to see if there are any codes. The states and I'm sure California is one of them cannot afford to hire an employee that would have any experience with even a couple of the cars they test.

Most have never seen an IS F, let alone knowing if it has two or four catalytic converters. They would never know what to look for in a visual examination unless we told them we'd changed something. Maybe one in ten examiners might have heard what a Borla exhaust system is but still could never identify one.

By the way I'm sure that our cars would pass emissions with no converters unless there was a shorted spark plug or fouled/plugged injectors.

:uh:

rominl 08-16-13 11:18 PM

same here, the only visual they do is intake (didn't even look down more for headers). i have yet to see one that lies down or use mirror to look underneath

zazzn 08-17-13 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by anxiouz (Post 8094548)
I've never failed any visual smog test. In any car I've owned. Cats or not.

I think this is the best post yet.

Helps EVERYONE on the forum... lol

i3urton 08-17-13 12:31 PM

joez exhaust pass !!

RBnSD 08-24-13 05:47 PM

I've heard that F-Sport Intakes pass the California Smog Inspection. Anyone with experience here or other aftermarket intakes?

Just F Me 08-24-13 07:06 PM

All Asian car owners ALWAYS manage to pass smog...don't ask me why :D

GriMan 08-24-13 08:04 PM

^^^ hahaha. Im asian and i'm scurd putting full exhaust on my F cuz of cali smog test.

boostftw 08-24-13 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Just F Me (Post 8106714)
All Asian car owners ALWAYS manage to pass smog...don't ask me why :D

lol :thumbup:

ISF4life 08-27-13 11:21 AM

Benjamin Franklin are needed of all transactions ;):p

quarius 08-27-13 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by blitz_714 (Post 8110640)
Benjamin Franklin are needed of all transactions ;):p

^^ This I can confirm. Had to recently take care of smog with PPE headers and JoeZ exhaust. Of course it doesn't help not having cats either. Oh well, that's what we get for living in CA :sad:

ISFpat 12-29-13 06:01 PM

bump. need to smog my car soon, does removing the secondary cat pass smog emissions? I'm not talking about the visual.